Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lets go over the highest paid QBs in the NFL again.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

There are 28 players on the current roster that have cap hits of $790,000 or less in 2017. I don't see why that would be different next year.

I just remember back to the Peyton Manning signing and remember the screaming about how they could never sign any other free agent ever again and they'd be over the cap and could never have any wiggle room. Then Elway signed four massive free agents the next season.

I have faith the math would work.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    There are 28 players on the current roster that have cap hits of $790,000 or less in 2017. I don't see why that would be different next year.

I just remember back to the Peyton Manning signing and remember the screaming about how they could never sign any other free agent ever again and they'd be over the cap and could never have any wiggle room. Then Elway signed four massive free agents the next season.

I have faith the math would work.
    Mathematics isn't faith. If you want to back into it from the $26 million cap space that OTC says we will have (not sure where you came up with $35, but even do it from there), then have a go. $4 million for rookies, that's $22 left. $25 for a QB. Now you are $3 million in the hole. Who are you cutting?

When the Broncos signed a $19 million Manning, they didn't have a $22 million LB. Think about the Von/Elway fight and the Broncos were also trying to sign Brock to $15 a year. After signing Von, they were scrambling to just get the rest of their squad in under the cap. How would they have managed that with $15 million to Brock and $19 (cap back then) to Von? They couldn't have. Now, you are suggesting that they can have $45-50 million tied up in a QB and LB and just have faith in the math.

4. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

I think CJ is gone (or back at very reduced price. probably gone.)

Watson gone or brought back at half that salary.

Stevenson gone.

Talib possibly gone.

That is a decent amount of cash freed up.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Mathematics isn't faith. If you want to back into it from the $26 million cap space that OTC says we will have (not sure where you came up with $35, but even do it from there), then have a go. $4 million for rookies, that's $22 left. $25 for a QB. Now you are $3 million in the hole. Who are you cutting?

When the Broncos signed a $19 million Manning, they didn't have a $22 million LB. Think about the Von/Elway fight and the Broncos were also trying to sign Brock to $15 a year. After signing Von, they were scrambling to just get the rest of their squad in under the cap. How would they have managed that with $15 million to Brock and $19 (cap back then) to Von? They couldn't have. Now, you are suggesting that they can have $45-50 million tied up in a QB and LB and just have faith in the math.

Cap isn’t straight math. Just because a guy makes x per year doesn’t mean his cap hit is x.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Kirk Cousins is gonna look great in orange.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think CJ is gone (or back at very reduced price. probably gone.)

Watson gone or brought back at half that salary.

Stevenson gone.

Talib possibly gone.

That is a decent amount of cash freed up.
    Who's the RT and backup tackles? We don't have young guys capable of stepping in. There is a reason the Broncos paid Watson $8 million a year, and that's because it was, and still is, a major hole.

If both CJ and Charles are let go, then they likely need to sign a vet backup. Maybe they let Talib go, but that then leaves a major hole in the secondary as Talib, Roby and Harris are on the field a lot right now. I guess the next two games with his suspension will give us a preview.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Cap isn’t straight math. Just because a guy makes x per year doesn’t mean his cap hit is x.
    Which is why the numbers I posted were their cap hits for 2018 (short of renegotiating) not their salaries. For instance, Marshall's salary next year is $5 million, but I listed him at $7 million, which is what his cap hit ($5 million salary + $2 million of his $10 million signing bonus) will be in '18.

There is no free lunch. You can't have two guys taking up $50 million of cap space, five more taking up the next $50 million and then field a decent team with what's left.

A lot of people keep talking about all the holes that need to be filled, but now we are making a contention that we can just cut our #1 CB, RT, RB and others to make room for a FA QB and not even worry about the holes we had before cutting those three players, not to mention now also filling the hole at CB and RT.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Let me try to clarify then:

When the Broncos signed Manning, the argument was that they couldn't afford any free agents with his contract on the books. The next year they signed Wes Welker and the next year they signed DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, Louis Vasquez and T.J. Ward.

Then the argument was that if they signed Thomas, they couldn't sign Miller. They signed both.

Now, the argument is they can't sign a quarterback because of Miller, and I don't think that's true. So, my argument is that I have faith in the math of the front office if they feel like signing a quarterback is the way forward.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

We'll see what that secondary looks like without him these next two games and then we'll see a lot less people saying let Talib go.

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    We'll see what that secondary looks like without him these next two games and then we'll see a lot less people saying let Talib go.
    He's a piece of shit (actually, that's not fair to shit), but he's our piece of shit and we are better with him (when he's not suspended.)

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

He's a piece of shit (actually, that's not fair to shit), but he's our piece of shit and we are better with him (when he's not suspended.)
    You're casting a lot of stones from your glass house this week.

You're casting a lot of stones from your glass house this week.
    I haven't ripped off any chains this week. I'm secure behind my silica panels.

Who's the RT and backup tackles? We don't have young guys capable of stepping in. There is a reason the Broncos paid Watson $8 million a year, and that's because it was, and still is, a major hole.

If both CJ and Charles are let go, then they likely need to sign a vet backup. Maybe they let Talib go, but that then leaves a major hole in the secondary as Talib, Roby and Harris are on the field a lot right now. I guess the next two games with his suspension will give us a preview.

Which is why the numbers I posted were their cap hits for 2018 (short of renegotiating) not their salaries. For instance, Marshall's salary next year is $5 million, but I listed him at $7 million, which is what his cap hit ($5 million salary + $2 million of his $10 million signing bonus) will be in '18.

There is no free lunch. You can't have two guys taking up $50 million of cap space, five more taking up the next $50 million and then field a decent team with what's left.

A lot of people keep talking about all the holes that need to be filled, but now we are making a contention that we can just cut our #1 CB, RT, RB and others to make room for a FA QB and not even worry about the holes we had before cutting those three players, not to mention now also filling the hole at CB and RT.
    They should move back a bit and draft a LT and move Bolles to right.

I would cut Watson unless he is willing to restructure. If he takes a cut, keep him and let him compete at RG or backup OT.

If Talib goes, move back into first using the extra picks from moving back from our top 5 pick and select a CB.

This is assuming Cousins was the guy...

If it is a Bradford/Smith/Brees kind of guy you need to use that top 5 on a QB.

17. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Which is almost impossible when any one player's contract does not allow a franchise to do it.

That is the point and it reflects in that list.
    Ok, I gotcha now, I missed that point as you failed to include it in your original argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Broncos defense - Talib - Peko = Losing.

But we were losing anyways. #mathematics

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Broncos defense - Talib - Peko = Losing.

But we were losing anyways. #mathematics
    I have #faith that we will win, even if it's bad for the draft.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information