Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos ranked worst offense

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Default Broncos ranked worst offense

Take it for what its worth, figured it would be an interesting share.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Looking at PF on the box scores I'd say there's six teams (possibly more depending on defensive scoring) that are worse than the Broncos. But that's probably just some silly notion that scoring points would reflect well on an offense. I'm sure there's other more important factors like yardage gained and some such stuff that are more important in ranking offensive power.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post
    Looking at PF on the box scores I'd say there's six teams (possibly more depending on defensive scoring) that are worse than the Broncos. But that's probably just some silly notion that scoring points would reflect well on an offense. I'm sure there's other more important factors like yardage gained and some such stuff that are more important in ranking offensive power.
    Just looking at points scored isn't going to give you the whole picture. Football outsiders breaks down stuff like how much of those points were scored by the defense/special teams, or even how many of those points were set up by short fields due to defense and special teams. Or how many of those points were scored on garbage time late in games while getting blown out and the defense is playing prevent.

There's way more to it than just looking at points scored.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It's also weighs more heavily how the team is playing more recently, to give a better picture of how teams are currently playing. That probably is why the broncos are ranked last, since 3 of their best offensive games came in the first 4 weeks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I've never thought to weigh recent games more heavily, but it makes a lot of sense. Definitely gives you more of a sense of how a team is currently playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I've never thought to weigh recent games more heavily, but it makes a lot of sense. Definitely gives you more of a sense of how a team is currently playing.
    There are a bunch of different metrics on that site - you're talking about weighted DVOA, which yes, has us ranked #32 overall. The regular DVOA number reflects the entire season (we're currently #29 there, up from 32 before our win). Breaking it down, we are 32 in offense, 32 in special teams (shocking!) and 7 in defense:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Olivo for president!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Just looking at points scored isn't going to give you the whole picture. Football outsiders breaks down stuff like how much of those points were scored by the defense/special teams, or even how many of those points were set up by short fields due to defense and special teams. Or how many of those points were scored on garbage time late in games while getting blown out and the defense is playing prevent.

There's way more to it than just looking at points scored.
    I figured as much. I was being (mostly) facetious.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The Offensive Line is at the root of all the problems. It was only last week they finally made an adjustment.

They should have been doing that in October and maybe, just maybe, they could have had a few of those losses back.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    The Offensive Line is at the root of all the problems. It was only last week they finally made an adjustment.

They should have been doing that in October and maybe, just maybe, they could have had a few of those losses back.
    Agreed. You either need an elite QB who can overcome the offensive line, or a good offensive line that can help out the QB.

11. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Agreed. You either need an elite QB who can overcome the offensive line, or a good offensive line that can help out the QB.
    I agree 100%, problem is there aren't stats other than QB pressures given, sacks, etc. that let you grade an OLine. PFF tries, but that is pretty subjective as well.

A great QB like PFM or Brady will get rid of the ball quickly as they can read a defense very well and it keeps the OLine numbers looking pretty good, even if the actual players kinda suck. On the flip side, a QB like Dak Prescott looks way better due to their OLine and running game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post

Our QB's have been dreadful under all conditions - there was a stat on Siemian recently showing his stats from a clean pocket and they were terrible. The line is only a part of it, and again, it's been better than it was last year.

What adjustment did they make last week? I know McGovern played over an injured Leary and Stephenson started and played well, though for most of the year (and last year), he's been bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Derek Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Our QB's have been dreadful under all conditions - there was a stat on Siemian recently showing his stats from a clean pocket and they were terrible. The line is only a part of it, and again, it's been better than it was last year.

What adjustment did they make last week? I know McGovern played over an injured Leary and Stephenson started and played well, though for most of the year (and last year), he's been bad.
    When a team has a decent pass rush, Chargers, Dolphins, Chiefs, etc. he has looked terrible. I think it gets in his head that he is about to get clobbered and he panics. If we run the ball and get a lead, it's like a totally different outcome.

When any of these guys press or are getting pounded they are terrible. If they had some somewhat consistent protection they would be much better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    There is little evidence that having a good OL with a mediocre Qb can win you the SB because you run into HOF QBs Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger in the playoffs. And then you lose. Just ask the 2016 Chiefs with Alex Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post

They fired Mike McCoy and shit-canned his passing system. No more 5 and 7 step drops for an OL that can't block anybody. No more constant 3 WR sets for an offense where Trevor will never get time to throw to the #3 read in his progression anyway. They ran the ball more in the red zone.

So, by simplifying the offense to the limited skill set of the players on this roster they had more success running the ball at home against a piss-weak Colts team that is trying to get the #1 overall pick.

This is light years away from being able to compete with the Patriots in the Playoffs though. They need an elite QB.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information