Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Chad Kelly be the answer to the Broncos QB questions?

Supposedly, Josh Allen is the QB the Broncos like best. There are some disturbing issues regarding him:

View photos
    Allen is going to be a significant wild card in the mix. The consistency that evaluators rave about his size/arm/skills is striking. But there are a lot of “project” concerns, too. One evaluator called continued comparisons to Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz “insulting,” noting that Wentz had a mental acuity and “feel” that Allen doesn’t share. Another said Allen will be a top 20 lock largely because of his size and arm strength, similar to what floated Joe Flacco’s stock coming out of Delaware in 2008.

Overall impressions were that Allen has a future as a big downfield passer but tries to fire a cannon too often. He’s unpolished in the short or intermediate game and is more about power than perfect ball placement. But even with that, there is an aspect that everyone agreed could propel Allen into a real debate with Darnold and possibly Rosen at the top of the draft: When he throws in shorts, he has the ability to blow you away. He looks like a monster prospect in workouts because of his arm and ability to move at 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds. One evaluator said it was Allen – and not Darnold – who was the talk of the Manning Passing Academy in 2017.

“When I walked in [to the Manning Passing Academy], the first thing I heard was, ‘The most impressive guy here is Josh Allen.’”

There seems to be little debate that Allen could light a fire in the draft process, particularly if he can qualify for a Senior Bowl appearance and show well. But at least one evaluator had a frightening warning about getting too excited: “JaMarcus Russell looked like an All-Pro in his workout [at LSU], and Allen has some of those same physical abilities. He’s going to be eye-candy for guys who fall for the great workouts.”

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Supposedly, Josh Allen is the QB the Broncos like best.
    from what little i've read about the draft, this terrifies me. . . i'm under the impression that he's one of the least polished or ready of the top prospects. . . are we really going to take on another "three year project" based mostly on raw physical tools, rather than proven football abilities and performance?

"he has a really big arm!"

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    from what little i've read about the draft, this terrifies me. . . i'm under the impression that he's one of the least polished or ready of the top prospects. . . are we really going to take on another "three year project" based mostly on raw physical tools, rather than proven football abilities and performance?

WEll, at this point it's all rumors. And they probably are not set as to who they like best right now anyway. There is always the Senior Bowl, the combine, interviews, and so on. They will get a lot more info before they have to make a decision next April.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

God i hope not....

I think people are selling Allen short. He interviews well and should be able to develop quickly. He’s also a better athlete than Lynch and would have better ability to make plays with his feet if necessary.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    He’s also a better athlete than Lynch and would have better ability to make plays with his feet if necessary.
    big deal. . . do better, mayor!

we gonna need a LOT more than that from you in an election cycle. . .

big deal. . . do better, mayor!

we gonna need a LOT more than that from you in an election cycle. . .
    In true political fashion you edited my quote, and removed the meat of my statement!

Fake news!

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

in 2 years. Chad kelly threw for 6,800 yds and 50 tds with 21 Ints in the toughest conference in football, playing for Ole Miss, who dont even reach top 20 in recruiting. Beat Alabama twice.

in 2 years Darnold threw for 6,873 yds , and 57 tds with 21 Ints in the PAC 12, playing for USC, who are top 5 every single year in recruiting classes. Played against Alabama for a series and flopped after starting QB went down.

So not only did Chad Kelly put up similar numbers with less talent around him, he beat better teams.

Oh and he didnt cost the Broncos a 1st round pick in the top 5.

10. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

If Kelly was all that and a bag of chips he would of gone first round hands down. There is a reason why he fell and its important to remember that when glorifying his college stats. If he can overcome those issues great, but he will have to earn it just like every other QB who works to be the starter in Denver. If Denver drafts a top 5 guy and Kelly can beat him? Awesome, good problem for Denver to have in my book.

Kelly should be at least giving the chance. If Siemian continues to falter. But at least he snapped the Broncos losing streak.
    May Day and Spring Fever!

Kelly should be given a chance but shouldn't be handed the reins.

Have to at the very least bring in a vet that is truly capable of leading this team to the playoffs to compete with Kelly, Paxton and any rookie they draft.

If Kelly wins, great but can't go into the season saying my 7th round pick with 0 snaps against a pro defense will be my guy. Can't do that.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    If Kelly was all that and a bag of chips he would of gone first round hands down. There is a reason why he fell and its important to remember that when glorifying his college stats. If he can overcome those issues great, but he will have to earn it just like every other QB who works to be the starter in Denver. If Denver drafts a top 5 guy and Kelly can beat him? Awesome, good problem for Denver to have in my book.
    he would have. He got injured at his pro day.

And had off the field issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Kelly should be given a chance but shouldn't be handed the reins.

Have to at the very least bring in a vet that is truly capable of leading this team to the playoffs to compete with Kelly, Paxton and any rookie they draft.

If Kelly wins, great but can't go into the season saying my 7th round pick with 0 snaps against a pro defense will be my guy. Can't do that.
    THAT is what fans don't seem to understand. It's just flat insane from NFL standards. Nobody would risk their job on a totally unproven 7th round pick where you have no idea whether he can even play at all in the NFL. Some guys who look good just flat can't play. Especially at QB. Exhibit "A" Paxton Lynch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

If you've ever heard a interview with Kelly or followed his social media accounts you would see why he lasted until the last pick of the draft. Add that to the issues he had in college. The kid is VERY immature and not mentally ready to viably compete at this time. Here's to hoping he grows up quick and makes this an interesting competition next season because I truly feel he has the skills to do so.

BTW Rick, Paxton, Kelly, Veteran FA and rookie draft pick means that the Broncos would have 4 Qbs. One of those guys has got to go.

It better not be the veteran FA - which is what happened when they scrambled around to find a QB after Osweiler left, settled on Butt-Fumbler who turned out to be a total bust and didn't make the team, forcing them to go with Trevor Siemian.

That leaves 3 QBs for 2 slots.

And this assumes they dump Trevor which is by no means certain. I don't think that either the team or Trevor wants to enter this off-season with another QB competition between Trevor and some other vet.

Elway keeping VJ around for another year probably means he's going to insist that Paxton Lynch remain on the roster for another year and they'll try and "develop" him. The fans won't like it at all, but Elway is too stubborn to give up on this guy.

That means VET, plus Paxton, Plus rookie make the team. No room for Chad Kelly in that scenario.

Best case scenario, they make Chad Kelly duel it out with Paxton to become the #3 QB behind a vet and a new draft pick, while ditching both Trevor and letting Osweiler walk.

We all know how that competition will turn out. Kelly with make him eat dust and we'll be rid of Paxton.

I think the fans really will riot if Kelly shows in the preseason like Kyle Sloter did and they just cut him because Elway wants to keep Paxton one more year because they drafted him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information