Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    https://twitter.com/StevenSpector10/...85058319544322

Cowherd just reported that Kirk Cousins and Broncos are close to a deal
    ---------------------------
    Since they'd have to go through the 'Skins we'll see what the cost winds up being - and I'm not sold that Cowherd is a news-breaker on this one. But it'd help clarify the draft in short order.
    I bit on that and posted it before deleting it. I don't see how it could be, plus Cowherd would put that crap on his own twitter and toot his own horn about it. I'm calling fake news.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Cousins is still a member of the Redskins until free agency starts on March 14 at 4:00 p.m... We cannot negotiate with free agents until the negotiation period begins on March 12.

It'd be tampering to be discussing a contract with him now, unless maybe their front office gave him permission to speak with other teams, which is possible since there's zero chance he'll return to the Redskins.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

They could technically tag him and then trade him. Not sure why you'd do that, but there it is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    They could technically tag him and then trade him. Not sure why you'd do that, but there it is.
    February 20 is the first day teams can tag their players... But that would be silly of them because then any team taking him would be on the hook for his $34 million 2019 salary that would kick in when you franchise a guy for 3 consecutive years.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    February 20 is the first day teams can tag their players... But that would be silly of them because then any team taking him would be on the hook for his $34 million 2019 salary that would kick in when you franchise a guy for 3 consecutive years.
    I feel I covered that with the "not sure why you'd do that", but I'll go with your more verbose statement.

6. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I feel I covered that with the "not sure why you'd do that", but I'll go with your more verbose statement.
    See, and I felt like I was being charitable by not saying, "there is absolutely no scenario where that would ever come into play for any reason." So no, tagging and trading him is an impossibility and you should feel dumb for posting it.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Cousins is still a member of the Redskins until free agency starts on March 14 at 4:00 p.m... We cannot negotiate with free agents until the negotiation period begins on March 12.

It'd be tampering to be discussing a contract with him now, unless maybe their front office gave him permission to speak with other teams, which is possible since there's zero chance he'll return to the Redskins.
    Wouldn't the Redskins have exclusive negotiating rights with him through that point and therefore could arrange a sign and trade, and give permission to his agent to seek an extension with whatever team may be on the other end?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Wouldn't the Redskins have exclusive negotiating rights with him through that point and therefore could arrange a sign and trade, and give permission to his agent to seek an extension with whatever team may be on the other end?
    The Redskins just acquired Alex Smith and paid him $94 million. Which means that they cannot keep Cousins. Why on earth would any team give up draft compensation for a guy who is going to be a free agent in a couple weeks?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

If Broncos were to trade for Cousins.. I actually see Talib going to the Skins. Kendall went Chiefs way, now they get back a top flight DB for their QB... just a thought

Talib is good as gone anyway, wouldn't hurt to trade him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

See, and I felt like I was being charitable by not saying, "there is absolutely no scenario where that would ever come into play for any reason." So no, tagging and trading him is an impossibility and you should feel dumb for posting it.
    As long as teams like the Browns exist, the possibility of a scenario exists. I may feel dumb, but it's not for YOUR reasons.

13. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Redskins just acquired Alex Smith and paid him $94 million. Which means that they cannot keep Cousins. Why on earth would any team give up draft compensation for a guy who is going to be a free agent in a couple weeks?
    I don't know (the underlying reason seems to be "exclusive negotiating rights," but as I pointed out yesterday that rarely happens in the NFL, when it does happen in other sports because of the nature of guaranteed contracts). I'm just pondering as to whether it's possible or not.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I don't know (the underlying reason seems to be "exclusive negotiating rights," but as I pointed out yesterday that rarely happens in the NFL, when it does happen in other sports because of the nature of guaranteed contracts). I'm just pondering as to whether it's possible or not.
    Right but I think you're conflating different situations. The reason a team might do that in the NFL is if a guy only has 1 year left on his deal, or is in the final year of his deal and is traded midseason, and the acquiring team is willing to pay the draft pick premium in exchange for signing him to a new long term deal.

In this case there is literally no reason a team would even consider negotiation with Washington because it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be a free agent on March 14.

Not sure how he could be close to a deal, it's not FA yet.

Colin Cowherd is stating that Denver will have to pay $28m a year. "Kirk will get his money and lose football games." Rather depends on what other talent they put around him.

"Washington absolutely upgraded at QB" - by getting Alex Smith, he bleats. Of course the Chefs don't think so. They traded to move up in the first round to grab Pat Mahomes so they could get rid of Smith. After he failed multiple times to win a playoff game. Remember that Alex Smith is 33 and Cousins is 29. So, he has 4 more years already and will possibly last another 3 IF they keep him healthy.

Right now Denver is the odds on favorite to win the division next season if they land Cousins. I would not say this is a done deal though until everything is finalized. At most the Redskins can give Denver the right to negotiate with Cousins, because he hasn't been released and won't be until the league year ends. And he won't be a FA until March.

But, if this pans out, the Broncos could trade their #5 pick to some team that wants to draft Josh Allen. That would be great news.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Right but I think you're conflating different situations. The reason a team might do that in the NFL is if a guy only has 1 year left on his deal, or is in the final year of his deal and is traded midseason, and the acquiring team is willing to pay the draft pick premium in exchange for signing him to a new long term deal.

In this case there is literally no reason a team would even consider negotiation with Washington because it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be a free agent on March 14.
    It would seem unusual, yes.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information