Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos choice to stick with Joseph shows lack of accountability

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Broncos choice to stick with Joseph shows lack of accountability

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...accountability

Dont necessarily agree with the "bold moves" part as Elway did it with Fox after a winning season but there is plenty to agree with when it comes to the rest of the article.

The move to give Vance Joseph another year as head coach has a feel of Trevor Siemian Part Two. The organization and fans know how this story ends, but because failure is made by nice guys, they get a second chance anyway. Elway and the Broncos are, again, victims of a cult of personality. There’s no evidence to suggest Joseph will improve, but there is plentiful evidence Denver is afraid to make bold moves.For what? Continuity? Right, the same players who quit when they faced a little adversity on the field in 2017 will suddenly fight a little harder because their buddy is back.

Because you don’t quit on a quarterback after one season, so why do it with a coach? We saw how well that played out with Siemian. At this point, Elway and the Broncos are fighting the inevitable. You have to at least see something, anything, to lend that kind of trust to someone who failed in such epic fashion. Instead, what this shows is the expectation to win and compete for Super Bowls has been replaced with hope.

Let’s “hope” this works, because the pool of head coaches isn’t that great and Denver isn’t exactly in a state to compete for top-tier candidates. That way of thinking says a lot about the state of the franchise and how far it’s fallen. This is a franchise that just won a Super Bowl two seasons ago and has more Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons, yet now it can’t attract a top candidate? If that’s the case, why would a quarterback like
    Kirk Cousins come here?

Well VJ is the king of lack of accountability. Unless you are Jordan Taylor, Deangelo Henderson, Jamaal Charles or a few others that for whatever reason ended up in his doghouse most of the season.

Makes you wonder who Deangelo Henderson killed to end up in VJ's dog house until the final game if Mackenzie was allowed to fumble multiple times per game and survive...

I don't like the move...But I'll give it time. Hopefully he's learned from his mistakes and will pull his head out of his rectum come football time.

3. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Same author would have probably wrote an article trashing the Broncos if they did fire him so this was doom anyway.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Let’s “hope” this works, because the pool of head coaches isn’t that great and Denver isn’t exactly in a state to compete for top-tier candidates. That way of thinking says a lot about the state of the franchise and how far it’s fallen. This is a franchise that just won a Super Bowl two seasons ago and has more Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons, yet now it can’t attract a top candidate? If that’s the case, why would a quarterback like Kirk Cousins come here?
    Obviously Denver is NOT a great landing spot for any top head coaching candidate, because Elway keeps firing the coach after 1 or 2 seasons. That was the biggest reason he needed to just chill and let Joseph coach another year. He had to give the guy a chance in order to convince future coaching candidates "I will give you a chance too."

Otherwise, what does a coaching candidate think: "Hell, he gave Vance 3 garbage QBs and no decent OL and no offensive weapons to work with, and then fired him after 1 season, never admitting his own fault in the decline in talent on the roster. What makes me think the same thing won't happen to me if I take this job? PASS!"

As for Kirk Cousins, obviously he's not coming here anyway. If this idiot writer thinks that somehow Elway will work some "magic" and convince Cousins to come here and somehow take about $5m less than he'll get elsewhere and that somehow the Redskins wouldn't gleefully match any Broncos offer for $26m a year (or any reasonable amount), then of NO - Kirk Cousins ISN'T coming here.

And that is no reflection on John Elway. That simply means he is not stupid enough to offer Kirk Cousins $30+ million a year in order to force the Redskins to let him go.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

While I support Elway's decisions I was pretty surprised by this one. It seems as though the Broncos are settling for mediocrity by keeping VJ, I truly don't get it but holding faith that whatever Elway sees in VJ will soon be evident to the rest of us.

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Obviously Denver is NOT a great landing spot for any top head coaching candidate, because Elway keeps firing the coach after 1 or 2 seasons. That was the biggest reason he needed to just chill and let Joseph coach another year. He had to give the guy a chance in order to convince future coaching candidates "I will give you a chance too."

Otherwise, what does a coaching candidate think: "Hell, he gave Vance 3 garbage QBs and no decent OL and no offensive weapons to work with, and then fired him after 1 season, never admitting his own fault in the decline in talent on the roster. What makes me think the same thing won't happen to me if I take this job? PASS!"

As for Kirk Cousins, obviously he's not coming here anyway. If this idiot writer thinks that somehow Elway will work some "magic" and convince Cousins to come here and somehow take about $5m less than he'll get elsewhere and that somehow the Redskins wouldn't gleefully match any Broncos offer for $26m a year (or any reasonable amount), then of NO - Kirk Cousins ISN'T coming here.

And that is no reflection on John Elway. That simply means he is not stupid enough to offer Kirk Cousins $30+ million a year in order to force the Redskins to let him go.

They are all in on cousins. I keep telling you this. They are going to make it happen unless cousins just does not want to come here. I bet he does. Watch us make a go of it.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

They are all in on cousins. I keep telling you this. They are going to make it happen unless cousins just does not want to come here. I bet he does. Watch us make a go of it.
    I think they will Draft one if the top QBs and bring in a veteran. Not with Von's salary are they going for Cousins.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I think they will Draft one if the top QBs and bring in a veteran. Not with Von's salary are they going for Cousins.
    Well, reports are that neither Talib or Emmanual Sanders will be Broncos next year, that frees up $22M. If you dump a few more like CJ and Watson, money isn't the issue.

We can easily afford Cousins contract, but after watching him play the last few games of the season, he played like utter garbage...I'd pass not because we can't afford him, but because he just doesn't seem a good fit in Denver.

12. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Well, reports are that neither Talib or Emmanual Sanders will be Broncos next year, that frees up $22M. If you dump a few more like CJ and Watson, money isn't the issue.

We can easily afford Cousins contract, but after watching him play the last few games of the season, he played like utter garbage...I'd pass not because we can't afford him, but because he just doesn't seem a good fit in Denver.
    Did you watch the wash Denver game?

I dont want him either, and money is not the issue, but they are going for him. He is plan a.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Did you watch the wash Denver game?
    I did, I dunno, color me unimpressed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

With what Cousins had to work with this year im totally impressed. Give him a better team and he would improve even more.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I dont want him either, and money is not the issue, but they are going for him. He is plan a.
    Money is the bulk of my issue. We can afford him if we want him, but we'll be paying him as if he's the best QB in the league. If you are talking about bringing in Peyton Manning, that's acceptable, but Kirk Cousins isn't a top 3 or even top 5 QB. He's maybe tail end of the top 10 and you'll be paying him like he's the top dog. I don't think he's worth that and once we sign him, we'll be stuck with him for better or for worse for the remainder of that contract.

Having a lot of money tied into a player is great if that player elevates the team. I don't see Cousins elevating us enough to make it worth the cost, but I'm not in the FO so we'll see what they think in a couple of months.

Truthfully, it's not just the cash alone though, it's the fact that if Washington transition tags him (they will if they are smart) a team is going to have to give up AT MINIMUM one or two first round picks...If we're going to give up a first round pick for a QB, I'd rather we draft Mayfield.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Cousins is far and away better than any QB we have on the roster (with maybe the exception of Sunshine, who will never get his day in the...er.. sun). If we can get him, we should. It's really that simple.

QB is our biggest offensive problem, by far. If you have to create smaller problems to fix a huge one, I think you do it. So really a no-brainer there to me, even if we have to pay more than we'd like. Whether or not that fixes all problems, is another story, but nothing in the NFL is guaranteed. And knowing that, you just try to stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. Cousins represents one of the better odds stacking moves would could make.

I know our O-line is not great, and that needs help too, but I think that simply needs to be handled via more draft and better coaching. Since we've already given up on better coaching, I think we just have to live with the problem and hope a QB can overcome it's deficiency.

It's not great, but it's all we got.

19. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Cousins is far and away better than any QB we have on the roster (with maybe the exception of Sunshine, who will never get his day in the...er.. sun). If we can get him, we should. It's really that simple.

QB is our biggest offensive problem, by far. If you have to create smaller problems to fix a huge one, I think you do it. So really a no-brainer there to me, even if we have to pay more than we'd like. Whether or not that fixes all problems, is another story, but nothing in the NFL is guaranteed. And knowing that, you just try to stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. Cousins represents one of the better odds stacking moves would could make.

I know our O-line is not great, and that needs help too, but I think that simply needs to be handled via more draft and better coaching. Since we've already given up on better coaching, I think we just have to live with the problem and hope a QB can overcome it's deficiency.

It's not great, but it's all we got.
    RT and QB are top priorities. Need to. Keep QB upright

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information