Thread: Internet Connectivity

Default Internet Connectivity

It amazes me that some companies out there only rely on a single internet company.

One of the internet companies in my area was down today, this is a reoccurring theme.

Me personally, I currently work remotely for a company in Vermont until I can move out there next summer. I have cable as my main line, and if they go down I also have DSL.

I keep seeing people complain that they have no way to conduct business because the internet is down. How can these people NOT have a second line for their business? For a regular house hold, sure, that is overkill, but if you HAVE to rely on connectivity how can you not have more than 1 source??

The 2 big providers in Denver both stink. Comcast and Century Link. They'd probably both be down at the same time.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

The company I worked for previously always had 2 lines, but towards the end before they went out of business they were searching for ways to cut costs, and they decided that getting rid of the second line was 1 of the costs to cut.

Internet went down probably 2 or 3 times after than before I ended up leaving the company when they closed the doors.

They would ask me, the internet is down what can we do...I would be like, nothing...wait for it to come back up...you decided we didn't need the redundancy...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It amazes me that some companies out there only rely on a single internet company.

One of the internet companies in my area was down today, this is a reoccurring theme.

Me personally, I currently work remotely for a company in Vermont until I can move out there next summer. I have cable as my main line, and if they go down I also have DSL.

I keep seeing people complain that they have no way to conduct business because the internet is down. How can these people NOT have a second line for their business? For a regular house hold, sure, that is overkill, but if you HAVE to rely on connectivity how can you not have more than 1 source??
    Until a few years ago, we only had one option, which was ATT T1s. I'm guessing about three years ago, ATT Fiber/Ethernet service became available, and shortly after that, the cable company offered business grade fiber. Now, there is a third player.

It's possible some companies are rural and don't have multiple business grade options. Others decide it's not worth the cost and will risk an outage, I suppose.

It is very rural where we are.

We have 3 providers total.

Charter Spectrum (Cable), CenturyLink (DSL), and Colorado Central Telecom (Wireless).

The DSL is the most stable, but slowest. The wireless reaches the most customers but is most expensive. Little more stable than Cable but slower. Is faster than DSL.

The cable is by far the fastest but has the most outages.

I use Charter as my main line, and use DSL because it is pretty cheap as a piece of mind fall back as I am sure my boss wouldn't be happy with the excuse that I could get no work down because my internet was down.

If you have a business in town, I just can't see not have a secondary line. Even if it is just the cheapest option available. Slow is better than being dead in the water.

Hell, a company I worked for years ago, they were a tiny little company but even they had a backup. Their backup is just dialup...but it works...

I have these little mobile hotspot things that look like hockey pucks kinda. They allow for 8gb a month at 4g LTE speeds....They are our backups.

I take them home and I do no have to pay for internet at home. It is quite nice.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

8. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The national backbone of the internet is routed through pipes owned by a very few phone-related companies. It doesn't matter who your ISP is, if those go down, you're down. However, two separate networks is not a bad idea for major businesses.

I remember 1998 and cable fiber internet was just starting in our city and I had an argument with a day trader that our being offline at the cable company was costing him millions. I told him, first, the service was still in beta and only an idiot would trust their market trading to a beta service and, secondly, I doubted the service being out was costing him millions since it was Christmas Eve and most of the markets were closed.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    The 2 big providers in Denver both stink. Comcast and Century Link. They'd probably both be down at the same time.
    GEM, this makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    GEM, this makes me sad.
    Joe, I love you, I just don't love your company. I can't keep a solid wifi connection to save my life. I have to reset my modem a couple times a night. Then when I called in to get a new one, the jerk on the phone said i could go pick one up at a Comcast store. Now why should I have to go to a store and pick one up? Ship one out. They agreed and I never got the damn modem, checked my account, there was never one shipped. It's just really bad service and customer service.

At work, we go down at least twice a week.

It's just not stable like it used to be and the customer service is pretty bad usually.

I'm sorry. I still love you though!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Joe, I love you, I just don't love your company. I can't keep a solid wifi connection to save my life. I have to reset my modem a couple times a night. Then when I called in to get a new one, the jerk on the phone said i could go pick one up at a Comcast store. Now why should I have to go to a store and pick one up? Ship one out. They agreed and I never got the damn modem, checked my account, there was never one shipped. It's just really bad service and customer service.

At work, we go down at least twice a week.

It's just not stable like it used to be and the customer service is pretty bad usually.

I'm sorry. I still love you though!
    Check your PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

A comcast rep lied to me when i set up a plan with them three months ago.
    Told me i would free HBO for year.

Turns out i get my HBO cut off last week, call in asking wtf?

Service rep lied to me, comcast telling me i can get SHOWTIME free for a year instead. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Check your PM.
    Gracias, buddy!

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information