Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elway won’t make staff changes until after the season

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Dammit! I'm agreeing with BroncoJoe again. And it's way too early in the day to start drinking.

"You can't fire the players. You can't change over your entire roster just like that, but you can change the coach, and you can hope that is enough to fix teams." - Mark Evans. But there's no point doing that in the middle of the season.

There are no good coaching candidates now. After the season will be plenty soon enough. After all, it's theoretically possible that VJ will somehow turn things around and win a couple of games! We don't think so, but it could happen. If it did, then Elway would gladly keep him.

I'm not worried though cause monkeys will fly sooner.
    Elway might give him another season anyhow. I, personally, think the blowouts are too much, and I don't think he'll get another year. Stranger things have happened though.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Speaking of which, a POS move is firing a perfectly good and experienced OC who turned down other opportunities to come here midseason and then not seeing a single improvement in that unit.
    As a community service, I'm going to translate that into interest.

It was a "POS" move is firing Mike McCoy because he passed up all kinds of great other jobs to come here, and then they fired him in the middle of the season, but the sucky offense continued to suck.

Objection: Assumes facts not in evidence!

Mike McCoy is not a great OC. He consistently put Trevor, Brock, and Paxton in a 5 or 7 step drops and the crappy T's in single technique blocking on the outside with no help or insufficient help.

That didn't work. The Offense still sucks because they suck. But, that does not mean that they shouldn't fire McCoy. He sucks too and his offensive scheme did not fit the player personnel.

Next year we could get Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. If not then a top 5 QB pick. Then the trajectory starts moving upward for this team. Things will definitely get better than this. And Elway is never going to rest until he gets the franchise QB he wants. And that ain't Paxton.

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Elway might give him another season anyhow. I, personally, think the blowouts are too much, and I don't think he'll get another year. Stranger things have happened though.
    He would love to do that, but how can he? He has to have some indication that things are getting better - just the margin of defeat has to go down as a minimum.

I'm not saying if the Broncos go 3-13 VJ he couldn't keep his job, it's all about the "kicking and screaming." So far there's been none.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Broncos are so cost-conscious now, they will operate on that basis moving forward. Winning is 2d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

So you don't think that either DT, Sanders, or CJ are here next year? I could see one or two of them leaving but I don't think there's any way all three are gone. I'd actually be very surprised if Emmanuel isn't retained.
    Emmanuel posted a picture of him running down the sideline and the tag line said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone". He deleted it moments after it was posted.

If, for some reason, John just wanted to free up the cap space I don't think he'd be worried about equal value. That being said though, I don't see both DT and ES being gone next year. DT is, IMO, the only one of those two that might not be here. Why would you get rid of the one guy that consistently performs and works his ass off (ES)?
    They explained on the fan that there is no one in the world that would trade for his contract. Not a single team would make the move, just too expensive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I cannot imagine Joseph being here after this kind of Season. No way. The next two games will not be kind.

IMO CJ is as good as gone and I absolutely don't see DT here next Season IF he hasn't been hampered by an undisclosed injury. I think hes done either way.

Broncos need to Draft not one but TWO QBs (one if anyone actually believes Kelly can be something). Draft all offense and purge this Roster. It is that bad.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

Next year we could get Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins. If not then a top 5 QB pick. Then the trajectory starts moving upward for this team. Things will definitely get better than this. And Elway is never going to rest until he gets the franchise QB he wants. And that ain't Paxton.
    Smith is nothing more than a band aide, same as Bradford or Eli. If we were to get any of those 3 we should still be thinking a young QB very very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Emmanuel posted a picture of him running down the sideline and the tag line said, "You'll miss me when I'm gone". He deleted it moments after it was posted.
    He might really want to leave, but if he doesn't he might be back. I think he will be back if the Broncos want to pay him $11m to be their #1 WR in place of DT. Otherwise no. D.T. is certainly gone. No chance they will pay him $12m next year. THey will need the money from Aqib, Sanders, CJ and D.T. if they intend to get a FA QB.

And this year's FA QB class will be the best ever. The 49ers will have the #2 pick, but are expected to keep Jimmy Garapolo who has balled-out for them, so the Broncos could conceivably move up from #4 to #2 to get a top QB prospect.

But, they could also try and throw money at Kirk Cousins. Alternatively the Vikings can't keep both Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater. One of them will be unhappy. Either would look good in orange & blue.

Then there's Alex Smith. He's looking rather sucky right now, but he looked like an MVP candidate for a while. While the Chiefs are in a state of collapse from 5-1 to 6-6 that is only excelled by the Broncos flop.

And he's due $20m next year and they have Pat Mahomes earning $4m a year. So, he'll be a FA.

It's looking more like Eli Manning and Drew Brees will stay with their teams. Brees is an UFA, but he only earned $19m this year and they are winning their division. They can't franchise him because he has a clause in his contract prohibiting that. So, they'd have to pay him just a ginormous long term deal, and he's 39 years old. But he's still got that 104 passer rating, 19TDs and only 6 INTs. He's still elite and right now he's the #2 QB in the NFL behind only Tom Brady. They will probably fret and re-sign him but they haven't done it yet and time is ticking. He wants to stay in NO, but they are estimated to have only $30m under the cap for 2018 and it will be difficult to get the contract done if he earns north of $20m which he is definitely worth.

So, it's barely possible he would be on the market. If so, then Elway will use every leverage he can to get him here, but I doubt Brees would be interested playing behind Denver's crappy line, with zero playmakers on offense, and for a team losing DT, Sanders and CJ. (They are going to have to cut massive salary if they are going to add a $20m+ QB. And Brees would easily get $25m a year. He's not going to take a "team friendly deal" to come here, that much is absolutely certain. He never did in NO (unlike Brady).

More sense to re-build through the draft and admit your QB is going to suck while learning. If it's the right guy, then in 2019 they could be competitive for a championship again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Smith is nothing more than a band aide, same as Bradford or Eli. If we were to get any of those 3 we should still be thinking a young QB very very soon.
    We could do both of course and probably will. If Elway is convinced that Paxton isn't really that QB of the future, then it makes sense to draft one and he will have the opportunity to get the #2 QB in the NFL draft if he wants. In fact, Cleveland might be willing to trade out of the #1 pick if Denver were willing to pay the price to move up from #4 (too big a price IMO).

The 49ers would almost certainly be open to a trade if Garapolo continues to play great for them and they should have the #2 pick.

Eli will probably stay in New York now that they've fired both GM Jerry Reese and Ben McAdoo. It's a lot easier to find a new GM than a new Franchise QB. They will almost certainly draft a QB, and that is the chief competition for the Broncos.

The problem is paying $20m+ for a stop-gap QB. But, they will definitely have the cap room to do it once they get through their salary cap cuts of DT, Aqib and CJ. That alone will net $28.5m in cap savings. If they cut Sanders that's another $11m.

I didn't mention Sam Bradford since he's washed up. I don't know if he can be considered a band-aid as much as a bad case of jock-itch at this point.
    Last edited by Cugel; 12-08-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information