Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    If Smith is so good, why is he getting bounced from his second team in favor of an unproven understudy QB? Because that QB, and his backup in SF, provided more playmaking ability. Smith is an over-conservative loser. For the last several years he’s been seen as that stopgap to get you from one real QB to the next. I’ve seen too many games where Smith has struggled to score points or to come from behind.
    Well, it's probably academic since the Chefs are totally unlikely to trade Smith within the division, but, you really go off the rails here:

here’s zero guarantee Smith will be much cheaper than Cousins. He’s already making $17m next year, but if he’s traded it will probably a trade and sign deal (a deal with his new team is already worked out at the time of the trade) and he’ll command over $20M.
    Muhahahahahahaha!

Alex Smith is about $10m a year cheaper than Kirk Cousins. Kirk Cousins is the new hotness. Alex Smith is the old stankness. Kirk Cousins is the blazing hot young supermodel wife. Alex Smith is "the old ball and chain."

Smith might get $20m because that's what he's due next season and he's unlikely to accept less after the season he's had.

But, he's not a $30m Qb, or a $29m QB either. So, there's a big difference. I don't even know anybody who has $10m, so that's rather a lot of money! He might be worth $20m but certainly NOT anything like $30m! So, he's nowhere near Kirk Cousins range!

Last but not least, the Chefs gave up 2 2nds for him. He’ll command at least a second rounder if not a first this time in a trade too. KC wants to trade him to play Mahomes and get picks doing it, but they don’t have to. I doubt they'll cut him. They can afford to wait until after the draft and trade him to one of the teams that didn’t grab a QB. He’ll either be traded before or after the draft. I don’t see a way he gets cut.
    This part is right. They will try and trade him for a 2nd rounder, or they might even ask for a 1st rounder (asking's not getting). But, with all the other QBs on the market, what teams are going to be willing to give up a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith? Probably not many.

The Cleveland Browns have been talked about as the top landing spot for Alex Smith, but their 2nd round pick is #33. They would have to be seriously stupid to give up that pick for Smith, considering they are drafting a QB with the #1 pick. They would be unable to improve their garbage team in the draft if they used two of their top 3 picks on Qbs!

Unless some other team offers a 2nd I'm betting that a 3rd rounder is about the best the Chefs will get, and they might not get that. Alex Smith is 33 now and some team might get a few years out of him. But, nobody really thinks you can just roll to a SB with Alex Smith. He's not that kind of QB.

So, any team that takes him will also seek a long term answer at QB. He's a "sign and draft a QB" guy, not a sign and forget about it for 10 years, which is what teams want.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Amen. Too much money committed to Von, Cousins is way too expensive. Draft a QB in the first Rd.
    If they don't land Cousins they will certainly do that anyway. I'd be surprised if Elway is willing to pay a QB $30m when that QB isn't really worth as much as Drew Brees, but is paid more than him. And paid more than Roethlisberger, Brady, Manning, Luck, and every other QB who ever played.

3. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default The letdown of Paxton Lynch

As our season is already far over and we’re dancing in the schadenfreude of folly from our division rivals jokes.

The QB is where it is at in the NFL and as we get ready to embark on a new era for the Denver Broncos, I feel it is a good idea to take a look back at one of the more polarizing disappointments for the Broncos in recent years: Paxton Lynch.

His saga isn’t even over, but it sure feels that way to me.

A look back
    rest - https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...ton-lynch-bust

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Everyone keeps talking about the big names but almost no-one is talking about Mccarron, anyone know what is going on with that?

Last I heard he was in a fight with the Bengals over whether his 1st year should essentially count as a red shirt making him a RFA or if he is a UFA.

Not saying we get him...but he is another guy that would probably get paid on potential by someone.
    Last edited by Rick; 01-09-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Everyone keeps talking about the big names but almost no-one is talking about McMaron, anyone know what is going on with that?

Last I heard he was in a fight with the Bengals over whether his 1st year should essentially count as a red shirt making him a RFA or if he is a UFA.

Not saying we get him...but he is another guy that would probably get paid on potential by someone.
    When you see what Osweiller got and what Cassel and even Flynn got a few years back, then yea, I could see Mccarron getting a decent payday.

The ruling on whether the Bengals stashed him on NFI, when he wasn't too injured to play and cost him a year of service, will be very interesting. That could have far reaching consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    When you see what Osweiller got and what Cassel and even Flynn got a few years back, then yea, I could see Mccarron getting a decent payday.

The ruling on whether the Bengals stashed him on NFI, when he wasn't too injured to play and cost him a year of service, will be very interesting. That could have far reaching consequences.
    Fixed his name, thanks

I wonder if that ruling will be looked at with Kelly down the road if he turns into anything at all. Was he REALLY to hurt to play before we sat him down for the rest of the year or did we just stash him...

8. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I'm agreeing more and more with this the more I look at it.

Option B would potentially be Case Keenum if the Vikings dump him instead of Teddy Bridgewater.

Option C would be hope that Alex Smith becomes a FA. That could be if nobody is willing to take Alex Smith's $20m contract off the Chef's hands. But, they are not trading him within the division so he's unlikely to wind up here.

Option D would probably be Bradford or Josh McCown and possibly move up in the draft and try and get one of the top 2 QBs, perhaps Sam Darnold if the Browns don't draft him. If they can't move up or don't want to pay the price, then probably Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson.

Personally, I haven't seen anything good about those three, but I'm not a big college football fan so I don't have much opinion on them.

If the Broncos sign Cousins, then they probably don't bother with drafting a QB in the first 2 rounds, but if it's Bridgewater or Keenum and certainly if it's Alex Smith or Josh McCown or Sam Bradford, then they are drafting a QB early. Perhaps not at #5, but in the first round.,
    I can’t see a single scenario where the Vikings keep Bridgewater over Keenum. Keenum took them to the playoffs. Keenum’s single season stats this year are almost as good as Bridgewaters for 2 seasons. Keenum: 22 TDs, 7 Ints. Bridgewater (‘14 & ‘15) 28 TDs (14 in each season) and 22 Ints.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t know why guys are high on Teddy. Especially coming off major knee surgery. He’s the biggest risk of any potential FA QB/trade bait. Frankly, I’d rather get Tyrod Taylor (yuck) than Teddy B.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 01-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Fixed his name, thanks

I wonder if that ruling will be looked at with Kelly down the road if he turns into anything at all. Was he REALLY to hurt to play before we sat him down for the rest of the year or did we just stash him...
    I didn't know about the mccarron UFA issue until your post and then just found a couple articles and read them. I immediately also thought about how that might effect Kelly, or even Butt, if they turned into something.

12. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I can’t see a single scenario where the Vikings keep Bridgewater over Keenum. Keenum took them to the playoffs. Keenum’s single season stats this year are almost as good as Bridgewaters for 2 seasons. Keenum: 22 TDs, 7 Ints. Bridgewater (‘14 & ‘15) 28 TDs (14 in each season) and 22 Ints.

It’s one of the reasons I don’t know why guys are high on Teddy. Especially coming off major knee surgery. He’s the biggest risk of any potential FA QB/trade bait. Frankly, I’d rather get Tyrod Taylor (yuck) than Teddy B.
    Totally agreed on Bridgewater. Where you and I part company is my ideal guy is Alex Smith. Its not on Smith that the Chefs can't hold a big lead; Smith got them the lead after all (yes, I know, simplistic) and he he can't help it that Andy Reid sucks. I always thought Smith was a classic late bloomer, got shafted by SF, and has been drastically underappreciated for the past half dozen years.

We can't afford to waste the draft pick on another dud QB, so much so I'd rather roll with our current dud QB's than waste a #5 adding to our inventory
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

14. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Totally agreed on Bridgewater. Where you and I part company is my ideal guy is Alex Smith. Its not on Smith that the Chefs can't hold a big lead; Smith got them the lead after all (yes, I know, simplistic) and he he can't help it that Andy Reid sucks. I always thought Smith was a classic late bloomer, got shafted by SF, and has been drastically underappreciated for the past half dozen years.

We can't afford to waste the draft pick on another dud QB, so much so I'd rather roll with our current dud QB's than waste a #5 adding to our inventory
    Smith had a pretty impressive year, especially for a guy that supposedly couldn't go deep.

He was number one, by a country mile, in deep passing. His 131 rating on passes thrown (in the air) 20+ yards was 28 points higher than the closest, and his 12 TDs on deep passes was only equaled by Russel Wilson, but Wilson had 5 INTs on deep passes to Smith's 1 INT.

Smith's 1344 deep passing yards first to Staffords 1136 in second place.

Smith's 56.5% accuracy rating was first, with Brees coming in 2nd at 52.5%.

Maybe a combination of experience and getting some good weapons around him, showed Smith can lead top tier passing game (3rd ranked passing offense).

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Everyone keeps talking about the big names but almost no-one is talking about Mccarron, anyone know what is going on with that?

I think a decision on McCarron's status is supposed to be in by 2/15, so that will answer some questions.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure why his name keeps coming up. I guess it's because people can assume he's good until he actually has to play for a long period of time. I remember people saying this same kind of thing about Glennon for a few years. I liked the small sample I saw from McCarron, but I suspect that anyone who thinks he's their QBOTF is setting themselves up for failure (which is probably why the Browns were so interested in him)

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post

For me, it’s the simple fact that he seems to wear out his welcome. If he was all that and a bag of chips, the 49ers wouldn’t have replaced him with Kaepernick (who took them to a Super Bowl) and now KC with Mahomes. To me, that’s a huge red flag. Combine that with the fact that I’ve watched him vs us 2x per year and in last year’s Playoff game vs Pittsburgh and he stunk on ice. It wasn’t until this year he did well, the year that they drafted his replacement, that he becomes a top passer. It’s bullshit. It’s a ruse.

Combine that with the fact that he’s 33 and has zero chance of being our “franchise” guy and it’s a hard pass for me. It has nothing to do with him being a Chef.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I think a decision on McCarron's status is supposed to be in by 2/15, so that will answer some questions.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure why his name keeps coming up. I guess it's because people can assume he's good until he actually has to play for a long period of time. I remember people saying this same kind of thing about Glennon for a few years. I liked the small sample I saw from McCarron, but I suspect that anyone who thinks he's their QBOTF is setting themselves up for failure (which is probably why the Browns were so interested in him)
    I agree and I think the same about Kenum personally.

Someone will e over paying for both of these guys this year based on very limited success, ala Brock/Flynn.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The real question is, who here is willing to offer the #5 overall pick to Indy for Luck, knowing he has a throwing shoulder injury that he just missed a season for. Would anyone here take that risk for that potential reward? 2 top 5 picks could really help Indy get better fast.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

The real question is, who here is willing to offer the #5 overall pick to Indy for Luck, knowing he has a throwing shoulder injury that he just missed a season for. Would anyone here take that risk for that potential reward? 2 top 5 picks could really help Indy get better fast.
    Of course we would give up the #5 pick. But they would also require another 1st rounder, on top of that, probably... Or a 2nd rounder and a handful of other picks in addition to #5. And we would gladly pay all of those prices too.

But I don't understand why we continue to speculate on Luck. He is not available. He never was available. We may as well talk about bringing in Russell Wilson or Carson Wentz too.

23. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information