Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who would you hire to be the next HC of the Denver Broncos?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Here is a coach that is getting some print and starting to climb.

Mike Vrabel, defensive coordinator, Houston Texans
    "Great football coach," Texans head coach Bill O'Brien said of Vrabel in January, via the Houston Chronicle. "Communicates well, very knowledgeable of the game."

Vrabel attracted some head-coaching interest from the Los Angeles Rams in this past cycle, but was eventually promoted from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator in Houston, a nod to how much he had to do with Houston's spectacular defense last year. With Vrabel still just 42, it seems like the former Pro Bowl linebacker (and three-time Super Bowl champ) is biding his time for the right job. Remember, he opted not to be Chip Kelly's defensive coordinator in San Francisco back in 2016 -- something that, to me, shows he is patient for the ideal opportunity and not just the first one.

While he'll immediately be associated with the horde of Belichick castaways that currently populate the coaching landscape, Vrabel also has a 14-year NFL playing career (some of which was spent under Cowher) to draw from.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...nators-in-2017

For those thinking that this franchise just needs an "offensive minded" head coach, that is a bit naive about the reality of being a head coach. Belichick is a defensive coach and he has had one of the best offenses for close to 20 years.

Tony Dungy was a defensive minded coach and with Manning had one of the more dynamic offenses in the history of the game.

There really aren't many coaches out there that are young that are jumping off the page. David Shaw would be an interesting hire.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ron Dayne

Topscribe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I don't care if it's an "offensive" or "defensive" coach. A good head coach shouldn't be overly involved on either side of the ball. Hire good coordinators to do their job, and let the HC just oversee the ship.

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I think Northman would be a great hire. He's a no bullshit kind of guy.
    I am really leery of hiring another Patriots guy though, you saw what happened the last time.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

If they want incompetent play or Coaching i am available for the League minimums.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I am really leery of hiring another Patriots guy though, you saw what happened the last time.
    Chaz putting up career numbers in this thread.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post

For those thinking that this franchise just needs an "offensive minded" head coach, that is a bit naive about the reality of being a head coach. Belichick is a defensive coach and he has had one of the best offenses for close to 20 years.

Tony Dungy was a defensive minded coach and with Manning had one of the more dynamic offenses in the history of the game.
    well, shit. . . as long as we can find one of the best QBs of all time, then hell yea to a defensive coach. . . how about wink martindale?

I just hope the next coaching hire makes sense. Changing out a Super Bowl coaching staff in full 2 years later was bad enough, but if you were going to do it Shanahan was the top candidate available. From the start this seemed like an overly aggressive gamble.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 12-05-2017 at 02:49 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Just hire somebody with credentials and a history of success...ie not Vance Joseph.

14. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I knew that was coming.

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Jim Schwartz or Jim Harbaugh for me.

Or Gruden, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I just hope the next coaching hire makes sense. Changing out a Super Bowl coaching staff in full 2 years later was bad enough, but if you were going to do it Shanahan was the top candidate available. From the start this seemed like an overly aggressive gamble.
    From the start this seems like a recipe for disaster:

1st year head coach.
    Inexperienced and uncertain QB situation.
    No talent on offense.
    Horrid OL.
    First time special teams coach, and nobody else on the coaching staff who has special teams experience, so no way to fire the guy when STs are beyond horrible.
    Mike McCoy not being able to coach the offense into any semblance of life forcing them to fire him mid season.

I'd say next time they need to get an established coach who can come in and stop the bleeding, just like with John Fox.

I know Elway would love to not have to fire his head coach after 1 season, but 3-13 and a blowout every time will probably force his hand.

Virtually no former Patriots assistant coaches have had much success in the NFL as head coaches. There's a long line of failures going back over 15 years. Remember Romeo Crennel? Charlie Weiss? Eric Mangini? Ouch!

Bill O'Brien is a total hot-head who keeps feuding with his QBs. Its only a matter of time before he blows up completely.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Wink? Seriously?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Wink? Seriously?
    That was my thought as well. I'd say: hire an experienced coach who knows what he's doing and can right the ship quickly like John Fox did. No more experiments with first year head coaches who will struggle to learn! Not with such a lackluster roster devoid of offensive talent.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information