Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lets go over the highest paid QBs in the NFL again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

so, what you're all saying is that it's best to draft a stud QB who's able to play at a high level quickly?

brilliant! i'm glad we had this discussion. . .

in all seriousness, the more i think about it, the more i think we're likely to approach it the way the bears did this year. . . sign a mid-tier vet who can be your transition QB for a year if need be while you groom a highly-drafted rook. . . think more like a case keenum, tyrod taylor, sam bradford, AJ mccarron type. . . with lynch looking fragile as well as lost, i just don't think we can or will pass on the opportunity to take a blue chip QB with our projected top ten pick. . . you don't get the chance that often, i expect JFE to jump on it. . .

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    so, what you're all saying is that it's best to draft a stud QB who's able to play at a high level quickly?

in all seriousness, the more i think about it, the more i think we're likely to approach it the way the bears did this year. . . sign a mid-tier vet who can be your transition QB for a year if need be while you groom a highly-drafted rook. . . think more like a case keenum, tyrod taylor, sam bradford, AJ mccarron type. . . with lynch looking fragile as well as lost, i just don't think we can or will pass on the opportunity to take a blue chip QB with our projected top ten pick. . . you don't get the chance that often, i expect JFE to jump on it. . .
    Like, say, a Jay Cutler?

Next years' UFAs.

Drew Brees
    Kirk Cousins
    Sam Bradford
    Jay Cutler
    Josh McCown
    Drew Stanton
    Chad Henne
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Derek Anderson
    Mark Sanchez
    Case Keenum
    Matt Moore
    Scott Tolzien
    Teddy Bridgewater
    Geno Smith
    Kellen Clemens
    Tyler Bray
    Chase Daniel
    Joe Webb
    Blaine Gabbert
    Jimmy Garoppolo
    Austin Davis
    E.J. Manuel
    Brock Osweiler
    Brandon Weeden
    T.J. Yates
    Matt Barkley
    David Fales
    Tom Savage

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

JFE was in full on panic mode when he drafted Lynch, and our QB situation is about 10x more dire now... He's going to move heaven and earth to bring in a QB at the top of the depth chart this offseason...

That said - Mike Glennon was a total waste of money for Chicago this year. Plus I think it's actually pretty likely that both Siemian and Lynch are still on the team going into camp next year. So we should either draft the guy and start him ASAP, or we should sign a free agent who can be the starter... We don't need to bring in anyone who is basically on par with Siemian as an above average #2, below average #1. Let him be the bridge if we need one.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

#gargleforDarnold
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

I've been saying for a while that we need to "overspend" to get a QB - get a free agent AND get one high in the draft. Let it sort itself out in training camp. Tyrod Taylor was my guess for the FA, actually, assuming he's released (and it sure seems like he will be).

The Bears did this and so far haven't had success, though maybe Trubisky will be good (anyone could have told them that Glennon wasn't, but that's another story). The Eagles did this with Bradford (and Daniel) and then Wentz and it's worked out for them. Can't put all our eggs in one basket but we need to quickly improve that position, whatever it takes.

9. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

4 of the 5 top 5 have never reached a SB, 2 have never won a playoff game & 1 has yet reached the playoffs (although he would've if it weren't for his season ending injury last year when the Raiders were running away with the division).
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Here is the situation as I see it in regards to that list and the dubious choices the Broncos have. If Elway goes out and lands a high priced FA like a Brees or Cousins, then the Broncos will not realistically be able to improve the OL AND have a championship defense. Cannot happen.

So that means they would need to be lucky enough to DRAFT a rookie. A rookie like a Wentz (who is under a rookie cap) and is great. Then, Elway will be able to solidify the line...AND keep key people on defense.

That is what needs to happen. Bottom line for me is I have developed an authentic hatred for the hard cap. The parity the NFL wants is actually a joke.

Look around the league. How many teams are in similar scenarios as the Broncos? A whole lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Here is the situation as I see it in regards to that list and the dubious choices the Broncos have. If Elway goes out and lands a high priced FA like a Brees or Cousins, then the Broncos will not realistically be able to improve the OL AND have a championship defense. Cannot happen.

So that means they would need to be lucky enough to DRAFT a rookie. A rookie like a Wentz (who is under a rookie cap) and is great. Then, Elway will be able to solidify the line...AND keep key people on defense.

That is what needs to happen. Bottom line for me is I have developed an authentic hatred for the hard cap. The parity the NFL wants is actually a joke.

Look around the league. How many teams are in similar scenarios as the Broncos? A whole lot of them.
    It prevents a team like the Cowboys or other big market, rich teams from buying championships.

13. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Let's play that out. If the Broncos could sign Cousins, Brees or Rivers for $25.6 a year (doubtful, he's expected to bring 30+, but with creative bonus numbers, let's say they do). That means QB & Von will be $50 million. That's $10 million higher than the highest combo you mentioned (Steelers) and about $15 million higher than the rest.

It's not no big deal with our LB is paid like Big Ben and then to expect to sign a free agent QB. Then, on top of that, the Broncos have 4 defensive players in the top 54 for '18 ($58 million), which is over double the average number of players teams have in the top 54 highest paid players. They make up for it by only having two players in the top 50 highest paid offensive players (DT and ES both near the bottom of that list).

Bottom line, the Broncos have a lot of money tied up in a few defensive players, and if you look at those four plus TD and ES, you are now at $70 million. Then add in $25 for a free agent QB, and you are bumping up against $100 million on 7 players.

That will leave about $70 million for the other 46 players (rookies and veterans). The median minimum salary on the roster will likely be 750k next year.

So, that's about $35 million if all 46 players were paid the league minimum. That's leaves you $35 million to cover any of the 46 players on the roster that aren't at the league minimum such as: Leary 9 mil, Roby 8.5, Watson 7.5 (if cut will cost 2.7 mil), Marshall 7, Stewart 6, CJ 4.5, Peko 4.2, McManus 3.5, Ray 2.9
    Ok, so let's play this out further, we had $35 million for those 46 players, and above I've listed out the top 9 for next year. That totals $53.1 million. Back out the $750k minimum salary we already accounted for, and you are left with $46 million. If you cut Watson, you are at $42 million, or $7 million over the cap.

Now, you are $7 million over, and still have a significant number of those 38 remaining players that are going to make more than $750k. Let's say only 1/3 of them are over the league minimum and only by $500k. That's about another $7 million or so. So, now you are $14 million in the hole.

Yes, you can cut guys like Talib, Watson and Charles, but at a certain point you are going to need to bring in vets to replace them. It's not like we have a right tackle waiting in the wings, so we are probably going to need to sign a right tackle for Watson like money (he wasn't brought in as a bottom dollar vet).

Bottom line, the Broncos aren't going to be able to pay a LB and QB top tier QB dollars and also fill the other holes that exist in the team, and not only that, would need to create more holes in order to afford any "win now" free agent QB.
    Yeap...

Makes you tighten your jaws doesn't it? I honestly think the biggest reason NFL ratings are down is the hard cap that hamstrings franchises and forces them to field pure shit on the field.

I know I sound like I am pouting, and that is because I am. The NFL pretty much sucks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    It prevents a team like the Cowboys or other big market, rich teams from buying championships.
    I am not saying a cap isnt good. Its the hard cap that bothers me. I am sick of the scenario punishing franchises for drafting and developing players. When i say punishing franchises, I am referring to the fans.

A softer cap would prevent franchises like the cowboys etc from buying championships, but will allow franchises to pay their key players without it counting against the cap. That means a situation that would MOTIVATE players to stay with the teams that drafted them.

Not for nothing, but the Broncos were a very successful franhcise before the cap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    You mean like compiling the 7th best winning percentage of all time and the 4th best home field advantage since 1990? That type of winning organization?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Freak’n-a boss.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post

Point being there were other key factors to all of those teams.

There are always key factors to teams winning the SB. Even when JE finally got it done the Broncos had a top 5 defense and great ST's. You can try to crunch numbers all day long but you cant ignore the fact that out of the past SB's there is still only a handful of names that pop up on the regular. When it gets to winning the SB it takes a certain about of luck, talent, staying healthy, good defense, good ST's, and at least a well balanced offense. But it has also shown dating back to the 80's that it takes an elite QB to lead that team, at least if you plan on winning multiple championships.

The only problem with what we seem to be seeing now with the QB position is that there dont seem to be any younger QB's that quite stand out like the Brady's, Bree's, or Rodgers. So once guys like Brady are gone its going to be interesting to see who the next "great" QB or QB's will be. My guess is as it stands now we will see more random teams winning SB's because there wont be any real difference makers at the QB position anymore. Dont know if that is bad or good for the league but i doubt we see anything like we see with Brady currently.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    There are always key factors to teams winning the SB. Even when JE finally got it done the Broncos had a top 5 defense and great ST's. You can try to crunch numbers all day long but you cant ignore the fact that out of the past SB's there is still only a handful of names that pop up on the regular. When it gets to winning the SB it takes a certain about of luck, talent, staying healthy, good defense, good ST's, and at least a well balanced offense. But it has also shown dating back to the 80's that it takes an elite QB to lead that team, at least if you plan on winning multiple championships.

The only problem with what we seem to be seeing now with the QB position is that there dont seem to be any younger QB's that quite stand out like the Brady's, Bree's, or Rodgers. So once guys like Brady are gone its going to be interesting to see who the next "great" QB or QB's will be. My guess is as it stands now we will see more random teams winning SB's because there wont be any real difference makers at the QB position anymore. Dont know if that is bad or good for the league but i doubt we see anything like we see with Brady currently.
    Well, Wentz certainly does stand out. A few others, but bye and large it is the veterans. I was just asking which one of those top 10 salary QBs have even been to a SB since being paid top dollar?

Even when they did win it, what were the other factors that contributed? Like the Packers seven years ago. Look at their defensive stats that year. They were ranked in the top 5 and I seem to remember them only giving up 15 points per game. Then, Rodgers got paid and they have not been able to field a defense that good since. Is that Rodgers salary a factor?

How about since Brees got paid. They are having a solid season this year, but it has been a while. Not sure it is a coincidence that they happen to be far more balanced this year than they have been in years. BTW, not for nothing, but they did have the 6th rushing offense in 2009 when they did win it. That is a different issue.

How about Flacco? They win it in 2012, they pay him big money. They had to get rid of 7 players. They have been ordinary since. Kirk Cousins is getting paid top dollar. He is great right? They have a losing record this year? I think they do.

Then there are the other factors. Little subtle ones, like Roethlisberger having a 22 rating in that super bowl against the Seahawks and the Steelers having the number one defense in the league.

How about Brady's first 3 SBs, where it was the Pats defenses that were dominant. Especially the one that shut down the greatest show on turf. Brady, in those years they won it, he did not pass for 3000 yards or 30TDs.

Plus, Brady is really not a factor since he is the 17th highest paid QB. I think Osweiler gets paid more than him.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information