Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos CB Aqib Talib opens up about his future, Vance Joseph and the team’s QBs

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos CB Aqib Talib opens up about his future, Vance Joseph and the team’s QBs

Aqib Talib believes the Broncos are a quarterback away from returning to the top five in the league and he hopes he’s around to be a part of it.

The veteran cornerback was a guest on Vic Lombardi’s show on Altitude 950 radio earlier this week and said “there’s a chance” he might return for a fifth season, but indicated he knows there’s a possibility he won’t either.

“If I wasn’t (returning), it wouldn’t be the most surprising thing in the world. You have three corners making big money and that’s rare to have,” Talib said. “I had conversations with our staff during our exit meetings and stuff, so it’s kind of up in the air. But I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still here.
    much more - https://www.denverpost.com/2018/01/0...backs-coaches/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I think this is a fair assessment:

Talib added that he expected Joseph to return for a second season because the team’s record “wasn’t his fault.”

“I think it was the hand he was dealt, honestly,” Talib said. “It was the hand he was dealt. John knew what he gave him to work with. Until you give him a nice veteran quarterback, then you’ll see who the real V.J. is.”
    As for this, well true as far as it goes:

“Me knowing John, I don’t really know if he wants to rebuild and have two more seasons of 8-8 and 7-9 and ‘we’re getting better,’ ” Talib said. “I don’t know if he’s ready to do that. John is ready to get back to the top because that’s where he belongs. That’s just John Elway. I don’t really see him drafting a rookie and trying to rebuild. I see him getting a vet and getting back to the top ASAP because that’s where he belongs.”
    I don't think Elway will be satisfied with just drafting a rookie QB and then waiting 2 or 3 years for him to develop. I think he will also look to add a veteran QB: Kirk Cousins, or Teddy Bridgewater are the leading candidates there. Both should be FAs, although the Redskins are going to make it as difficult on a team to take Cousins as they can and MN could decide to keep Bridgewater and dump Case Keenum.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I think this is a fair assessment:

As for this, well true as far as it goes:

I don't think Elway will be satisfied with just drafting a rookie QB and then waiting 2 or 3 years for him to develop. I think he will also look to add a veteran QB: Kirk Cousins, or Teddy Bridgewater are the leading candidates there. Both should be FAs, although the Redskins are going to make it as difficult on a team to take Cousins as they can and MN could decide to keep Bridgewater and dump Case Keenum.
    Rapoport reported last month that the Redskins have said they will not use the transition tag on Cousins, they will either use the franchise tag for a third time, sign him long term, or let him walk. They're not concerned about the average annual salary, they know plenty of teams can outbid them for that first year of the contract and they couldn't afford it, so why bother wasting a tag that they know they couldn't match?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Rapoport reported last month that the Redskins have said they will not use the transition tag on Cousins, they will either use the franchise tag for a third time, sign him long term, or let him walk. They're not concerned about the average annual salary, they know plenty of teams can outbid them for that first year of the contract and they couldn't afford it, so why bother wasting a tag that they know they couldn't match?
    Yeah...if Wash is going to contend for Cousins, it will be in the same capacity as the rest of the NFL. Discussing a multi-year contract.

Talib is still a top 5 corner in this league. His contract over the next 2 seasons is 20 million. That's an absolute steal. He's also the heart of this defense. I really hope Elway finds a way to keep him while getting a QB.

7. The Following 10 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Yeah...if Wash is going to contend for Cousins, it will be in the same capacity as the rest of the NFL. Discussing a multi-year contract.
    Also, I've seen plenty of people on here mention that they'll use the transition tag because they will get 2 first round picks as a result if someone else signs him. Not true. The transition tag gets your team nothing if you don't match.

Quote Originally Posted by nfl.com
    Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.
    The non-exclusive tag is the tag that would net the Skins some picks if they don't match Cousins. The tag Cousins has been on the past two years is the exclusive franchise tag, meaning, no other team can negotiate with him but the salary is higher, it is the average of the top 5 salaries at that position that year or 120% of their previous salary, whichever is greater. The difference in salary can be significant as the non-exclusive tag is the average of the top 5 salaries over the last 5 years,

Quote Originally Posted by nfl.com
    Non-exclusive franchise tag: This is the most commonly used tag. When most people refer to the "franchise tag" it's generally the non-exclusive version to which they are discussing. It is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position over the last five years, or 120 percent of the player's previous salary, whichever is greater. The player can negotiate with other teams. The player's current team has the right to match any offer, or receive two first-round picks as compensation.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Ok, Talib wouldn't be surprised if he's here and won't be surprised if he's gone. So, I guess good news is whatever happens he won't be surprised.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Talib is still a top 5 corner in this league. His contract over the next 2 seasons is 20 million. That's an absolute steal. He's also the heart of this defense. I really hope Elway finds a way to keep him while getting a QB.
    He'll also be 32 and a part of a VERY expensive CB trio.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Ok, Talib wouldn't be surprised if he's here and won't be surprised if he's gone. So, I guess good news is whatever happens he won't be surprised.
    unless he shoots himself in the ass again. . . i bet that's always surprising. . .

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

There are a lot of vets who needs contracts reworked. Spread cap hit into more years. We have a ton of guys on big contracts that expire 2019

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    There are a lot of vets who needs contracts reworked. Spread cap hit into more years. We have a ton of guys on big contracts that expire 2019
    Then you're just paying more for longer. I guess the point I was more trying to make is how many DB's stay productive at 32, 33?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Then you're just paying more for longer. I guess the point I was more trying to make is how many DB's stay productive at 32, 33?
    Against WR's that are in their early 20's, and getting bigger, faster and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    If that happens, don't be surprised if Keenum starts for us next year. Kubiak had a front row seat watching him play for the Cougars and was VERY high on him in the 2012 draft (probably because he'd noticed the same thing I had: Schaub played scared even with a great line, reliable run support and solid receivers, so it's no surprise he flamed out for the final time in 2013.) While watching a 2012 Texans game, I heard one of the commentators say Kubiak pushed hard to draft Keenum in the 7th, but, McNair being McNair, was overruled, so quietly hoped all other teams would pass on him too, then quickly snatched him up as an UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    There's no way a top CB will finish his contract for the mere $8M due next year, so he'll either 1) hold out until forcing us into a much costlier extension or 2) decline so badly so quickly he won't be worth $20M over the next two years (certainly not the $12M he's due in 2017 if we keep him.) Since he plays a speed position physically and turns 32 in a month, the smart money's on the latter: All $11M of the smart money, because our pre-June release cap hit's only $1M.

I'm reliably informed that even asking that question makes you a disloyal unappreciative fan. We didn't choose the Thug Life, except we did, and it's awesome.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

You have hit the exact point. They drafted Roby. They developed him. NOW they have to pay him $8.5m this year and start him and negotiate a long term deal with if they want to keep him. Talib just doesn't fit at $12m a year.

It is a reasonable salary for Talib, it's just that you can't pay 3 CBs a total of $31m or so. Especially not if they are serious about trying to sign a veteran QB who will cost somewhere between $20 and $30m a year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

He is playing at insanley high level so I would say he has a few more high level years
    Last edited by NightTerror218; 01-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information