Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

I have said before and will say again, IF Cousins comes here AND we don't get stupid and get rid of Sanders or DT and we happen to have a TE step up (Butt?), Cousins will have a monster year with us. He will quite possibly be the number 1 QB in stats.

Does that make him the #1 QB in talent? No, but he is already based on the last 3 years a top 5 QB and he has never had this kind of talent at WR.

2. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    No he wont. Because the bidding war works out the same for everyone. At best, there would be 4 teams bidding for Cousins. WAS, CLE, DEN, NYJ. Basing that on immediate need and available money. But all 4 teams also have the options to sign a lesser vet AND draft a future QB. So any of those teams can say "25 or 27 per year is as high as we go. Past that, we move to plan B". Kind of what Denver did with Oz. Here is where we'll go...anything past that, se la vie.

So, if Cousins "demands" 30 mil and those 4 teams choose to draft Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Jackson, Allen, etc. to groom under a lesser vet, then Cousins is left without a team and his price drops. I really have faith that all 4 teams are smart enough to go the smarter route, thus limiting the contract on Cousins. If there were lesser talent in the draft...maybe. But there are too many talented draft options available. I think all 4 teams have a number in their head that they'll go to and if it's the same number for all 4, then Cousins just has to decide which is his preference. But he's not getting 30 mil.

Agreed.
    And I have heard that we are all in on cousins and want to take the Nelson kid at G with our first pick. I know cousins has interest in coming here too. This could work out quite well.

If we do land cousins for about the 25mil +/- you are mentioning and we grab Nelson (maybe trade down a few slots add another 1st or 2nd perhaps) we are still loaded going into pick 40. I havent gotten into prospects yet, but I have to imagine there is going to be a stud DL or ILB or CB or T or RB at 40.

If we do land cousins I fully expect us to get 2 OL within the top 105 players.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

4. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, i get what you are saying but the one advantage that Cousins has over the Matt Flynns and Matt Cassells is that he has more body of work to go from. Brock, Flynn, Cassell, Anderson, all those guys had like 1 year or less before teams blew their load on them. Cousins has six seasons under his belt with the last 3 being pretty good despite the w/l record for the team.
    And I absolutely get that and I do agree with you on this portion, I almost brought that up, but my post was already a Joel sized novel.

6. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have said before and will say again, IF Cousins comes here AND we don't get stupid and get rid of Sanders or DT and we happen to have a TE step up (Butt?), Cousins will have a monster year with us. He will quite possibly be the number 1 QB in stats.

Does that make him the #1 QB in talent? No, but he is already based on the last 3 years a top 5 QB and he has never had this kind of talent at WR.
    Sanders is likely gone per Vic Lombardi. He tweeted out the other day that neither Sanders or Talib are expected to be retained and that would free up around $22M.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Only reason I could see dropping Sanders is he has dropped off a bit, but he still has a great quickness and catches nearly everything thrown to him. Who would replace him? That person is not on the roster IMO. Not in production capability anyway.

Jake Plummer, northy. You cannot forget Jake the Snake!!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Only reason I could see dropping Sanders is he has dropped off a bit, but he still has a great quickness and catches nearly everything thrown to him. Who would replace him? That person is not on the roster IMO. Not in production capability anyway.

Carlos Henderson.

I do not want to get rid of Sanders though. He is my fave wr on the team right now. I think he'd be back to a 80/1100 year if we had a QB like Cappy Kirk
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I love Sanders as much as the next guy but i do think he will be gone. DT costs to much to get rid of unless you trade him and i dont see Denver doing that especially if they want to sign a guy like Cousins. As far as replacing Sanders it can be done. I have a feeling that Fitzgerald may want to leave Arizona and might be looking for one last hooray before he retires. Martavis Bryant, Davante Adams, Taylor Gabriel, Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson, are potential FA targets. Not too mention Denver could use a draft pick to grab one.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Jake Plummer, northy. You cannot forget Jake the Snake!!
    Touche...

To be honest I completely forgot Carlos was on the roster.

17. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

I am fine with letting Sanders go....as long as we get a competent oline and a good QB. A competent oline and a good QB will get more out of any WR core than a good QB, good WR, and crappy oline.

Have to both fix the oline and QB. Whatever it takes. Anything short of that will result in the same garbage we got this year.

19. The Following User High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I am fine with letting Sanders go....as long as we get a competent oline and a good QB. A competent oline and a good QB will get more out of any WR core than a good QB, good WR, and crappy oline.

Have to both fix the oline and QB. Whatever it takes. Anything short of that will result in the same garbage we got this year.
    This is my POV in general. I don't want to lose Talib or Sanders, per se, but having talented guys on the outside is a luxury that you can't afford when your front 7 & o-line/QB play is a dumpster fire. Gotta build from the inside out and if we need to reallocate those dollars then that might be a tradeoff we have to live with.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    This is my POV in general. I don't want to lose Talib or Sanders, per se, but having talented guys on the outside is a luxury that you can't afford when your front 7 & o-line/QB play is a dumpster fire. Gotta build from the inside out and if we need to reallocate those dollars then that might be a tradeoff we have to live with.
    I hate the idea of Talib going, but $11M is $11m and when you have to free up cap space, his contract basically makes him expendable even if his play on the field absolutely does not. Same with Sanders, between him and DT, he's the expendable option. If I had my choice, I'd ship DT the hell out of here, but it would cost more to ship DT out than Sanders so Sanders is expendable.

23. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Thing with Sanders is it will only save 5.5 million if they cut him.

Thing with Sanders is it will only save 5.5 million if they cut him.
    That's actually only partially true. If they designate him a post-June 1 cut (zero reason not to, doesn't hurt us to do so) he'll save us over $8M dollars. The figure you are quoting is if we cut him out right without the post-June 1 cut designation. (Source:OvertheCap)

26. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information