Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Star Wars... I don't want to go in the spoiler thread so just tell me YES or NO if you liked it

Loved it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Loved it.
    This movie is going to divide Star Wars fans worse than the prequels. I think that alone makes it a great movie!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, talked to my relatives at xmas who are huge SW's fans and they HATED this movie. I have no idea what to really think about it but maybe since im not as a diehard i may enjoy it more than others. Lmao

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, talked to my relatives at xmas who are huge SW's fans and they HATED this movie. I have no idea what to really think about it but maybe since im not as a diehard i may enjoy it more than others. Lmao
    Well in my experience it doesn't matter if you are a huge Star Wars fan. The friend I saw it with is a big fan like me but hated it, I thought it was middling with some interesting concepts, but then my wife who I dragged to the movie with my son and his friend thought it was good. Who knows?

EDIT: I think the key to this movie is how much you love the original trilogy or even The Force Awakens. I love the OT but was pretty forgiving of the prequels. The Last Jedi seems to kind of shove the OT and even parts of The Force Awakens under the bed. As a matter of fact that is the most frustrating thing of the movie to me in some ways. They are in the middle chapter of a trilogy and it feels like they hit the reset button on so many things. You could almost ignore The Force Awakens at this point given we are back to square one with bad guys vs Rebels.
    Last edited by MasterShake; 12-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.

5. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Well in my experience it doesn't matter if you are a huge Star Wars fan. The friend I saw it with is a big fan like me but hated it, I thought it was middling with some interesting concepts, but then my wife who I dragged to the movie with my son and his friend thought it was good. Who knows?

EDIT: I think the key to this movie is how much you love the original trilogy or even The Force Awakens. I love the OT but was pretty forgiving of the prequels. The Last Jedi seems to kind of shove the OT and even parts of The Force Awakens under the bed. As a matter of fact that is the most frustrating thing of the movie to me in some ways. They are in the middle chapter of a trilogy and it feels like they hit the reset button on so many things. You could almost ignore The Force Awakens at this point given we are back to square one with bad guys vs Rebels.
    Maybe I’m just not thinking about this very hard, but what has to be reset? And how did it shove the past movies under the bed?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Maybe I’m just not thinking about this very hard, but what has to be reset? And how did it shove the past movies under the bed?
    Spoilers:

The Original Trilogy and even Prequel Trilogy set up the Skywalker family as possibly the most important people in the Universe. Anakin was labeled the "chosen one" who would bring balance to the Force, and he did but only after his son helped him redeem himself at the end of Return of the Jedi.

In The Force Awakens as far as we know The Skywalkers and their sacrifice to bring balance to the Force across 6 movies was still in play and Luke was in hiding but he left a map to himself for some odd reason. One could assume it was that he was training to be more of a badass then ever by going to the original Jedi temple and would return to cement the Skywalker legacy. At the same time we see Rey with a mysterious past who could be either a Solo/Kenobi/Skywalker herself and seems to have a connection with Luke's lightsaber and even flashes back to key events in his life when she encounters it. Meanwhile, Han Solo's kid has turned to the tutelage of a Dark Side user that saw the rise and fall of the Empire and could be an ancient evil the predates even the Sith! We establish that Leia is part of the Galactic Republic but still operates a "Resistance" under the table as the First Order scrambles to piece itself back together from the remnants of the Empire. The Resistance is dealt a huge blow with the loss of most of their capital system and fleet, and Rey defeats Kylo but loses Han Solo before traveling to meet Luke who stares at her with great apprehension opening the door for him to come back and kick all kinds of ass. Cool setup!

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half. On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion. All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

I know it sounds like I am ripping the movie, but I am merely laying out what I perceive as the big pain points some fans have with it. Now we are basically where Episode VII should have started us with only one movie left in this trilogy. They have a lot to clean up storywise and the Skywalker story as of right now basically ended with Luke giving his friends time to escape but still made the whole "Balance of the Force" narrative from the first movies seem shallow. Just my observation. I still mostly dug the new flick.

How do you do the spoiler thing because I have a reply I would like to make
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    How do you do the spoiler thing because I have a reply I would like to make
    use "[ ]" brackets with "spoiler" in between before you start your response, then close with "/spoiler" in brackets as well. Basically:

[spoiler] type your response then close it off with the /spoiler in brackets.

10. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Spoilers:

The Original Trilogy and even Prequel Trilogy set up the Skywalker family as possibly the most important people in the Universe. Anakin was labeled the "chosen one" who would bring balance to the Force, and he did but only after his son helped him redeem himself at the end of Return of the Jedi.

In The Force Awakens as far as we know The Skywalkers and their sacrifice to bring balance to the Force across 6 movies was still in play and Luke was in hiding but he left a map to himself for some odd reason. One could assume it was that he was training to be more of a badass then ever by going to the original Jedi temple and would return to cement the Skywalker legacy. At the same time we see Rey with a mysterious past who could be either a Solo/Kenobi/Skywalker herself and seems to have a connection with Luke's lightsaber and even flashes back to key events in his life when she encounters it. Meanwhile, Han Solo's kid has turned to the tutelage of a Dark Side user that saw the rise and fall of the Empire and could be an ancient evil the predates even the Sith! We establish that Leia is part of the Galactic Republic but still operates a "Resistance" under the table as the First Order scrambles to piece itself back together from the remnants of the Empire. The Resistance is dealt a huge blow with the loss of most of their capital system and fleet, and Rey defeats Kylo but loses Han Solo before traveling to meet Luke who stares at her with great apprehension opening the door for him to come back and kick all kinds of ass. Cool setup!

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half. On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion. All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

I know it sounds like I am ripping the movie, but I am merely laying out what I perceive as the big pain points some fans have with it. Now we are basically where Episode VII should have started us with only one movie left in this trilogy. They have a lot to clean up storywise and the Skywalker story as of right now basically ended with Luke giving his friends time to escape but still made the whole "Balance of the Force" narrative from the first movies seem shallow. Just my observation. I still mostly dug the new flick.
    Also I would just like to point out that the reason I am OK with The Last Jedi is that the next movie can basically pull this all together and make it really cool. In my review I basically said they did some interesting things but it has to pay off in the next movie. Right now I am ok with it but TLJ can be retroactively worse or better depending on how they proceed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Spoilers:

Then The Last Jedi basically comes in and says Rey is not important, the First Order is now the dominant military force in the galaxy once again, the Resistance are now the Rebels again, and Snoke was just a guy in the way of Kylo being the new bad guy so let's cut him in half.

Why should we believe Kylo's word?

On top of all that, Luke tosses his lightsaber over his shoulder in the first scene in a questionable comedic moment and it turns out he just wants to die in seclusion.

Fair criticism, as I see it. That was kind of dumb, but I laughed.

All of the mysteries setup in the Force Awakens mean nothing and The Last Jedi essentially resets the Galaxy to the same nature of the Galactic Civil War. In the end Luke does do some crazy ass powerful crap without leaving his island, but what we see of Luke is not a natural progression of his character from the original movies and even Hamill himself has bitched about it.

What should have been the natural progression? And are we confusing the "natural progression" with what we wanted to see?

We think the Skywalker storyline has ended? Has it?

Not brought up here, but what if the Benicio Del Toro/Finn/Rose plot's payoff is in the third episode?
    Further questions above.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

After all of this I forgot what I was going to say, but wanted to practice this while I can
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

I did it!
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Good grief.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Further questions above.
    Just to clarify, those are not my criticisms personally but a summation of what I have gathered from friends and complaints on the Internet. I am of the mind that this all could very well wrap up nicely in Episode 9 and make The Last Jedi a retroactive great film instead of just the good film I think it is now.

The one question I will answer on my own behalf is the natural progression one. I think part of it is what we wanted to see, but it is also based on what we know to be true of the character. Luke was the definition of hope and morality for 3 movies and redeemed one of the most evil men in the Galaxy through sheer will. Even as a kid I never thought Luke would give up on Vader or turn his back on his friends. What they did in The Last Jedi as atypical of the character as written and expressed in the existing canon, but it came to a nice closure in my opinion and made Luke a more dynamic character. And you know

Force Ghost Luke will probably play a big part moving forward

We are hijacking this thread! Any further discussions should go back to the spoiler thread.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

This movie is going to divide Star Wars fans worse than the prequels. I think that alone makes it a great movie!
    just like north korea.

Some people love kim, some people hate him

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information