Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Eli has a no trade clause

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Still don't want to leave the bank account empty for Cousins, though. But when thinking long term, a balance can be found with his salary and leaning towards drafting a future team around him. Of course, that brings back into question Elway's development prowess, and his ability to open up to let his coaches and staff help make a better future for the team. Also, it means the inevitable wait for fans to see the Broncos reach a championship level again.

Thanks for the point you made. I'm down for long term commitment and stability. Although we can't discount extended-aged success for Brees, ala Brady, Cousins makes much more sense in a reality where Elway leaves little room for faith in what he would do after Brees retires at the QB position. There is a long list of very successful QBs he has passed on while leaving us with what we have currently. He may change but unless he can land another ringer after Brees, a longer term proven QB is the better choice.
    What Elway did wrong wasn't what you supposed. He passed on Russell Wilson and took Osweiler in the 2nd round. That was a mistake. But, every single GM in the NFL made exactly the same mistake - TWICE and some of them three times.

Russell Wilson should have been drafted in the top 5 picks of the NFL draft if anybody had a clue what he would become. So, I don't think you can fault Elway for not seeing what nobody in the NFL saw. Because if they had even a passing glimmer of an idea, they would have drafted him in the first or second round. THat's where QBs teams see as serious candidates to become franchise starters are drafted.

Rarely third round, and later than that almost never.

3. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Alright. Moving on from Osweiler to Lynch. Clearly entering the season they were counting on Paxton Lynch to develop, and he just hasn't. He's just a bust. And Dak Prescott went to Dallas and he's been great. So, Elway once again took the wrong guy, right?

Not really. Once again NOBODY in the NFL, including the Dallas Cowboys, the team that drafted him, liked Dak Prescott more than Paxton Lynch. Not one NFL team.

Jerry Jones had to be talked out of trading up ahead of the Broncos who had traded up to get Paxton Lynch. Even though he wanted the Cowboys to draft Paxton Lynch he sat still and drafted Dak Prescott in the 4th round instead and the rest is history.

Well, if every single GM in the NFL totally WHIFFED on Dak Prescott 3 times and most of them 4 times, how can Elway be singled out for blame?

They all screwed up. There are about 10 teams that still need a QB that would love to have him right now.

As for drafting Paxton in the first round, yes he was probably over-drafted by 1 round. He was more of a late 2nd round prospect than a true first round prospect, and yes, few late 2nd rounders even pan out.

But, Dallas would have drafted Paxton in the first round if Denver passed on him. So, he was certain to be a first rounder regardless of Elway.

And if Jerry had somehow been sedated and placed under restraints so that he couldn't object, and Dallas passed on Paxton, then some other team would have drafted him in the 2nd round, because most of the rest of the teams had a 2nd round grade on him and some would have seen him as a value pick in the late 2nd round. Even more so in the top of the 3rd round if somehow he fell that far. Someone was going to draft the kid.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Dak sucked this year - his flame out will be RG3 esque

But yeah, i do get your point

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Dak sucked this year - his flame out will be RG3 esque

But yeah, i do get your point
    The point is simply that "who should Elway have drafted instead of Paxton? Well, Dak Prescott obviously." He was the only QB still on the boards when the Broncos drafted who would have been any better than Paxton.

They could simply have passed on a 1st round QB, taken something else, let Dallas have Lynch and then draft Prescott in the 3rd round.

But not one NFL GM would have thought that was a good idea.

Sometimes they just don't get it right. And the reason is that college football is getting more and more unlike the NFL so - according to interview with Mike Shanahan, there's almost no way for NFL scouts to evaluate college QB prospects except going by "arm talent". Can the guy make all the required throws with velocity and accuracy. Is his throwing mechanic good? Does he look DBs off his receivers and throw with good anticipation.

Unfortunately, this is like the difference in baseball between being a pitcher and being just a thrower. One guy knows how to get outs and one doesn't. In the NFL the mental aspect of the game is much more important than having a great arm.

Jeff George had a much better arm than Peyton Manning. Unfortunately, Jeff Georg's brain was attached to that arm, not Peyton Manning's brain. Hence Jeff George crapped his way out of the NFL and never understood why his phone never rang with offers to come back and play after his day was done.

Case closed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The point is simply that "who should Elway have drafted instead of Paxton? Well, Dak Prescott obviously." He was the only QB still on the boards when the Broncos drafted who would have been any better than Paxton.

They could simply have passed on a 1st round QB, taken something else, let Dallas have Lynch and then draft Prescott in the 3rd round.

But not one NFL GM would have thought that was a good idea.

Sometimes they just don't get it right. And the reason is that college football is getting more and more unlike the NFL so - according to interview with Mike Shanahan, there's almost no way for NFL scouts to evaluate college QB prospects except going by "arm talent". Can the guy make all the required throws with velocity and accuracy. Is his throwing mechanic good? Does he look DBs off his receivers and throw with good anticipation.

Unfortunately, this is like the difference in baseball between being a pitcher and being just a thrower. One guy knows how to get outs and one doesn't. In the NFL the mental aspect of the game is much more important than having a great arm.

Jeff George had a much better arm than Peyton Manning. Unfortunately, Jeff Georg's brain was attached to that arm, not Peyton Manning's brain. Hence Jeff George crapped his way out of the NFL and never understood why his phone never rang with offers to come back and play after his day was done.

Case closed.
    Like I said, I get your point

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Like I said, I get your point
    Not me. I remain unmoved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

I have no issues what so ever in the team spending around 30 mil on Cousins, no matter how many words people type.

I think we can afford it with very little changes to the roster.

Cousins will quite possibly lead the league in yards if we can find a TE to match with DT and Sanders.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Cug you really need a drink. Or a valium or a Xanax.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Cousins lit up our defense with subpar players. Yea, i would love to have him as he is better than ANY QB we have on the roster.
    True, at present. But I'm one of those die-hards who are not counting out Paxton Lynch for
    the future until I see more of him. There's no way anyone can have a bead on him after 4½
    whole games.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    True, at present. But I'm one of those die-hards who are not counting out Paxton Lynch for
    the future until I see more of him. There's no way anyone can have a bead on him after 4½
    whole games.
    Chances are Denver isnt going to discard him, but i wouldnt expect him to start next year, he still has a long way to go and lot more to learn (if he ever does). I just dont see Denver rolling the dice next year and letting him start the entire season which is why i think they are giving him this last game to see if he improved any. Much like the Raiders game the cards are stacked in his favor, the Chiefs will be sitting a lot of starters so its basically Lynch and our starters vs a preseason squad. If he cant do anything against them at home i think the writing will be on the wall in that regard.

The problem with Lynch outside of his miniscule football IQ is his contract. It would be a 4.46 million dollar cap hit to cut him, and he has no trade value. The Broncos are stuck with him for at least another year. He gets to be a multi million dollar clipboard holder.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Chances are Denver isnt going to discard him, but i wouldnt expect him to start next year, he still has a long way to go and lot more to learn (if he ever does). I just dont see Denver rolling the dice next year and letting him start the entire season which is why i think they are giving him this last game to see if he improved any. Much like the Raiders game the cards are stacked in his favor, the Chiefs will be sitting a lot of starters so its basically Lynch and our starters vs a preseason squad. If he cant do anything against them at home i think the writing will be on the wall in that regard.
    It's quite a dilemma, as I view it. If they rely on him, they're rolling the dice. If they go after, say, a Cousins or spend their #1 on a QB, they're also rolling the dice. In Cousins' case, they're betting Lynch won't make it because that will end his quest to be a starter, and that's a #1 down the drain plus the $27K or whatever for Cousins. In the case of a draft choice, they're bringing in another untested #1 to compete with an already invested, largely untested #1. It's a choice I'm glad I don't have to make . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The problem with Lynch outside of his miniscule football IQ is his contract. It would be a 4.46 million dollar cap hit to cut him, and he has no trade value. The Broncos are stuck with him for at least another year. He gets to be a multi million dollar clipboard holder.
    You know, I've heard more than once about Lynch's football I.Q., and I would like to know specifically what has caused that impression. I wonder what they would have thought about the I.Q. of a rookie who put his hands under a guard's butt to receive the snap.
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-30-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    You know, I've heard more than once about Lynch's football I.Q., and I would like to know specifically what has caused that impression. I wonder what they would have thought about the I.Q. of a rookie who put his hands under a guard's butt to receive the snap.
    Specifically, Tyler Polumbus was talking about it during the preseason on Orange and Blue radio. Then they interviewed a former player that was a coaching intern last season, and he was talking about how Paxton didn't understand even the most basic football concepts coming in. His play on the field seems to back it up. Polumbus has a lot of friends in the locker room, and plays cards with the Olineman on occasion. (Or so he says)

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information