Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    coach, what do you think of mayfield's arm talent?
    Well, he obviously has the strength to make all the throws. People assume it's not because of his size, but if you watch enough of him, he drops 50 yard passes off of his back foot. What impresses me the most is his accuracy while on the run. NCAA QB's dont throw into too many windows in college, but the way he can disctate location when he's moving is impressive and leads me to believe the accuracy will translate to the NFL.

IMO, the only question marks with Mayfield have to do with peronality (which I think will be fine), and height/size (which plenty of QB's have proven is not a problem)

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Well, he obviously has the strength to make all the throws. People assume it's not because of his size, but if you watch enough of him, he drops 50 yard passes off of his back foot. What impresses me the most is his accuracy while on the run. NCAA QB's dont throw into too many windows in college, but the way he can disctate location when he's moving is impressive and leads me to believe the accuracy will translate to the NFL.

IMO, the only question marks with Mayfield have to do with peronality (which I think will be fine), and height/size (which plenty of QB's have proven is not a problem)

I made a post earlier today about him. His arm too surprised me. Nice arm. I also complimented his willingness to lead and never say die. I love that. Height and size is the last thing I look at when grading QBs. Accuracy is one, but tell me.......What I saw from the kid was:

He rarely ever threads the needle
    He has guys open and does not make the throw, then he runs around and throws complete to the guy who was open in the first place
    I see him doing more of the tebow ball, waiting for his wr and routes to break down and hitting the wr then, and far less of hitting the guy during the 1st or 2nd read
    I dont see him hitting his first or second read out of breaks all that much anyway.

Can he read a defense? Do you think he can? I have not seen enough of him yet to form that opinion, but I am starting to lean that he does not. He reminds me of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. I like the Romo part, I hate the Dak part. I am not sure which one he will be more of. He scares me.

What do you think?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    True enough. Manziel, did great against Alabama and Tebow did great against the SEC etc. Does not really mean much. Those offenses (no huddle spread read option) puts significant pressure on defenses. Especially when a defense faces it for the first time. GA for example was a bit overwhelmed by the quick pace and lets face it, Okla gets top athletes.

However, in that game as GA adjusted to it, that offense started looking less effective.

I doubt the Broncos would be installing an offense that fits what Mayfield thrived in. I dont even know, I am assuming Musgrave is still the coordinator. Do you think Mayfield will fit into that system?
    College is just so different than the pros these days. Big-time college coaches are trying to take all the initiative out of the QBs hands and just have them run the plays they called. The spread offenses work because even on the best college teams, there are soft spots on the defense, and if you have an elite playmaker on offense, then you can exploit that weakness.

In short, they win by having better athletes. But, in the NFL every team has elite athletes. Everybody got drafted, or signed as a FA. They all had elite talent before they could even get an invite to an NFL camp. The difference between the Browns and the Patriots in terms of talent level is just not remotely the same as the difference between say Alabama and 0-8 Tennessee.

According to Kyle Shanahan the College game has diverged so much from the pro game that the only thing NFL teams can evaluate is arm talent. And even that is tough, because guys are wide open in college. You almost never see a WR wide open in the NFL unless there has been a blown coverage. QBs have to have great anticipation to throw a guy open.

They can't wait to see a WR open, and then throw the ball. They have to be able to anticipate, throw to a spot with perfect timing and great accuracy in order to make a completion. And often the DB has great hands and will intercept the ball if it's thrown behind the WR or the timing is off by a split second.

If you throw against guys like Aqib Talib or Chris Harris you better have pinpoint accuracy because they are not only looking to get the ball, they expect to return it to the house too. Talib has better hands than some NFL WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    They want to get a good long look no doubt. I have this feeling that we are going to use this QB thing as great bait to get someone to trade up.....I just think he wants Barkley or Arden Key or someone. I do not think we draft a QB in with our first pick.
    If we don't sign a long term starting option in FA, I can almost guarantee you we will draft a QB at #5 if not trade up. Elway isn't going to try and limp along for another year with another project QB. He won't wait until round 2/3 draft someone.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    If we don't sign a long term starting option in FA, I can almost guarantee you we will draft a QB at #5 if not trade up. Elway isn't going to try and limp along for another year with another project QB. He won't wait until round 2/3 draft someone.
    but frey, we gotta "see what we have" with chad kelly!

Adopted Bronco:

I made a post earlier today about him. His arm too surprised me. Nice arm. I also complimented his willingness to lead and never say die. I love that. Height and size is the last thing I look at when grading QBs. Accuracy is one, but tell me.......What I saw from the kid was:

He rarely ever threads the needle
    He has guys open and does not make the throw, then he runs around and throws complete to the guy who was open in the first place
    I see him doing more of the tebow ball, waiting for his wr and routes to break down and hitting the wr then, and far less of hitting the guy during the 1st or 2nd read
    I dont see him hitting his first or second read out of breaks all that much anyway.

Can he read a defense? Do you think he can? I have not seen enough of him yet to form that opinion, but I am starting to lean that he does not. He reminds me of Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. I like the Romo part, I hate the Dak part. I am not sure which one he will be more of. He scares me.

What do you think?
    Unfortunately, the OU offense isnt designed around tight window throws. But fortunately, we'll find the answer with Senior Bowl week, Pro Day and the combine.

I think the glaring difference between Mayfield and Prescott is Mayfield isnt afraid to throw the ball downfield...and he does it with good accuracy, too.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Unfortunately, the OU offense isnt designed around tight window throws. But fortunately, we'll find the answer with Senior Bowl week, Pro Day and the combine.

I think the glaring difference between Mayfield and Prescott is Mayfield isnt afraid to throw the ball downfield...and he does it with good accuracy, too.
    I haven't read all your posts, but you sound like a Mayfield supporter. Would you want the Broncos to draft him?

but frey, we gotta "see what we have" with chad kelly!

I like Kelly more than Baker Mayfield. More than Josh Allen. What do you think those two have on Swaggy that he cannot do?
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I like Kelly more than Baker Mayfield. More than Josh Allen. What do you think those two have on Swaggy that he cannot do?
    High draft status?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

be good enough that some scout thinks they're worth drafting?

be good enough that some scout thinks they're worth drafting?
    Most had Chad Kelly as a 1st - 3rd rd prospect....Machine Gunning people aside.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Most had Chad Kelly as a 1st - 3rd rd prospect....Machine Gunning people aside.
    BUT, he went as Mr. Irrelevant.

"most" don't have anything to do with the actual draft.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I haven't read all your posts, but you sound like a Mayfield supporter. Would you want the Broncos to draft him?
    I prefer Cousins at the right price, but if the draft is the way we're going to go, my list would be Darnold, Mayfield, Rudolph, Rosen, Jackson, Allen. In that order.

15. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I think it's safe to say Kelly will be on the roster next year, so he'll get his chance.

17. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    BUT, he went as Mr. Irrelevant.

"most" don't have anything to do with the actual draft.

And a Heisman runner up with no off field issues went in the 6th rd to the patriots.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information