Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    If he takes Allen or Mayfield at 5 he's a dumbass.
    Allen is the truth. You shush your mouth you insolent...gringo? We call Dave an insolent Brit...

Regardless you're insolent and I won't stand for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    If he takes Allen or Mayfield at 5 he's a dumbass.
    only if the guy doesn't pan out. . . however, FTR, i'm not saying i think he would take either of them at #5. . . there are more ways to skin a cat than that. . . we'll have plenty of ammo to move around if we want to. . . personally, i expect JFE to go hard after cousins. . . i don't think he's settling for tyrod and chad kelly if he can't get kirk, though. . . we know for a fact that we're going to get a good look at allen and mayfield during the senior bowl, and we've specifically asked for baker on our squad. . . it just makes sense to me that we'll likely settle on one of those guys as Plan B. . . who knows, though? there's also a rumor that we love quentin nelson, so maybe we grab him at 5, and take mason rudolph in the 2nd. . . i'm extremely confident that john's not rolling with TT, packin' lunch and swag kelly as his QB room for next year, in any case. . . he went on a wild free agent spending spree after losing the super bowl, i think we can all rest assured that he has a go big or go home type of plan to attack this off-season. . . JMO, obviously, but i think we can read that much in the tea leaves from here. . .

3. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

I'm curious about this scenario:
    -Redskins sign Cousins long-term, taking Broncos out of running
    -AJ McCarron wins his arbitration and becomes an UFA.

Do the Broncos pursue AJ McCarron ahead of other players? Vance Joseph was on the coaching staff for two years while AJ was there, so it's possible he might have some information (assuming Vance isn't as incompetent as he showed last year). If so, what is McCarron's market value?

And even if the Broncos sign a non-Cousins quarterback (Bridgewater, Tyrod, Bradford, McCarron), do they do what the Bears did and "commit" to him with a contract like Mike Glennon got simply to smokescreen on draft day to take a QB?

I would honestly rank my QB preferences as:
    1. Kirk Cousins long-term deal (franchise commits to him). Allows OLine in draft, or trading back.
    2. AJ McCarron long-term deal with out after year 2. (Franchise has wiggle room on committing to him). Allows OLine in draft, trading back, or grabbing a Darnold/Rosen that falls.
    3. Sign a Tyrod or Bridgewater on front-loaded deal. Darnold/Rosen via trading up or their draft stock falling between now and draft day (it happens).
    4. Sign a Tyrod or Bridgewater on front-loaded deal. Trade back for Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.
    5. Sign a Tyrod or Bridgewater on front-loaded deal. Start them, take non-QB BPA or trade back, and pray that Paxton somehow develops.

Under no circumstances do I want Alex Smith. I would rather sign Cutler to start for a year as a mentor than give the Chiefs any kind of draft pick.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

No one would want to see what Kelly has? Meaning, I would say get a veteran (not a 30 million dollar Cousins) and have Kelly groomed as a backup. Let him go through a TC, and an entire season. See what he has. He had better stats in college in the same conference than Dak Prescott.

I would rather that scenario play out and have them draft an ELITE ILB with that 5th pick. Not some project with Allen or another Big XII QB that will not make it in the NFL.

I guess that is not going to be the case. If they sign a 30 million dollar Cousins, then this team will SUFFER in other areas. I will point it out again about that reality with ALL franchises who have a HIGH PRICED QB. We can all ignore that reality, but that is the reality.

As it is, they are already going to be letting key players from that defense that WON THE SB (had zero to do with Manning) go. How many guys are now gone from that starting defense? Malik, Trevathan, TJ Ward, Sylvester Williams, Demarcus Ware? Who else is not going to be there in order to have enough money to sign Cousins? Talib? Who else?

Anyway, while Cousins would make the offense better, just because Elway cannot draft QBs and we have three shits now, it won't mean much in the long run. Then again, with the hard cap it is difficult to ever plan for the long run. Really nearly impossible.

I am babbling, cause I really have no clue what the answer is. Perhaps I am old school who still thinks a dynamic defense is more important to get a championship than a high priced franchise QB.

The way things seem to be, it sure looks like Elway will either sign Cousins OR will be drafting another first round QB and that will either be Allen or Mayfield. Whooopy!

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    No one would want to see what Kelly has?
    only slightly more than i want to see what jordan taylor has. . .

does anybody know if zach dysert is still out there?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    only slightly more than i want to see what jordan taylor has. . .

does anybody know if zach dysert is still out there?
    I like Jordan Taylor and i am willing to bet Dysert, a lot like Sloter is better and cheaper than any of the shit that was on the roster last year.

And no I doubt Dysert is really any good. There is that economic reality of the NFL in a hard cap era again. Something most us know very little about.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

AJ McCarron can not be looked at as option number 2. He can't beat out Andy Dalton. What has he ever done to garner the belief that he can be a franchise guy? I don't get that one.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    AJ McCarron can not be looked at as option number 2. He can't beat out Andy Dalton. What has he ever done to garner the belief that he can be a franchise guy? I don't get that one.
    There is only one franchise QB available in free agency, and that's Captain Kirk so all of the Plan B, Plan Cs involve guys who are question marks. Whether it's Bridgewater, Tyrod, Bradford, Cutler, or Smith (barf): none of those guys have done anything to garner belief they can be franchise guys. A Mike Glennon deal is the most likely outcome for any of those guys in free agency.

Dalton is the guy in Cincy. They aren't going to have an open competition, so that's not even a valid criticism of McCarron.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    There is only one franchise QB available in free agency, and that's Captain Kirk so all of the Plan B, Plan Cs involve guys who are question marks. Whether it's Bridgewater, Tyrod, Bradford, Cutler, or Smith (barf): none of those guys have done anything to garner belief they can be franchise guys. A Mike Glennon deal is the most likely outcome for any of those guys in free agency.

Dalton is the guy in Cincy. They aren't going to have an open competition, so that's not even a valid criticism of McCarron.
    Of course it’s a valid criticism. It’s not like Dalton was a #1 overall pick who they’re still trying to give “a chance” to be the franchise
    . He’s an average guy who can’t win a playoff game and can’t, somehow win much at all with a top 3 WR, a good TE, and a great stable of RBs. He’s far from untouchable. The Bungles know what he is, and they know what they have in McCarron. The fact that they’re still starting Dalton, to me, is evidence enough for me. I wouldn’t want Dalton, so why would I want his backup?

McCarron has a Matt Flynn thing going because he started a few games and played okay on a playoff team. He’s totally overrated. Someone will overpay for this dude and regret it.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

The AJ Mccarron stuff is just ridiculous.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Of course it’s a valid criticism. It’s not like Dalton was a #1 overall pick who they’re still trying to give “a chance” to be the franchise
    . He’s an average guy who can’t win a playoff game and can’t, somehow win much at all with a top 3 WR, a good TE, and a great stable of RBs. He’s far from untouchable. The Bungles know what he is, and they know what they have in McCarron. The fact that they’re still starting Dalton, to me, is evidence enough for me. I wouldn’t want Dalton, so why would I want his backup?

McCarron has a Matt Flynn thing going because he started a few games and played okay on a playoff team. He’s totally overrated. Someone will overpay for this dude and regret it.
    It's not a valid criticism, because neither of you get it: Dalton is the Bengals franchise QB. There are no quarterback competitions for franchise QBs starting spots anywhere in the league. Once you have a guy who is flagged as a franchise QB, you don't let the other guy compete. That's like saying "Well Garrapolo couldn't beat out Brady for his job!", well no shit he couldn't because there was no competition. You might say, "Oh! Well Brady won 5 Super Bowls that's different!" but to the Bengals, winning division titles is a major accomplishment, and Dalton has won several. Criticism of McCaroron for not taking Dalton's job is completely ignorant of the context of the Bengals franchise and makes zero sense.

Every QB needy team is going to have to overpay, and will probably structure along the lines of Mike Glennon's deal. Teams without a QB1 under contract next year include: Broncos, Vikings, Redskins, Jets, Cardinals, and Browns. The Bills and the Giants of course may decide to change things up as well, leaving the free agent pieces as Cousins(return to Washington probable), McCarron, Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum(almost a lock for return to Vikings), Alex Smith (for trade), with rookies in play. There's really not much else. If you assume the question marks return, that leaves us, the Jets, the Cardinals, and the Browns competing for McCarron, Bridgewater, and Bradford, with the Browns and Jets with insane amounts of cap space and none of those players worth a long-term commitment.

McCarron sucks. I’d rather: Alex Smith, Eli, teddy, Sammy Brad, case keenum, just about anyone. AJ sucks, the most overrated QB in the league.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

17. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I just don’t want other people’s “trash” being our “treasure”. Bridgewater, Keenum, Smith, Taylor, McCarron, etc. if they aren’t good enough to be a starter or really be anything but a backup for others, why are they good enough for us? This is the most important position in the NFL, stop settling for second rate players. Even the “sign a vet to groom a rookie” sentiment is bullshit these days. If you draft a rookie to start, play his ass. Every year you don’t, you delay his potential ability to be “the guy”.

There are 3 potential real “franchise” starting QBs out there this year that might be available: Brees (old), Eli (old), and Cousins (in his prime). If we can’t get Cousins, draft a guy and start him. The end. Not really that hard.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

19. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I just don’t want other people’s “trash” being our “treasure”. Bridgewater, Keenum, Smith, Taylor, McCarron, etc. if they aren’t good enough to be a starter or really be anything but a backup for others, why are they good enough for us? This is the most important position in the NFL, stop settling for second rate players. Even the “sign a vet to groom a rookie” sentiment is bullshit these days. If you draft a rookie to start, play his ass. Every year you don’t, you delay his potential ability to be “the guy”.

There are 3 potential real “franchise” starting QBs out there this year that might be available: Brees (old), Eli (old), and Cousins (in his prime). If we can’t get Cousins, draft a guy and start him. The end. Not really that hard.
    Keenum does intrigue me though. I have watched very little non Broncos football but when I did watch it this year it always seemed to be the Vikings and Keenum really impressed me every time. He is going on a solid season of starting now versus a guy like AJ who has started three games three seasons ago.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:

yuuuup. . . it's kirk or bust as far as finding a solution in free agency, unless the vikes actually let keenum go. . . mccarron, bridgewater, and any of the others are just one-year transition plans, at best-- it doesn't really matter which of the names you plug in, none of them are good enough to look at as a long term plan. . . they're all mike glennons. . .

22. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information