Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Are Blaming the Broncos' "Decline in Talent" on Elway's Drafting. But Is This True?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Maybe not nothing, since we have been able to form an opinion that he offers nothing. No ability to adapt, or even grasp, even the system he is in, let alone any new system he's presented with. Raw talent in the realm of school-level optics is basically nothing. So, by showing nothing, maybe Lynch has shown us everything we need to see?

Otherwise, well said.
    Btw, the dire situation I eluded to is about what this team is doing. Elway, is in this place where it seems the Broncos are chasing their own tail. I think we are all thinking they are going to be drafting yet another first round QB this year. Let me say I think the QB class this year sucks. Yes, sucks. I don't any of them are all of that. Rosen is probably the best of all of them, but his passion for the game is questionable.

Baker Mayfield, everyone is going to make the Russell Wilson comparison. Well, a few things. One, Wilson ran basically a 4.4 in the 40. Now, for a QB that should not mean much. However, running speed for SHORT QBs is actually essential. Reported that Mayfield runs a 4.8. Wilson had some of the best agility numbers ever at the combine. Plus, he broke all sorts of passing records in the Big Ten at WISCONSIN. A school that is NOT known for passing, in a conference that actually plays defense. Unlike the Big XII. Can you name the last Big XII QB that made a great career in the NFL?

Sam Darnold.....not impressed with him at all. Seems to have a great PR machine behind him. He basically blows.

What does all of that mean? It means the Broncos need to put together an OL. That is probably harder than finding a franchise QB. I do believe that a solid OL makes average QBs good and good QBs great. However, I fear this team will draft one of those QBs and the line won't be addressed.

Rinse and repeat I fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Btw, the dire situation I eluded to is about what this team is doing. Elway, is in this place where it seems the Broncos are chasing their own tail. I think we are all thinking they are going to be drafting yet another first round QB this year. Let me say I think the QB class this year sucks. Yes, sucks. I don't any of them are all of that. Rosen is probably the best of all of them, but his passion for the game is questionable.

Baker Mayfield, everyone is going to make the Russell Wilson comparison. Well, a few things. One, Wilson ran basically a 4.4 in the 40. Now, for a QB that should not mean much. However, running speed for SHORT QBs is actually essential. Reported that Mayfield runs a 4.8. Wilson had some of the best agility numbers ever at the combine. Plus, he broke all sorts of passing records in the Big Ten at WISCONSIN. A school that is NOT known for passing, in a conference that actually plays defense. Unlike the Big XII. Can you name the last Big XII QB that made a great career in the NFL?

Sam Darnold.....not impressed with him at all. Seems to have a great PR machine behind him. He basically blows.

What does all of that mean? It means the Broncos need to put together an OL. That is probably harder than finding a franchise QB. I do believe that a solid OL makes average QBs good and good QBs great. However, I fear this team will draft one of those QBs and the line won't be addressed.

Rinse and repeat I fear.
    Can't say how much I agree! Every QB that has gotten hype reminds me of the failures of our QBs this year, when their faults are examined. Thus, FA.

3. The Following User High Fived Ground Control For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Not that a pro bowl means jack shit, other than the fact that the Broncos are one of two franchises that have not drafted pro bowler since 2012.

Hard to get past drafting Osweiler in the second round over Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins.

Cannot tell which is worse. That, or him drafting Montee Ball over Le'Veon Bell.
    I don't like to play the "he drafted player x over player y game" All 32 teams passed on Wilson and Cousins multiple times. You can't pin that on Elway.

Having said that, he HAS to hit on a QB this year if that's who we pick in the top 5. If he picks another bust this year, I don't see how we could ever trust his judgement in drafting QBs.

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't like to play the "he drafted player x over player y game" All 32 teams passed on Wilson and Cousins multiple times. You can't pin that on Elway.

Having said that, he HAS to hit on a QB this year if that's who we pick in the top 5. If he picks another bust this year, I don't see how we could ever trust his judgement in drafting QBs.
    That is how drafts are judged. It makes me more sick when we judge a draft 5 minutes after the draft. I do that too, so bear with me here. The true ways to JUDGE A DRAFT is years after.

Now, it is totally fair to judge a draft and determine whether it is good or bad.

As far as the point of ALL 32 teams, that is a little absurd. It was the Broncos that drafted a QB. That is the position they drafted and it is perfectly fair to criticize when this franchise (Elway) had Osweiler higher than Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins. I mean if we cannot judge that, then there is no point in ever judging anything about a draft or ever having any discussion about it.

There is really no way to get around the fact that he failed miserably with that pick and it is a rather crucial screw up. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Please, let me know what is a fair way to judge drafts, if we cannot point out stuff 5 years later? That goes for Montee Ball over Le'Veon Bell as well. That also goes for this franchise being one of two franchises not drafting one pro bowler since 2012.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

That is how drafts are judged. It makes me more sick when we judge a draft 5 minutes after the draft. I do that too, so bear with me here. The true ways to JUDGE A DRAFT is years after.

Now, it is totally fair to judge a draft and determine whether it is good or bad.

As far as the point of ALL 32 teams, that is a little absurd. It was the Broncos that drafted a QB. That is the position they drafted and it is perfectly fair to criticize when this franchise (Elway) had Osweiler higher than Russell Wilson or Kirk Cousins. I mean if we cannot judge that, then there is no point in ever judging anything about a draft or ever having any discussion about it.

There is really no way to get around the fact that he failed miserably with that pick and it is a rather crucial screw up. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Please, let me know what is a fair way to judge drafts, if we cannot point out stuff 5 years later? That goes for Montee Ball over Le'Veon Bell as well. That also goes for this franchise being one of two franchises not drafting one pro bowler since 2012.
    I just think it's kinda silly to blame one GM for not taking Cousins or Wilson in the early round when literally no team had them rated that high. It would have been a reach of a pick given the info we knew at the time and we would have been lucky for them to pan out.

The "he passed up on player x for player y" argument really only works in the first round when every team hasn't had a chance to pass over a guy yet. For example, drafting Cutler over Ngata in 06 was a legitimately awful pick.

When a mid round player like Cousins or Wilson pans out, that's not something anyone saw coming. If anyone saw it coming, they would have been first rounders. If Elway is a bad GM for passing on them, then every GM in the league is bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Elway sucks at drafting QBs and OL, that's a fact. Too bad that NFL teams need a good QB and OL to succeed.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Elway sucks at drafting QBs and OL, that's a fact. Too bad that NFL teams need a good QB and OL to succeed.
    I agree he sucks at drafting QBs. It's totally fair to criticize the two draft picks he made at QB. I just think it's a bit silly to single him out among the 32 GMs who all passed on Wilson and Cousins multiple times.

Besides, who knows if Wilson or Cousins even turn out the same here? For all we know, neither one develops the same way having to sit behind Manning or having to play behind our o-line.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Bronccoknight's whole draft schtick is terrible. It's all based on hindsight and it's awful. If only we would have shut down all air traffic on September 10th, 2001 instead of waiting til after the planes hit the buildings. Stupid government could have saved so many lives.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Bronccoknight's whole draft schtick is terrible. It's all based on hindsight and it's awful. If only we would have shut down all air traffic on September 10th, 2001 instead of waiting til after the planes hit the buildings. Stupid government could have saved so many lives.
    If only that idiot Shanahan had picked Brady in 2000 we'd be set right now!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

So we should not judge any drafts, especially ones conducted by the great John Elway. Makes a lot of sense

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So we should not judge any drafts, especially ones conducted by the great John Elway. Makes a lot of sense
    He literally just said Elway sucks at drafting QBs and OL. Try reading.

It's one thing to say his draft picks have been bad. That's a totally legit criticism. It's another thing to complain that he didn't draft a guy rounds earlier than any other team did. Sometimes players who no one thought would be good become good.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

We all knew it was going to be tough post Manning, but to have so many mistakes, glaring blow out losses, uninspiring defeats, weak preparation, lack of adjustments... idk how he is retained.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

17. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

He literally just said Elway sucks at drafting QBs and OL. Try reading.

It's one thing to say his draft picks have been bad. That's a totally legit criticism. It's another thing to complain that he didn't draft a guy rounds earlier than any other team did. Sometimes players who no one thought would be good become good.
    Actually criticising that he had Osweiler higher than Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins is a legit criticism. Just saying he sucks at drafting QBs is a general statement. It is basically saying the same thing I am.

Got it. Lets not say who they COULD HAVE drafted, lets just leave it at that he sucks at drafting QBs.

No really. Makes sense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

All draft criticisms are based on hindsight.

You all wake and bake this morning?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

I agree he sucks at drafting QBs. It's totally fair to criticize the two draft picks he made at QB. I just think it's a bit silly to single him out among the 32 GMs who all passed on Wilson and Cousins multiple times.

Besides, who knows if Wilson or Cousins even turn out the same here? For all we know, neither one develops the same way having to sit behind Manning or having to play behind our o-line.
    Again, the BRONCOS DRAFTED A QB. I see you are not understanding this.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information