Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Can we just take the transition tag off the table, please? Skins wont transition him because a cap rich team like the Jets or Browns could come in and offer a ridiculous signing bonus that Washington couldn't match and then they'd lose him for nothing. I think there is a (very slim) chance they franchise him again, but the more realistic options are to try to re-sign him long term or let him walk and get draft compensation.
    After looking at the news I now think you are right and that they won't bother with the transition tag. That leaves either sign him to a long term deal, or franchise him.

The problem is that he won't just sign a long term deal, because he wants maximum negotiating leverage, and that means taking offers from other teams once FA commences. That practically guarantees they have to franchise him, then try and negotiate a deal. He would take that deal assuming that it was for around $30m a year since that's what he'd get in FA.

But, even if he does become a FA, about 10 teams, many of them with more money than the Broncos will be in a bidding war for him. The odds he comes here are very low.

In fact, unless the Broncos sign Teddy Bridgewater or Case Keenum, I'd say they are looking at signing Sam Bradford and drafting a rookie.

That would not be great, but it's probably the best they can do without breaking the bank and dumping a bunch of salary (beyond losing Talib and CJ Anderson, whose twitter rant about the Broncos firing his running backs coach indicates he probably doesn't think he's coming back). They might fire all the discontented players and dump Sanders too.

You don't go on social media and criticize your bosses and not have any consequences and those guys have (in Talib's case of course it's his salary that is the problem since they have Roby who is younger and cheaper whom they need to re-sign). The defensive backs all criticized the firing of TJ Ward in not very diplomatic terms. And the negativity just escalated from there.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-10-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I really want Cousins, but not at the expense of 2 first round draft picks. If they use the non exclusive tag, I’m not going to be happy giving up the #5 overall and next year’s first to have the priveledge to sign him to a huge contract. We have holes to fill, too.

If that’s the cost, we should just draft a QB to be the future.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

3. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I really want Cousins, but not at the expense of 2 first round draft picks. If they use the non exclusive tag, I’m not going to be happy giving up the #5 overall and next year’s first to have the privilege to sign him to a huge contract. We have holes to fill, too.

If that’s the cost, we should just draft a QB to be the future.
    I think Elway agrees with you. I can't see him giving up the #5 pick to trade for a veteran FA. Plus, obviously the Redskins aren't interested in trading Cousins. They will only trade him IF they can't work out a long term contract. But, in that case, they'd have to franchise him first, and then trade his rights.

That would be a very complicated negotiation, because Cousins wouldn't have to agree to anything. HE could hold out and demand to choose his own team. They could agree on a trade in principle, with the understanding that the team would have some time to work out a deal with Cousins before any compensation would be due the Redskins.

Then it would come down to whether that team could sell Cousins on a deal.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Cousins is worth it

Paying millions to a cap friendly horrible QB is not.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Cousins is worth it

Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Cousins is worth it

What?? You mean you don't want a repeat of the immortal Trevor Siemian era?

But, Trevor was cheap, and Paxton is tall! I mean really tall. He's quite a tall guy. Vance Joseph said so when asked to comment on Paxton's performance. "He's tall." Best to stop right there I guess.

At one point you were slobbering over TS, too, Cugel. Don't talk greasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Be nice to Cugel, you monster!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I was high on Trevor once too, as it turns out I was just High it would seem.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I was high on Trevor once too, as it turns out I was just High it would seem.
    When a guy has to put his entire arm into deep throws, it's usually a bad sign.

But I tried to convince me that he was somehow good at football after the first four games this season. I knew better, but god dammit I wanted to believe.

When a guy has to put his entire arm into deep throws, it's usually a bad sign.

But I tried to convince me that he was somehow good at football after the first four games this season. I knew better, but god dammit I wanted to believe.
    Most of his floaters are due to horrible footwork

The dude throws flat footed even when he doesn’t have to

17. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Most of his floaters are due to horrible footwork
    He has a Drew Brees arm without the mechanics to make up for it. It's why he *can* throw deep balls (sort of) but all of his sideline deep out throws are so pathetic. Not much arm. Meh mechanics. Easily panicked. Just a bad player who lucked into the league in the first place.

I thought at his best that Siemian could be a poor man's Alex Smith. That's what Alfred Williams was claiming any way. Before the bye-week he looked like that could conceivably be right.

But, I have spent endless time on these boards pointing out how seldom 7th round picks become star QBs. It's much less than 1 in 100. So, I never thought Siemian would be a top 10 QB or something. I did hope he would turn out to be competent and in that expectation I was as mistaken as you.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information