Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looks Like the Chiefs are Starting Mahomes

Default Looks Like the Chiefs are Starting Mahomes

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid announced Wednesday that they’re starting QB Patrick Mahomes for Sunday’s game against the Broncos, per BJ Kissel.

http://nfltraderumors.co/chiefs-star...homes-week-17/

*Can a mod please correct the typo in the title? Thanks.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

Sounds reasonable if they don't need the win to change anything. Just like us with PL, they need to see what they have.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Mahommes will out play Lynch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Bold statement Cotton.

5. The Following 10 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

If Mahomes plays the entire game, then he will already out perform Lynch.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

I'm hoping Mahomes plays lights out so they cut Smith this offseason. Smith would be a nice veteran addition to the Broncos.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    My cat could outplay Lynch. And he's been dead for since 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    I'm hoping Mahomes plays lights out so they cut Smith this offseason. Smith would be a nice veteran addition to the Broncos.
    #1. Alex Smith is gone next year whether Pat Mahomes does well or not. Andy Reid did not hesitate to cut Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith is due $20m next year. Chances he stays in KC are zero unless they Chefs win the SB. And who believes they will do that?

#2 With Smith under contract, he'd have to be traded. The CHefs will field numerous offers for him, but with the multitude of FA QBs the price might not be too high for a team like the Broncos. Normally a team won't trade within their division, but Andy Reid did that with McNab so . . . .

The question is whether the Broncos want to pay Alex Smith $20m a year and whether he would want to come here when clearly the Broncos are trying to draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

POssibly not. I wouldn't do it if I were Alex Smith. There are better offers that will be available.

11. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If Mahomes plays the entire game, then he will already out perform Lynch.
    Now you're frightening me. What if Lynch gets hurt again and they have to go to Osweiler, and he plays well and the Broncos win? That would screw them out of their top 5 draft pick!

Of course Osweiler did have that stinker against the Redskins, so there's hope in that scenario. But, I feel a lot more confident with Lynch in the game that the Broncos will lose.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    #1. Alex Smith is gone next year whether Pat Mahomes does well or not. Andy Reid did not hesitate to cut Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith is due $20m next year. Chances he stays in KC are zero unless they Chefs win the SB. And who believes they will do that?

#2 With Smith under contract, he'd have to be traded. The CHefs will field numerous offers for him, but with the multitude of FA QBs the price might not be too high for a team like the Broncos. Normally a team won't trade within their division, but Andy Reid did that with McNab so . . . .

The question is whether the Broncos want to pay Alex Smith $20m a year and whether he would want to come here when clearly the Broncos are trying to draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

POssibly not. I wouldn't do it if I were Alex Smith. There are better offers that will be available.
    The only teams I could see trading for him are those who believe that they're just 1 QB upgrade away from winning the SB in 2018. Its theoretically possible that some in Green Bay & Pittsburgh might believe that they'd be better off with QBs that could stay healthy for an entire season, but that's the only thing that Smith can do better the Rodgers & Roethlisberger. As far as his actual on field performance, he's obviously a downgrade. As far as the other play-off teams, who's QB can he actually out perform?

Smith might want to dictate terms to his next team this off-season, but I don't know just how much leverage he might have. I think he should be happy to sign as a FA to do what he did in KC this year, groom their QB of the future. If he's willing to accept that role, as well as the salary that comes with it, then I think Elway would give him serious consideration and I'd be happy to see him here.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

If Smith would be ok signing here knowing we plan to pick a QB in the first round this year (if that's the plan) I would be all on board. I would hope Elway wouldn't do him dirty like the Bears did with Glennon this offseason. That makes you the kind of franchise FAs don't want to sign with.

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

I have a sinking feeling deep down in my stomach that Patrick Mahomes is going to rule the AFC West for a decade or so. Please be wrong mr. stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    I have a sinking feeling deep down in my stomach that Patrick Mahomes is going to rule the AFC West for a decade or so. Please be wrong mr. stomach.
    Looks like your stomach is on the right tract so far (heh). We'll see how things play out with more film and scheming answers. And see how he responds to pressure/ damage. Mid season will reveal all for this year (at least as far as Broncos fans are concerned).

My gut says he's going to be really good but not unbeatable. Insert Von Miller post sack, centipede crawl here...

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Mahomes has even more talent than I had given him credit for.

However, he's started all of 3 games in the NFL. Teams just now have enough tape to actually start tailoring a scheme to defend against him. He'll return to Earth in the next few weeks, and by the end of the season we'll know for sure if he's the next Joe Montana or not.

I'm a little concerned, but the Andy Reid Chiefs always seem to come out of the gates strong and fade by mid-season.

18. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

Quote Originally Posted by atwater27 View Post
    More like a decade and a half.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information