Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018 Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    HOF watchers complain about the lack of third basemen in the Hall... so Chipper gets in, Thome gets in, Edgar Martinez comes close but Scott Rolen, a better man at his position than any of them, just barely stays eligible. Go figger.
    Scott Rolen? Really?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The three names mentioned with him all sucked defensively. Edgar was a career DH after a couple of seasons. Chipper got pushed all over the diamond while Thome eventually spent all his time at first. Rolen was a 7-time All-Star, an 8-time gold glover, hit over 300 homers with an .855 OPS and over 2000 hits. I'm not saying he's first-ballot but I do think the voters dissed him.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The three names mentioned with him all sucked defensively. Edgar was a career DH after a couple of seasons. Chipper got pushed all over the diamond while Thome eventually spent all his time at first. Rolen was a 7-time All-Star, an 8-time gold glover, hit over 300 homers with an .855 OPS and over 2000 hits. I'm not saying he's first-ballot but I do think the voters dissed him.
    Of those three names, Rolen was, unequivocally, the worst in offensive production. His batting average was 40 points below Martinez and Thome hit 300 more home runs. Chipper Jones hit over .300 as a switch hitter and had an OPS 80 points higher than Rolen.

Rolen is a fantastic player who is borderline and I think will probably get in. But certainly not over Jones or Thome. Edgar Martinez is at least an argument, but what Martinez did at the plate surpasses anything Rolen did playing third base.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Scott Rolen? Really?
    Well, a precedent has already been set. Guys like Aparicio, Ozzie Smith, Brooks Robinson, Bill Mazeroski didn't get in because they had great bats. it was defense. And considering a very overrated Omar Vizquel got 30% of votes on his first year tells me there is certainly room for Rolen.

I dislike the concept of a DH getting into the HoF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    I dislike the concept of a DH getting into the HoF.
    Why? The DH has been part of the game for 50 years. How is it any different than a closer getting in?

8. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WTE View Post
    Why? The DH has been part of the game for 50 years. How is it any different than a closer getting in?
    Closer's are in every league. DH's are for guys who can't play half the game and are in the easiest position. They don't feel like real players to me, WTE. They just don't.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Closer's are in every league. DH's are for guys who can't play half the game and are in the easiest position. They don't feel like real players to me, WTE. They just don't.
    So all of David Ortiz' clutch hits and home runs throughout his long and distinguished career weren't real?

So all of David Ortiz' clutch hits and home runs throughout his long and distinguished career weren't real?
    The fact that he got to do nothing but bat which kept him fresh, and the fact that it extended his career, does make me think less of him as a player. But they counted.

DH's remind of of Shaq jogging back to play defense after he hit 30.

The fact that he got to do nothing but bat which kept him fresh, and the fact that it extended his career, does make me think less of him as a player. But they counted.

DH's remind of of Shaq jogging back to play defense after he hit 30.
    Election to the Hall should mean you were one of the very few dominating players of your era. Papi and Edgar were one of the most feared hitters of their era and should be in.

Especially when the Hall has been totally diluted the past couple years with selections like Blylevin, Biggio, Santo, etc.

Election to the Hall should mean you were one of the very few dominating players of your era. Papi and Edgar were one of the most feared hitters of their era and should be in.

Especially when the Hall has been totally diluted the past couple years with selections like Blylevin, Biggio, Santo, etc.
    But their dominance is inflated because they didn't have to play the game in totality. Edgar isn't a HoFer to me. Papi is.

Further dilution because of past dilution isn't a great argument.

But their dominance is inflated because they didn't have to play the game in totality. Edgar isn't a HoFer to me. Papi is.

Further dilution because of past dilution isn't a great argument.
    The DH is part of the game. A very big part in fact. So when you say they didn't have to play the game in it's entirety you are wrong.

In addition, I feel you are too young to remember how dangerous Edgar was to face so I don't feel you are qualified to judge him.

15. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

The DH is part of the game. A very big part in fact. So when you say they didn't have to play the game in it's entirety you are wrong.

In addition, I feel you are too young to remember how dangerous Edgar was to face so I don't feel you are qualified to judge him.
    No, I'm not wrong. I said you don't have to play the game in totality. And they don't. Hitters clamor to be a DH because it's easy. Barry Bonds wanted to DH because it would have added years to his career. The grind of being out in the field for hours a game is what players try to avoid because it's hard over the course a career, and that's a portion of the game and father time that DH's got to avoid.

I am thirty years old and and well versed in statistics and researching. I'm just fine.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Stop King. Stop it.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

18. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Stop King. Stop it.
    I think he's confusing football with baseball. 3/4 of the time, they're just standing out there. Except for the pitcher of course.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information