Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Cousins is a pro, but...

The more i think about making a huge push for cousins, the less i feel good about it.

I just dont see what everyone else sees, im not impressed nor am I even remotely confident that this guy will be anything more than what he is with a big price tag. Great QBs elevate the players around them, so far i havent seen Cousins be the guy who can pick his inept team up and take them on his back and make things happen.

I really hope denver doesnt throw 20-25 mil at this guy only to find out he is Alex Smith with a lot more hype. Not saying Smith is awful, he just isnt the guy who elevates his team.

My 2 cents.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

I really hope denver doesnt throw 20-25 mil at this guy only to find out he is Alex Smith with a lot more hype. Not saying Smith is awful, he just isnt the guy who elevates his team.
    It will take a lot more than $20m to land Cousins. A lot closer to $30m than $20m. Estimates range from $28-$30m per year, 4 year, $112-$120m contract, perhaps $70m guaranteed (although the guarantee is really anybody's guess). There would probably be a fifth year option at more than $30m of course.

Reportedly John Elway is all in on Cousins. Makes sense because the alternatives are as follows:

1. Draft Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen. Suck for 2 seasons with inexperienced QBs. They'd be lucky to win 6 games with either next season. Oh, and fire VJ in mid season after the team starts 1-5 or something.

2. Draft Mayfield or Allen, or possibly Sam Darnold, and sign a bridge QB. The most obvious ones who may be available are Alex Smith (via a trade with KC if they would consider that), AJ McCarron (also via trade), Teddy Bridgewater (if his knee checks out). The Vikings are likely to franchise Case Keenum so he's out.

3. Sign Kirk Cousins. Pay him a boatload of cash. Use their draft picks to shore up the feeble OL or else draft a real playmaker with the #5 pick.

Win the division.

I vote for what's behind door number #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Talib right now is a high quality CB who would demand much more in FA than we're paying him.

Wolfe signed a good deal for both sides - sans his injury he would have made what Jackson made. He took a discount, if you recall.

Again, another CB vastly outperforming his contract, and one that's not close to being commensurate with his play.

Roby, again another CB who could make more. The money on defense isn't screwing the team. We had enough cap space to sign Whitworth or Campbell. We didn't.

You don't have to have cap space ala the Browns to have a workable roster.
    I wasn't arguing they should get rid of all those players. Just Talib, and that's what is overwhelmingly likely to happen too. Talib himself mentioned this possibility in his season ending presser when he said he wasn't sure if he would be back "ask John Elway." And then he walked out of the room blowing off any further questions.

He knows he's not coming back. He doesn't care. He will get more money somewhere else.

So, now that Alex Smith is getting traded to the Redskins, the writing is on the wall fellas. Like it or not, Captain Kirk is your new Broncos starting QB.

6. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27583113_10156214086163324_720758256_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	11727

Sick AF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm starting to get too hype.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I'm stoked!

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Sick AF.
    Like, I'm actually legit hyped now. I didn't think we'd win this race, but now it's us vs the Jets and who willingly wants to be a Jet? Good god fellas, we're about to have a competent QB again.

AND we can draft Fitzpatrick or Barkley with pick 5! This team's going to be amazing again.

15. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Gimme Nelson at 5 and buckle up.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm starting to get too hype.
    Time to start playing possum then.

19. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Like, I'm actually legit hyped now. I didn't think we'd win this race, but now it's us vs the Jets and who willingly wants to be a Jet? Good god fellas, we're about to have a competent QB again.

AND we can draft Fitzpatrick or Barkley with pick 5! This team's going to be amazing again.
    I read on Twitter tonight it's us vs the Jags?

I don't think this necessarily means that we're getting Cousins, though it does clear out all of the potential tag situations that were being discussed. He's a straight up FA now. Jets should be in on him. What about the Cardinals? The Browns? It's not a slam dunk.

And I still say if we're shedding talent like Talib and Sanders to pay Cousins, that makes little sense. Rather have a rookie and a stop gap then bank everything on Cousins, but we shall see.

22. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
    4m4 minutes ago

Kansas City is expected to receive a second-round pick from Washington for Alex Smith and possibly more, per source. But a second-round pick was the price as of this morning, before trade between KC and Washington finalized.

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
    11m11 minutes ago

QB Alex Smith and Washington now have reached an agreement on a new four-year contract extension, per sources. Smith, who had one year left on his contact, tied to Washington for next five seasons. Smith gets long-term deal from Washington that Cousins could not.

Mary Kay Cabot
    ‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot
    2m2 minutes ago

The #Browns tried to trade for #Chiefs QB Alex Smith, sources tell http://cleveland.com , but he's going to the #Redskins instead per @TerezPaylor

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information