Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: John Elway becoming known as a coach killer....

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Wrong thread. —>
    Thread about a horrible job of reporting. //looks around\\ "yep, right thread."

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Manning covered many deficiencies. In 2015, even he couldn't operate behind that horrific OLine.

It ended beautifully, but the team most responsible for the demise of Peyton Manning was the Denver Broncos, by not affording him the protection a 38 year old QB needs. Manning started taking a beating in 2014.

I firmly believe this and i believe the OLine is more than half the reason the offense is so putrid.
    Agreed on all counts.

The Broncos have consistently missed on their Oline picks, and I would say other than Leary and Vasquz, they have missed on their FA pickups. You have to have both a special QB and special scheme to continuously overcome bad line play. The Broncos have had neither the last few years (Manning actually performed pretty amazingly considering the bad line).

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Does not really matter. That is how the league is PERCEIVING Elway at this point. Many are. Regardless of whether it is true or not.
    Sure, according to this guy in bleacher report...

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Manning covered many deficiencies. In 2015, even he couldn't operate behind that horrific OLine.

It ended beautifully, but the team most responsible for the demise of Peyton Manning was the Denver Broncos, by not affording him the protection a 38 year old QB needs. Manning started taking a beating in 2014.

I firmly believe this and i believe the OLine is more than half the reason the offense is so putrid.
    Agreed on all counts.

The Broncos have consistently missed on their Oline picks, and I would say other than Leary and Vasquz, they have missed on their FA pickups. You have to have both a special QB and special scheme to continuously overcome bad line play. The Broncos have had neither the last few years (Manning actually performed pretty amazingly considering the bad line).
    Happy thanksgiving
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Sure, according to this guy in bleacher report...
    According to my sources, who the Broncos draft is actually decided by Elway's wife
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Team officials across the sport believe Elway is using Joseph and McCoy as scapegoats for his poor quarterback moves. Trevor Siemian has been awful. Brock Osweiler has been putrid and, according to ESPN's Dan Graziano, will get benched for Paxton Lynch. And there's no indication Lynch will be any good, either.

The common thread tying the three together: all were Elway decisions.

It's rare when you can trace a franchise's successes and failures so clearly to one man. But in the same way Denver's recent Super Bowl appearances can be traced to Elway, the struggles of the team can also be traced to him. Heading into the Thanksgiving weekend, Denver is 3-7 and in last place in the AFC West. That isn't because it is soft but because it lacks continuity.

Coaches around the NFL with whom I spoke believe more sideline changes are on the way for the Broncos. In other words, Joseph isn't safe.

As respected as he is as a player and executive, Elway is gaining a reputation as someone who is rash and impatient with his coaching staffs, someone who sees coaches as disposable. And someone who isn't taking full responsibility for his personnel decisions.
    You have to take a look at what actually happened. This begins with John Elway's first hiring decision when he came in to run the organization, after the death spiral that was the McMoron era, Fox & Elway. They ultimately disagreed in 2014 about how to win the SB with Peyton.

Who was right? Well, Fox left and went off to coach the Bears. Elway hired Kubiak, won 12 games with a crippled Peyton Manning. Beat Tom Brady and the Patriots (for the 2nd time in 3 years) in the AFC Championship and then won the SB.

What did Fox do in Chicago? Let us peruse the Chicago Tribune (one of the major national newspapers) and see just how the crafty Foxy has done:

Don’t overthink it, Bears: Fire John Fox now and make Vic Fangio the interim coach
    Perhaps you missed this significant piece of science news reportedly recently:

Astronomers saw a potentially habitable planet hurtling towards us, and I’m thinking, if it’s already inhabited, then maybe someone there knows why John Fox remains coach of the Bears.

Because I can’t find one earthly reason for it.

Hasn’t Fox earned a permanent siesta? A lull forever?

If his team can embarrass itself against the evil, dreaded rival Packers and then the coach can stand up there a week later and say his team goes to sleep for parts of games, then isn’t that a wakeup call for a new coach?

Geez, the alarm has been resounding since last year. But ownership and management apparently are as somnambulant between games as Fox’s players are during them. Stop the stupid.

Fox’s teams are 12-30 overall and 3-13 in the NFC North. He has been in last place forever. The Bears are battling the 49ers, Giants, Browns, Broncos and Colts for one of the top three picks in the draft. Again.

Fox cannot be allowed to come back to coach the final year of his contract in 2018. Everybody knows it. So, why wait?

What is being accomplished right now? Mitch Trubisky has shown growth, which is the most important part of this season, but it has come in fits and spurts and with the head coach seeming to smother a quarterback and offensive coordinator who want to let the engine out. Maybe it’s Trubisky’s fault his progress is non-linear. Maybe’s it’s the conservative head coach’s. A change at the top might help clarify things, and besides, what else do you have to lose?

If winning games is important, and Fox lets us know this is a production-based business, then Fox is failing. He likes to note how close the losses are, but look, another coach can lose close games and maybe speed along Trubisky’s growth curve.

What’s more, the change is simple. Promote defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to interim coach. He has deserved a chance. He coaches the best part of this roster. You might as well take a look at the guy for this price in the last six weeks because, guess what, hate to break it to the McCaskeys, the Bears aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year, same as every year for the last 30.

Fangio can continue to coordinate the defense or he can promote secondary coach Ed Donatell to the position. Donatell’s unit is the most improved on the field, give or take a Marcus Cooper return.

I wrote last week about making this change and I’m writing it again because it feels more relevant. Fox forces it to feel more relevant with each loss, from the worst challenge of all-time to hiring one of the worst kickers of all-time after firing the kicker who remains the franchise’s all-time leading scorer. Right now, that’s three losses in a row and seven of 10 this season in a production-based business.

It will cost money to pay Fox to go away. It will cost even more money to bring in someone competent next season and to pay for the new coach’s handpicked assistants. That’s the price of doing business. The Bears will have to throw money at the problem because they haven’t thrown brains at it.

The Bears have never fired a coach in midseason. We hear that a lot. Let me ask you something: How has that worked out for them in the Super Bowl era? That’s some management-level self-scouting.

Remember, just because the Bears have always done something a particular way doesn’t make it right.

In fact, that’s exactly the reason the Bears should do the opposite.
    So much for the "Elway done wrong by me!" contingent of John Fox supporters.

Eway 1 Critics 0

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    According to my sources, who the Broncos draft is actually decided by Elway's wife
    A raiders cheerleader? :agasht:

10. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Team officials across the sport believe Elway is using Joseph and McCoy as scapegoats for his poor quarterback moves. Trevor Siemian has been awful. Brock Osweiler has been putrid and, according to ESPN's Dan Graziano, will get benched for Paxton Lynch. And there's no indication Lynch will be any good, either.

The common thread tying the three together: all were Elway decisions.

It's rare when you can trace a franchise's successes and failures so clearly to one man. But in the same way Denver's recent Super Bowl appearances can be traced to Elway, the struggles of the team can also be traced to him. Heading into the Thanksgiving weekend, Denver is 3-7 and in last place in the AFC West. That isn't because it is soft but because it lacks continuity.

Coaches around the NFL with whom I spoke believe more sideline changes are on the way for the Broncos. In other words, Joseph isn't safe.

As respected as he is as a player and executive, Elway is gaining a reputation as someone who is rash and impatient with his coaching staffs, someone who sees coaches as disposable. And someone who isn't taking full responsibility for his personnel decisions.
    You have to take a look at what actually happened. This begins with John Elway's first hiring decision when he came in to run the organization, after the death spiral that was the McMoron era, Fox & Elway. They ultimately disagreed in 2014 about how to win the SB with Peyton.

Who was right? Well, Fox left and went off to coach the Bears. Elway hired Kubiak, won 12 games with a crippled Peyton Manning. Beat Tom Brady and the Patriots (for the 2nd time in 3 years) in the AFC Championship and then won the SB.

What did Fox do in Chicago? Let us peruse the Chicago Tribune (one of the major national newspapers) and see just how the crafty Foxy has done:

Don’t overthink it, Bears: Fire John Fox now and make Vic Fangio the interim coach
    Perhaps you missed this significant piece of science news reportedly recently:

Astronomers saw a potentially habitable planet hurtling towards us, and I’m thinking, if it’s already inhabited, then maybe someone there knows why John Fox remains coach of the Bears.

Because I can’t find one earthly reason for it.

Hasn’t Fox earned a permanent siesta? A lull forever?

If his team can embarrass itself against the evil, dreaded rival Packers and then the coach can stand up there a week later and say his team goes to sleep for parts of games, then isn’t that a wakeup call for a new coach?

Geez, the alarm has been resounding since last year. But ownership and management apparently are as somnambulant between games as Fox’s players are during them. Stop the stupid.

Fox’s teams are 12-30 overall and 3-13 in the NFC North. He has been in last place forever. The Bears are battling the 49ers, Giants, Browns, Broncos and Colts for one of the top three picks in the draft. Again.

Fox cannot be allowed to come back to coach the final year of his contract in 2018. Everybody knows it. So, why wait?

What is being accomplished right now? Mitch Trubisky has shown growth, which is the most important part of this season, but it has come in fits and spurts and with the head coach seeming to smother a quarterback and offensive coordinator who want to let the engine out. Maybe it’s Trubisky’s fault his progress is non-linear. Maybe’s it’s the conservative head coach’s. A change at the top might help clarify things, and besides, what else do you have to lose?

If winning games is important, and Fox lets us know this is a production-based business, then Fox is failing. He likes to note how close the losses are, but look, another coach can lose close games and maybe speed along Trubisky’s growth curve.

What’s more, the change is simple. Promote defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to interim coach. He has deserved a chance. He coaches the best part of this roster. You might as well take a look at the guy for this price in the last six weeks because, guess what, hate to break it to the McCaskeys, the Bears aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year, same as every year for the last 30.

Fangio can continue to coordinate the defense or he can promote secondary coach Ed Donatell to the position. Donatell’s unit is the most improved on the field, give or take a Marcus Cooper return.

I wrote last week about making this change and I’m writing it again because it feels more relevant. Fox forces it to feel more relevant with each loss, from the worst challenge of all-time to hiring one of the worst kickers of all-time after firing the kicker who remains the franchise’s all-time leading scorer. Right now, that’s three losses in a row and seven of 10 this season in a production-based business.

It will cost money to pay Fox to go away. It will cost even more money to bring in someone competent next season and to pay for the new coach’s handpicked assistants. That’s the price of doing business. The Bears will have to throw money at the problem because they haven’t thrown brains at it.

The Bears have never fired a coach in midseason. We hear that a lot. Let me ask you something: How has that worked out for them in the Super Bowl era? That’s some management-level self-scouting.

Remember, just because the Bears have always done something a particular way doesn’t make it right.

In fact, that’s exactly the reason the Bears should do the opposite.
    So much for the "Elway done wrong by me!" contingent of John Fox supporters.

Eway 1 Critics 0
    Fox's 'record' in Denver was what it was because of PFM. Other than those years and the string of early success in Carolina, his W-L is pedestrian.

Make no mistake, he is a genius compared to VJ.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Thread about a horrible job of reporting. //looks around\\ "yep, right thread."
    P&R material outside of P&R, the next infraction will be reported.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

OK. Let's take Gary Kubiak. Gary won the SB in 2016 but Manning retired, they lost DeMarcus Ware (due to back injury), they lost Danny Trevathan and Malik Jackson off their defense. The rebuilt OL with Russell Okung that was supposed to be improved in 2016 was worse instead. They couldn't run the ball at all.

Meanwhile, what was Elway's relationship with Kubiak? Kubiak wanted to retire after the Super Bowl, but Elway talked him into coming back for 2016. It didn't go well. His health compromised, Kubiak was ineffective and the team struggled.

And from Elway's perspective he wanted to keep Kubiak, but replace some of his offensive coaches who weren't doing the job, particularly OC Rick Dennison, and OL coach Clancey Barone. Well, can anybody in America, even Clancey Barone himself, make a case for Clancey Barone keeping his job? Not anybody who saw the OL performance in 2016.

Elway 2 Critics 0

Elway did NOT want Kubiak to retire in 2017. He wanted Kubiak to return. It was Kubiak who approached Elway with his decision not to return. Part of his reason was that he felt it was unfair to fire his assistants, while he Kubiak kept his job. He felt that the man at the top is responsible. Their failure is his failure. So, if anybody is going to be blamed, it should be him. Elway didn't want to fire Kubiak, and he was going to insist upon firing Dennison, Barone and the others.

He hired Vance Joseph. Now, if he fired Vance Joseph after about 1/2 a season, because the team was losing then he could be justly called a "coach killer." No matter how bad it looks now, they should not fire Vance Joseph in the middle of the season. In fact, Elway is going to do everything he can to keep VJ as the coach this off season.

He knows too much change is not beneficial for the team. But, they can't just keep losing every week either. Something has to give at some point.

And I think that if they lose out, and especially if the team appears flat and lifeless, and keeps getting blown out, the pressure to fire Joseph will become overwhelming.

And if that happens, then all the pressure and blame will be on Elway. He selected this guy! He hired all of the players who are sucking out there, and all the coaches who are sucking out there!

So, what is the one big point against Elway?

#1 - He's made bad drafting mistakes!

#2 - His coaching hires and fires have been rapid. But, so far, successful.

Since Elway does not want to fire Vance Joseph, these critics will have to wait and see if that happens before they call Elway a "coach killer" because he got rid of one head coach and replaced him with another who immediately won the SB.

If he made a mistake with VJ he will move to correct it. That won't be good, but it will still be a hell of a lot better than leaving the wrong man in the job the way the Rockies always did for 15 years with Crony Dan O'Dowd.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Got off his jock, Cugel, Elway is on a good run of shit decisions.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Fox's 'record' in Denver was what it was because of PFM. Other than those years and the string of early success in Carolina, his W-L is pedestrian.

Make no mistake, he is a genius compared to VJ.
    I'll take that as a vote of support for "Elway 1 Critics 0"

I think Elway has been proven right on the central points of that article.

#1 - Should Elway have hired and fired Fox when he did? As for hire Fox, Fox came in and immediately made the Broncos into a professionally run organization after the child-like incompetence and turmoil of the McMoron era. They got Peyton and went to the SB.

Elway concluded that they needed to recreate the Seahawks defense if they were to win the SB. Fox apparently disagreed. They parted ways. Elway picked Kubiak who won the SB.

Fox won nothing in Chicago and now the local paper is openly calling for him to be fired immediately! Immediately! They have their torches and pitch-forks out and want to burn down the castle right away!

Because, get this, everybody is aware that Fox is going to be fired at the end of the season. It's just that they can't wait the extra month and 1/2 they have to have his head off right now!

That is not the look of success actually.

Got off his jock, Cugel, Elway is on a good run of shit decisions.
    Yes, but those shit decisions have ZERO to do with the central line of attack in that article. Apparently you didn't read my answer. Elway is subject to criticism because:

#1 - He picked Brock Osweiler instead of Russell Wilson. Everybody suspected this is because "Brock is tall." The original Giraffe fetish. Against this argument: nobody picked Wilson until the 3rd round. Every scouting department in the NFL screwed up by not taking him. Twice.

#2 - He drafted Paxton instead of Dak Prescott. Well nobody, including the Cowboys wanted Prescott over Lynch. Nobody was willing to draft Prescott in the first 3 rounds. It's just another fluke chance that went against the Broncos.

You can fault him for hiring Vance Joseph. So far that is looking like a mistake. Should he have fired McCoy when he did? Well, did anybody actually watch the offensive offensive performance this season? Getting fired was less bad than what should have happened to him.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33tkoyw.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	11469

He's also made some other bad drafting decisions. That has hurt the team. But, lots of GMs make mistakes in the draft.

Those mistakes are amplified because Elway has failed to find a starting caliber QB and this wasted two seasons in which he might have competed for a SB because he had a Super Bowl caliber defense.

But, most of the teams in the NFL don't have a Super Bowl caliber Qb. There are about 12 of those guys in the NFL and 32 teams!

Elway is going to have to fail for another 4 years before they are going to get rid of him. Somehow I don't think that is going to happen.

P&R material outside of P&R, the next infraction will be reported.
    Jade fails at reading comprehension, so it must be a day that ends in "y."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Jade fails at reading comprehension, so it must be a day that ends in "y."
    Personal attack.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information