Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The Safest Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I haven't heard much about Derwin James, Roquan, or the SMU WR Sutton (6'4" 218 4.54)...anyone have an opinion on these guys at 5? CBS has them at top 5 or so. Above Barkley if you can believe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I haven't heard much about Derwin James, Roquan, or the SMU WR Sutton (6'4" 218 4.54)...anyone have an opinion on these guys at 5? CBS has them at top 5 or so. Above Barkley if you can believe that.
    no, no, and no. . . nelson, chubb, or a QB-- or G T F O. . . i would be down with james at #12 if we traded with buffalo. . .

3. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    no, no, and no. . . nelson, chubb, or a QB-- or G T F O. . . i would be down with james at #12 if we traded with buffalo. . .
    I'm not sure about Chubb, but I'll take your word for it. I'm still all in on Nelson, but cool with Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold. These other guys look like potential pro-bowlers, but man, Nelson seems like the ideal pick with a coaching staff in potential transition and a need to upgrade offensive line play. Best guard prospect ever, if you believe some of these scouting reports.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I'm not sure about Chubb, but I'll take your word for it. I'm still all in on Nelson, but cool with Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold. These other guys look like potential pro-bowlers, but man, Nelson seems like the ideal pick with a coaching staff in potential transition and a need to upgrade offensive line play. Best guard prospect ever, if you believe some of these scouting reports.
    i like chubb, but not 100% sold either. . . nelson is my guy if we pick at five. . . though i wouldn't argue with a QB. . .

honestly, i just wanna watch the big guy maul people. . . i love nasty OLs, and as somebody else said earlier, this dude makes bolles look like a cub scout. . .

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Nelllssooonnnnn
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i like chubb, but not 100% sold either. . . nelson is my guy if we pick at five. . . though i wouldn't argue with a QB. . .

honestly, i just wanna watch the big guy maul people. . . i love nasty OLs, and as somebody else said earlier, this dude makes bolles look like a cub scout. . .
    Nelson is everything that’s right about football.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

This went deeper into a rabbit hole than I expected, but I'll share if anyone is interested.

The Broncos are in a position to pick up a value QB after the first round. Sure, 18 of the 32 starters in the league (counted Cutler/Tannehill as 1) are top 15 draft selections, but are they really elite? You decide:

Name, w/l record

Matt Ryan 95-63
    Cam Newton 62-45
    Mitchell Trubisky n/a
    Matthew Stafford 60-65
    Blame Bortles 21-40
    Patrick Mahomes n/a
    Philip Rivers 106-86
    Jay Cutler 74-79
    Eli Manning 111-103
    Jameis Winston 18-27
    Marcus Mariota 20-22
    Deshaun Watson n/a
    Jared Goff 11-11
    Carson Wentz 18-11
    Andrew Luck (?) 43-27
    Sam Bradford 34-45
    Ryan Tannehill 37-40
    Alex Smith 88-62
    Roethlisberger 135-63

Since Eli came into the league in 2004, there have been 8 others drafted by pick 15 (RG3, Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, JaMarcus, V Young, Leinart, and Sanchez) who are clearly not elite.

So the equation is pretty simple. Pick the number of QBs from that list you would like to be your face of the franchise, and divide that number by 27. That's your recent odds of finding your guy in the first 15 picks. For me, it's 9/27, or 33%.

How many QB's drafted from 16 through udfa would you want as FOTF?

In that same period, there have been 138 QBs drafted (not counting udfa). Only a handful have panned out:

Rodgers*
    Wilson
    Carr
    Dalton
    Schaub
    Anderson
    Bridgewater*
    Cassel
    Cousins
    Foles
    Prescott
    Taylor
    Flacco*
    Fitzpatrick
    Orton
    Campbell*
    Freeman
    Henne
    Kaepernick
    Tavaris
    Weeden*
    Losman
    Geno Smith
    Brock Oz
    Trevor Siemian
    Garoppolo

*1st round

Lot of scrubs in that list, those are the best of those 135. 5/135 have made it to two pro bowls. A few look promising, like Cousins and Prescott. Flacco has never made a pro bowl, but has started for 10 years. If you are generous, that's a 10% FOTF hit rate.

Just for comparison, let's look at guards.

4 selected pick 1-15
    50% 2+ year pro bowlers

176 selected pick 16+
    7% 2+ year pro bowlers (8/12 of those were 1st round picks)

percentage of 1st round picks that were not pro bowlers ever: 45%
    percentage that were not 6+ AV starters: a couple. Take a look.

Having a franchise QB is more important than having a pro-bowl guard. If it's a 33% chance of getting a franchise QB (70% chance of essentially wasting your pick and spinning your wheels since he's not the guy), or 50% chance of getting a pro-bowl guard/40% chance of getting a quality starter...which one is correct? I'm not really sure, in a generic draft year, so I'm ok with the QB pick this year if they did their research (they obviously didn't do research with Brock and Paxton).

But this year it seems like those probabilities are not appropriate. No one really knows which of these QBs is most likely to become a franchise guy. But nearly everyone concedes Nelson has the look of a guy that will make an immediate impact and likely become a pro bowl fixture. I have no problem if the Broncos take a QB, but I have a preference for the higher probability play of making whichever QB plays for the Broncos that much better by drafting Nelson. Pick up a value QB when you can.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

There’s actually two QB’s in this draft that aren’t a fish outta water in the Broncos WCO, or a pro system period, that’s approximately 2 more than in your typical draft. This IS the year to do it.

My heart tells me Nelson, regardless of draft slot, but my brain tells me Rosen/Allen. You could even make an argument for Mayfield, I have a feeling he’s the Prescott outlier, if not physically gifted. Darnold too, he’s a playmaker that needs time to develop, he’s 20-years-old.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 03-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:

I've been a proponent of Nelson since December, but I wouldn't argue with Fitzpatrick, either (assuming a non QB selection). The more I watch him, the more I see a Swiss Army knife. He can be a shut down corner...or a slot corner...or a dime corner...he plays both safety positions flawlessly...he blitzes well out of the slot...he's not afraid to mix it up in the run game...and he does this weird thing we haven't seen in a while...he covers TE's. He can basically used at all 6 secondary positions as well as a hybrid LB. And plays all of them very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I've been a proponent of Nelson since December, but I wouldn't argue with Fitzpatrick, either (assuming a non QB selection). The more I watch him, the more I see a Swiss Army knife. He can be a shut down corner...or a slot corner...or a dime corner...he plays both safety positions flawlessly...he blitzes well out of the slot...he's not afraid to mix it up in the run game...and he does this weird thing we haven't seen in a while...he covers TE's. He can basically used at all 6 secondary positions as well as a hybrid LB. And plays all of them very well.
    Ramsey?

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Fitzpatrick is a beast. The way the draft is falling it's playing out a lot like the first few picks of the 99 draft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 draft.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	11889

Bunch of QBs, extremely highly-touted RB... swap a lineman in there and that's about where this draft is.

And then at the end of that you've got a CB who could lock it down for a decade. If you're rebuilding the No Fly Zone, he's your guy. Like you said, he can do basically anything. He mixes versatility with top-shelf skill. If you wanted another shot at Champ Bailey, and a replacement for Talib, this is your shot. Problem is we saw what happened with Champ Bailey going to waste.

I won't be unhappy if Denver manages to land Fitzpatrick, depending on the circumstance. How you gonna be upset about landing an All-Pro skillset who would be tutored by the swiss-army-knife-in-chief of the No Fly Zone, Chris Harris?

But it would leave other gaping holes. That's the problem with screwing up the draft multiple years in a row and blowing top picks on worthless QBs: it means you have multiple holes to fill.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

To reiterate: Denver needs to get this right.

"Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

18. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

To be fair, Elway lost a few players from those drafts that were homeruns they couldn’t afford to keep. At least early on.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Fitzpatrick is a beast. The way the draft is falling it's playing out a lot like the first few picks of the 99 draft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1999 draft.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	11889

Bunch of QBs, extremely highly-touted RB... swap a lineman in there and that's about where this draft is.

And then at the end of that you've got a CB who could lock it down for a decade. If you're rebuilding the No Fly Zone, he's your guy. Like you said, he can do basically anything. He mixes versatility with top-shelf skill. If you wanted another shot at Champ Bailey, and a replacement for Talib, this is your shot. Problem is we saw what happened with Champ Bailey going to waste.

I won't be unhappy if Denver manages to land Fitzpatrick, depending on the circumstance. How you gonna be upset about landing an All-Pro skillset who would be tutored by the swiss-army-knife-in-chief of the No Fly Zone, Chris Harris?

But it would leave other gaping holes. That's the problem with screwing up the draft multiple years in a row and blowing top picks on worthless QBs: it means you have multiple holes to fill.
    Ugh, the Broncos also had a ton of picks in the ‘99 Draft and ended up with Al Wilson to show for it, that was the beginning of the end of Shanatan imo.

Let’s hope history is not repeating.

#TravisMcGriff
    #NeverForget
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information