Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to go from here

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Where to go from here

Aside from the obvious (Getting rid of VJ) how would you like to move forward in terms of personnel on the field. Ive seen people say various things in different threads but if you had to really think about the entire picture, what would you want? What moves would you make? Do you stand pat with everything? Do you overhaul everything? This is what one Bronco fan brought up in our Bronco group on FB, agree/disagree? What would you do differently?

Just looked at Overthecap.com at the Broncos 2018 payroll and John ELWAY has some tough decisions to make come January 2018. We have 32 million in cap room and we can stretch it to 45 million with strategic cuts like Watson, Cj Anderson all the CLOWN SHOW behind center, and middle of the road players. But the tough decisions are Talib 11 million, resigning Roby and either a pay cut on DT AND or trade can get us to 50 million.I say gut the entire Offense.

1) All 3 Qbs gotta go
    2) Rb CJ Anderson and Jamaal Charles gone.
    3) TE All TE expect Jake Butt gone
    4) Wr DT pay cut, Latimer Flower and THUMBS McKenzie gotta go
    5) OLINE Watson, Garcia, Stephenson, Cyrus K gotta go

Free Agency Focus on RT, LG, TE and a Vet RB, ILB

DRAFT: QB with top 5 pick either Mayfield or Rosen, RB in 2nd round and Olineman in 3 and 4th rounds then WR, PR /KR and Nose tackle

FWIW, over the cap lists Broncos effective cap space as 27 million for 2018. I'm not sure what the difference between the 32 and 27 represents, other than they say "effective cap space" is how much money teams will have left after they sign their top 51 players. Maybe they are including the rookie class budget in the "effective" number.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

QB
    OL
    TE
    WR
    All new QBs
    Trade DT/Sanders and Siemien if there is a suitor
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Simien and Oz are gone, PL might be gone.
    CJ will be gone as the Broncos won't pay him the wage again, Miami will.
    OL will be enhanced with another high pick, probably second round as they will probably take a QB in the first at this point. How did McGovern do Sunday?
    Latimer might stay. No-one else will pay him big, he is good on ST.
    Sanders will stay, DT might be gone or pay cut.
    Talib will be gone, Roby will take over. Can't pay that money to 3 CBs.
    All TEs except Butt are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Simien and Oz are gone, PL might be gone.
    CJ will be gone as the Broncos won't pay him the wage again, Miami will.
    OL will be enhanced with another high pick, probably second round as they will probably take a QB in the first at this point. How did McGovern do Sunday?
    Latimer might stay. No-one else will pay him big, he is good on ST.
    Sanders will stay, DT might be gone or pay cut.
    Talib will be gone, Roby will take over. Can't pay that money to 3 CBs.
    All TEs except Butt are gone.
    Oz is gone. PL should be gone, he really doesn't bring anything to the table. In contrast, if they pick up a quality vet (via trade or some FA miracle) I would keep Siemian as the backup. He's smart, and humble, and would be an asset during camp and in-season game prep. I'd see him doing his job and not being a distraction, can't see PL being effective in that role and I really don't want him starting.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Oz is gone. PL should be gone, he really doesn't bring anything to the table. In contrast, if they pick up a quality vet (via trade or some FA miracle) I would keep Siemian as the backup. He's smart, and humble, and would be an asset during camp and in-season game prep. I'd see him doing his job and not being a distraction, can't see PL being effective in that role and I really don't want him starting.
    Siemian is probably playing for that job now. The way he played last year and the first few games this year and even in relief of Lynch, he appeared well suited. The way he's played in his last five or so starts, he's been very, very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Siemian is probably playing for that job now. The way he played last year and the first few games this year and even in relief of Lynch, he appeared well suited. The way he's played in his last five or so starts, he's been very, very bad.
    He's a C student that aced a quiz, and is now being expected to be the guy who blows the curve with straight A's.

8. The Following User High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

1.) I honestly don't know what happens to the QB depth chart.

I think Siemian profiles as a nice backup. Hard worker, respected by teammates, has shown flashes of productivity - obviously if he keeps throwing out dumpster fire performances then things could change, but I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a #2. Lynch isn't likely to get cut in the offseason and his trade value is probably too low to move him, so he'll likely be here for camp too. Then I assume we want to give Chad Kelly a look - plus I expect us to at minimum draft a QB or acquire one in free agency...

So in that scenario maybe we have 4 QBs in camp - Lynch, Siemian, Kelly and new guy.

2.) Jamaal Charles should be gone. CJ's $4.5 mil cap number is just high enough to where he's in jeopardy of being cut, but just low enough to where it's not a foregone conclusion. We could do worse than coming into next year with CJ, Booker and Henderson.

3.) TE is a massive gaping hole and need. Hopefully Butt can provide some value there but we should be looking to grab another TE in the draft of FA.

4.) WR is another major pivot point... DT's 2018 cap number is more reasonable than his 2019 number, so we might be able to scratch one more year out of him. Sanders will actually make more next year than DT. I kind of think we have too much money wrapped up in WRs as a holdover from the Manning era - it might be wise to try to move one of these guys to bolster the OL.

5.) O-line - Stephenson and Watson can't be run out of town fast enough. We should probably ax both of our left guards at this point. Bolles better get his ass in the weight room all off season. Leary needs to stay healthy next year. And I don't care what anybody says - Paradis is average, we could upgrade from him (though he's not the main problem) if the right situation comes along.

Main offseason priorities:

1.) QB
    2.) QB
    3.) QB
    4.) RT
    5.) LG

Personally, if we don’t fall in love with one of the top qb’s I’d be happy going after someone like Cousins and using that top 5 pick on a playmaker

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Personally, if we don’t fall in love with one of the top qb’s I’d be happy going after someone like Cousins and using that top 5 pick on a playmaker
    and by "playmaker" you mean "monster offensive tackle". . . right?

13. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

How did McGovern do at starting guard for the game?

Would be interesting to see if he could take over at RG next year so Leary can move back to left.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
    2. Bradley Chubb, EDGE, N.C. State
    3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
    4. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
    5. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame ???

Guy makes pancakes for a living.

Leaves the question of LT/RT open, but getting a LT/RT leaves the question of LG open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    1.) I honestly don't know what happens to the QB depth chart.

I think Siemian profiles as a nice backup. Hard worker, respected by teammates, has shown flashes of productivity - obviously if he keeps throwing out dumpster fire performances then things could change, but I wouldn't mind keeping him around as a #2. Lynch isn't likely to get cut in the offseason and his trade value is probably too low to move him, so he'll likely be here for camp too. Then I assume we want to give Chad Kelly a look - plus I expect us to at minimum draft a QB or acquire one in free agency...

So in that scenario maybe we have 4 QBs in camp - Lynch, Siemian, Kelly and new guy.

2.) Jamaal Charles should be gone. CJ's $4.5 mil cap number is just high enough to where he's in jeopardy of being cut, but just low enough to where it's not a foregone conclusion. We could do worse than coming into next year with CJ, Booker and Henderson.

3.) TE is a massive gaping hole and need. Hopefully Butt can provide some value there but we should be looking to grab another TE in the draft of FA.

4.) WR is another major pivot point... DT's 2018 cap number is more reasonable than his 2019 number, so we might be able to scratch one more year out of him. Sanders will actually make more next year than DT. I kind of think we have too much money wrapped up in WRs as a holdover from the Manning era - it might be wise to try to move one of these guys to bolster the OL.

5.) O-line - Stephenson and Watson can't be run out of town fast enough. We should probably ax both of our left guards at this point. Bolles better get his ass in the weight room all off season. Leary needs to stay healthy next year. And I don't care what anybody says - Paradis is average, we could upgrade from him (though he's not the main problem) if the right situation comes along.

Main offseason priorities:

1.) QB
    2.) QB
    3.) QB
    4.) RT
    5.) LG
    I believe Leary has been the only lone Linemen worth keeping.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

17. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Bolles isn’t going anywhere and I’m not sure we want to spent a top 5 pick on a RT or OG. We can get one of those at the top of the 2nd. I mean a 5tech, OLB, DB, or someone on offense who knows how to find the end zone.

19. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Where to go from here.....a nap sounds good.

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information