Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Safest Pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Trade back.
    And miss a generational type of guard? Extra picks isn't always wiser than taking a possible superstar. If we would have traded back when we drafted Von and not picked up Watt, this team would have one less Lombardi.

2. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I wouldn't complain at all. Take him or the tackle playing beside him.
    How about both?

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    How about both?
    Sure!

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The real question, especially if you’re talking about #5 overall pick, is who has the potential to be the most impactful player. Is it Nelson? A guard, who while he might be all-pro caliber is still just a Guard. Nobody takes Guards at #5 for a reason. Is it Barkley? The guy looks like another elite back in the Zeke Elliot mold. Is he worth it? How about Chubb (the pass rusher not the GA RB)? Line him up across from Von Miller and watch out. Is he worth it?

Or, do we grab the best remaining QB? A lot will be answered before the draft if we sign Cousins. There’s no way we draft a QB in the first if we sign Cousins but any other stopgap vet leaves that door open.

While Nelson may be awesome and might be safe, unless he can play LT, he’s just not worth the #5 overall pick, IMO. He’s a guard. Leary and McGovern will be fine next year.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    The real question, especially if you’re talking about #5 overall pick, is who has the potential to be the most impactful player. Is it Nelson? A guard, who while he might be all-pro caliber is still just a Guard. Nobody takes Guards at #5 for a reason. Is it Barkley? The guy looks like another elite back in the Zeke Elliot mold. Is he worth it? How about Chubb (the pass rusher not the GA RB)? Line him up across from Von Miller and watch out. Is he worth it?

Or, do we grab the best remaining QB? A lot will be answered before the draft if we sign Cousins. There’s no way we draft a QB in the first if we sign Cousins but any other stopgap vet leaves that door open.

While Nelson may be awesome and might be safe, unless he can play LT, he’s just not worth the #5 overall pick, IMO. He’s a guard. Leary and McGovern will be fine next year.
    From Walter Football:

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Football
    12/9/17: Nelson has dominated for Notre Dame in 2017, showing the ability to overwhelm defensive linemen as a run blocker and pass protector. After surveying sources from around the league including multiple general managers, Nelson is a consensus elite prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. However, he might go behind lesser prospects in the draft just because he is a guard and many teams don't value guards that high.

Nelson is the most talented and polished offensive lineman in the 2018 NFL Draft class, regardless of position. He also is one of the safest prospects in the draft class. Some team sources think that Nelson could be the best guard in the NFL during his pro career and could be better than former Patriots All-Pro Logan Mankins. Some have higher grades on Nelson than they did on Mankins, David DeCastro and Brandon Scherff.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

In my mock, I actually have us taking Chubb the NT/DE and passing on this nelson for another.....infact, I may as well get that started.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

I don't disagree with what you're saying but at the same time you can't draft a bust at #5 either. Denver needs that pick to start and play well right off the bat.

None of the QBs excite me enough to roll the dice on them.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I don't disagree with what you're saying but at the same time you can't draft a bust at #5 either. Denver needs that pick to start and play well right off the bat.

None of the QBs excite me enough to roll the dice on them.

Same here, after watching them in their bowl games and researching their stats im just not sold on them being a pick at #5.

12. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    In my mock, I actually have us taking Chubb the NT/DE and passing on this nelson for another.....infact, I may as well get that started.
    If we draft defense with that #5 pick I'm gonna be pissed. QB or OL those are the only options.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:

Also have to take into consideration that a team has to be built from the inside out. So, I'm not a fan of the theory that an interior lineman isnt worthy of a top 5 pick. If he's the best player at a position of need, who is also considered a generational talent...you draft him. And adding a player of this caliber to left guard would in itself help to improve Bolles. And the OL talent is pretty deep this year. We could turn around and get a very good tackle with our 2nd round pick to play right side.

15. The Following 8 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    If we draft defense with that #5 pick I'm gonna be pissed. QB or OL those are the only options.
    Taking a defender at #5 is not a bad approach honestly. The Broncos should be focused on getting the best player at their respective position and i dont think any of the QB's are worth that pick. Fine with OL because lord knows we need help there but if we take a DE like Chubb or a LB like Smith im down. We need help in those areas as well.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Also have to take into consideration that a team has to be built from the inside out. So, I'm not a fan of the theory that an interior lineman isnt worthy of a top 5 pick. If he's the best player at a position of need, who is also considered a generational talent...you draft him. And adding a player of this caliber to left guard would in itself help to improve Bolles. And the OL talent is pretty deep this year. We could turn around and get a very good tackle with our 2nd round pick to play right side.
    I'm hoping Bolles gets moved to RT. He is not a good LT. I'd like to see us sign a legit LT and move Bolles to RT.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Agreed 100%. There is a chance we could pull McGlinchey as well. He's expected to go in the first, John could trade back into the first round and take him. Who knows. I know I'd be happy with the two of them playing next to each other like they have the last few years. I'd also be great with he and Bolles competing to see who is LT and who is RT, put Nelson at LG and Barbre at RG or flip them, whatever. That group (along with Paradis) should be a damn good group.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Agreed 100%. There is a chance we could pull McGlinchey as well. He's expected to go in the first, John could trade back into the first round and take him. Who knows. I know I'd be happy with the two of them playing next to each other like they have the last few years. I'd also be great with he and Bolles competing to see who is LT and who is RT, put Nelson at LG and Barbre at RG or flip them, whatever. That group (along with Paradis) should be a damn good group.
    Tough to get a feel for where McGlinchey lands because of all the OT talent available this year. That being said, I'd be happy with any of him, Williams, Brown, Okorafor, Miller, Rankin, Crosby. And if one of them bests Bolles in camp, then move them to LT and Bolles to the right.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Tough to get a feel for where McGlinchey lands because of all the OT talent available this year. That being said, I'd be happy with any of him, Williams, Brown, Okorafor, Miller, Rankin, Crosby. And if one of them bests Bolles in camp, then move them to LT and Bolles to the right.
    I like Brown and Rankin a lot.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information