Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 17 (Chiefs week)

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    OUT OF NOWHERE TO WIN THE BELT!

#joelbomb
    #****brevity
    Well, top ten draft picks involve a minimum of ten teams; take away the two line analysis of the others QB needs and the post is just three short paragraphs:

1) Most other teams drafting in the top ten already spent a high pick on a franchise QB either this year or last, and Cleveland's the only team that thinks taking a QB #3 overall five straight years will turn around a perpetual cellar dweller.

2) I loathe focusing high picks on "needs," for many reasons often stated.

3) IF we insist on going for a QB despite the reasons addressed in #2, our chances of getting a top prospect are far better than usual due to #1.

I still feel Cugel overstates the case against late 1st round QBs (e.g. Brees) but it is true that the only way to get a top QB prospect is to either give away all the other draft picks to move up or have a season like this one. So if we MUST have a top QB prospect NOW, now is precisely when we have the best chance we can hope to get for a while. Because the only way we'll get a better one is to go the route of the Browns and Jets, and I doubt any Broncos fan hopes for THAT.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Word is we want that guard from ND. If so, I bet they do go hard after cousins and see what De Jour Kelly can learn behind him. If we do go the guard that does leave us sitting pretty to trade back a bit if we want but also the ability to pull a top T, ILB, CB or DE with our 35th-ish pick. We have lots of ammo this year!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

3. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Word is we want that guard from ND. If so, I bet they do go hard after cousins and see what De Jour Kelly can learn behind him. If we do go the guard that does leave us sitting pretty to trade back a bit if we want but also the ability to pull a top T, ILB, CB or DE with our 35th-ish pick. We have lots of ammo this year!
    Elway is going to be fighting John Lynch for him. I do like this line of thinking.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

And draft Jake Browning.

#winning
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i just don't get taking nelson over mcglinchey. . . getting a monster LT makes your roster construction SO much easier. . . we already have one studly guard, and mcgovern is promising. . . you can find quality guards later on, especially with high picks in every round. . . plus, there are legit, quality starting OGs available in free agency pretty much every year. . . quality OTs are extremely hard to find in FA. . . unless nelson is head and shoulders, night and day better, stop overthinking it and land the damn tackle. . .

7. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

That'd normally thrill me, because we need a second solid starter and the position's so undervalued that, as you note, a team can often trade back AND get the best G.

However, the closer we get to the #1 overall pick the more I prefer the BPA, because teams drafting that high are teams with far too many needs for a single draft to fill, and thus no business prioritizing any single need among many at the expense of elite talent. Unless you're the Browns, you only get a shot at a DRoY/potential HoFer like Von Miller once every decade or two, especially since even high picks can be busts. Blowing off one of those rare precious shots at the kind of player teams are built around just because we "really need" even a decent player at half a dozen positions is invariably a mistake.

Slightly above average rookies can't transform 4-12 doormats into 12-4 contenders, but bad team capitalizing on the elite talent available through high draft picks can fill remaining holes with "merely good" players after their perennial All Pro raises their draft position so high that the "best available player" isn't a potential HoFer anyway.

The note on the relative quality of our natural second rounder further illustrates that: Our record's so bad this year that our SECOND round pick's about as good as a playoff teams first rounder, so we have a shot at a franchise-changing player AND the kind of quality starter our first round pick would be restricted to in better seasons. For example, Lynch was a #26 overall pick, Roby #31 and Wolfe #36, so that's the kind of player we'll have a decent shot even after chasing a HoFer with our first pick.

Happy 2018, Broncos fans.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That'd normally thrill me, because we need a second solid starter and the position's so undervalued that, as you note, a team can often trade back AND get the best G.

However, the closer we get to the #1 overall pick the more I prefer the BPA
    From what I have heard, he is the best player available in the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

10. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    From what I have heard, he is the best player available in the draft.
    Then pull that trigger, Elway.

Unless the Browns, Colts or Giants beat us to him; given their respective lines, that seems likely if he's really that good. Maybe the Browns go for yet another QB, but the others finished with top three picks despite likely HoFers under center, all because of forcing both to run for their lives most of their careers. Remember how the defining play of Eli Mannings career started? Unless he miraculously escapes a dog pile there's no Helmet Catch, and NE* has historys only 16-game perfect season.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information