Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Safest Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

Default The Safest Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

G QUENTON NELSON 6'5 325

Nelson is a no-brainer plug and play for the next 10-15 year prospect. You'll see a lot written about him as the draft approaches. Turn on any one of his games watch him dominate week in and week out. A lot was written about Bolles's nasty demeanor. Nelson makes him look like a choir boy. You want attitude on your offensive line? How about this attitude?

Nelson is the best run blocking lineman in the nation, hands down. He can drive block, he can pull, and he can identify and pick up stunts and blitzes. Pass blocking? He allowed 2 pressures the entire season. The team that drafts this young man is going to plug him in as a rookie and watch him make all pro teams year after year. The 5th pick is extremely high for a guard, but if Elway wants the BPA, Nelson just may be that man come draft night. If the QB situation is resolved before the draft, the next step is to build that offensive line.

Unlike Bolles last season, Nelson isn't a hit or miss prospect. He's one of the best guard prospects to come out in a long, long time. You want talent, this is talent. And attitude. And power. Nelson won't be the sexy pick on draft day, but he will be the wise one for whichever team picks him.

2. The Following 10 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I have no problem with this pick.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I want credit for mentioning him first on this site a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

We like him a lot. If we get cousins I bet he’s ours
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

8. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

As a ND fan I fully endorse this pick. He is a monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

10. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Trade back.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Is there anything close to a can't miss QB that will be available 5th or a spot or two ahead (trading up)?

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to getting a blue chip Olinemen, because no QB is going to be successful if we don't fix the line. As bad as our QB play has been, the biggest weakness on offense for multiple years now has been the O line and failure to pass protect and run block.

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Is there anything close to a can't miss QB that will be available 5th or a spot or two ahead (trading up)?
    In my opinion no.

If Denver wants to trade back and go that route than im fine with it but im not sold on Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen/Allen as cant miss prospects. They all have some issues in my opinion that can be problematic at the pro level. Because our pick is so high i would rather go with OT/LB and then worry about QB later. Obviously the only issue with this is if Denver doesnt grab Cousins or some other vet than we are kind of stuck with playing a young QB again. But, things seem to turn out well for Goff and Wentz although they were taken high in the draft. My hope is that we do get Cousins and then use the draft to get better support around him.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

It's times like this I wish I gave a crap about college football. I have no idea who a good QB would be, but I do know that I would love to see them go all offense in the draft in the early rounds especially. O-line, receivers, QBs... Load this team up!

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    It's times like this I wish I gave a crap about college football. I have no idea who a good QB would be, but I do know that I would love to see them go all offense in the draft in the early rounds especially. O-line, receivers, QBs... Load this team up!
    Ditto.

19. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    In my opinion no.

If Denver wants to trade back and go that route than im fine with it but im not sold on Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen/Allen as cant miss prospects. They all have some issues in my opinion that can be problematic at the pro level. Because our pick is so high i would rather go with OT/LB and then worry about QB later. Obviously the only issue with this is if Denver doesnt grab Cousins or some other vet than we are kind of stuck with playing a young QB again. But, things seem to turn out well for Goff and Wentz although they were taken high in the draft. My hope is that we do get Cousins and then use the draft to get better support around him.
    I wish we had seen more of Lynch and he had more game experience. Get him some protection, and he could turn into a good QB. Problem is with him being injured basically all year, he both lost lots of practice reps and the Broncos (and us) didn't get a chance to really see what he can do and if he took a major step forward. That means going into next seas with him as plan A is very risky.

I'm not 100% sold on Cousins, especially at those dollars, but at minimum he's a big step up from our QB play of the last few years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I wish we had seen more of Lynch and he had more game experience. Get him some protection, and he could turn into a good QB. Problem is with him being injured basically all year, he both lost lots of practice reps and the Broncos (and us) didn't get a chance to really see what he can do and if he took a major step forward. That means going into next seas with him as plan A is very risky.

I'm not 100% sold on Cousins, especially at those dollars, but at minimum he's a big step up from our QB play of the last few years.
    For me personally i dont see Lynch as the answer. I dont like his mental fortitude when things dont go his way and im not big on his ability to get hurt falling off the bench. His durability seems to be a big question mark for me. I dont expect Denver to throw him to the trash heap just yet but im not really convinced that even if we get better protection that it will solve his inability to go through progressions while on the field. My biggest gripe with Elway and Denver right now has been the reluctance to go after a NFL ready QB or a prospect that has better qualities going into the NFL rather than all these "projects". I understood the Oz pick back when it was made but that turned out to be a bust. Cousins is really the best option we have in my opinion because they guy has played in the league for six years, has had success with a bad organization and surrounding talent on the field with him. People can groan about the pricetag but if you want to win ballgames and championships you pay the QB that kind of money, especially when the market dictates it. Denver wouldnt be throwing money at Matt Flynn or Matt Cassell after one year, they would be investing in a guy who has proven he can play in the NFL. IMO

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I'm sold on Cousins. He's thrown for over 4000 yard each year the last 3, he's averaged 28 TDs, and 12 interceptions each of those years as well. This is on a team that doesn't have the offensive talent at the skill positions we do and has just as bad a line (he was sacked 41 times this year). So, he gets sacked 41 times, still throws for over 4k yards, 27 TDs against 13 INTs, and really led his team.

I wish we had a guy like that. Seriously, I think Elway can make one hell of a pitch to him. He's going to be the highest paid QB, that's how it works now. If Elway offers him a nice package (If even a little less than others can, as long as the guarantees are similar) and tells him we're investing HEAVILY in the offensive line this offseason... I mean, that's pretty attractive from his standpoint. Our defense was still top 5, he would solve our biggest need, and a promise from John that we're going to have one of the best lines in the league?

Sign me up.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Elway would be crazy to pass on him

I wouldn't complain at all. Take him or the tackle playing beside him.

26. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information