Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 12 (Raiders week)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Agreed. We probably will be top 5 in the draft, if he doesn't show enough we will probably need to take a QB as this will be the best opportunity to do so.
    That's kind of the biggest reason for my impatience here. We're likely going to own a high draft pick and have our choice of a top QB and this is one of the best QB classes in the last decade or so (Since the QB class with big ben, eli, rivers, ect...) If we're going to snag one this is probably going to be the best chance of snagging a franchise QB.

If Paxton grows and shows enough to assume he can be the guy, then we can use that pick on a DE or trade back and gain a lot of ammo to fix the line, if not, it's very important we get a QB this year and not wait through another year of Paxton.

Like I said, I'm all for him starting the rest of the year, this season is done, we need to know what he's got so we can make a definitive choice.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    your basing that on the assumption Musgrave doesn't slide help over to the RT I guess, since kubiak and McCoy never would

I recall what he did to von last year, do you?, as I recall the first series von sacked carr, and Musgrave put in six olinement to eliminate von
    Musgrave knows that defense, that's a benefit to us. Hopefully he makes better adjustments than McCoy has been shown to do so far.

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    that's usually what happens to qbs deemed a 2-3 year project...right?
    To play devils advocate here though. How many QB's deemed 2-3 year projects can you name that have ever made it as a QB with their original team? How many of them were drafted with a first round pick.

A QB who isn't ready, and may or may not ever be ready, it amazes me that he managed to be a first round draft pick.

4. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    That's kind of the biggest reason for my impatience here. We're likely going to own a high draft pick and have our choice of a top QB and this is one of the best QB classes in the last decade or so (Since the QB class with big ben, eli, rivers, ect...) If we're going to snag one this is probably going to be the best chance of snagging a franchise QB.

If Paxton grows and shows enough to assume he can be the guy, then we can use that pick on a DE or trade back and gain a lot of ammo to fix the line, if not, it's very important we get a QB this year and not wait through another year of Paxton.

Like I said, I'm all for him starting the rest of the year, this season is done, we need to know what he's got so we can make a definitive choice.
    You've said this a few times, and I've never really seen any reports like that. In fact, I've seen the opposite (that this isn't a very good draft for QB's).

Is this your opinion, or is there an article or something you can point me to? I'm not doubting you, as I don't really follow college football outside of Colorado, and it's somewhat contrary to what I've read.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You've said this a few times, and I've never really seen any reports like that. In fact, I've seen the opposite (that this isn't a very good draft for QB's).

Is this your opinion, or is there an article or something you can point me to? I'm not doubting you, as I don't really follow college football outside of Colorado, and it's somewhat contrary to what I've read.
    MO knows.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    MO knows.
    Well, where the hell is he? I need answers!

It's partially my opinion, as for reports, it depends on who you are listening to some praise it, some don't. There are about 6 QB's projected to go in the top 20 this year. It's not a deep draft, but those 6 QBs are in my opinion really good prospects. Time will tell if it's really as good as it seems, but I like a lot of the guys projected to go in the first round this year.

You've got Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Falk, Rudolph, Mayfield and Jackson all likely to go early. With that many solid prospects, and the possibility of a top 5 or better pick, it's a good year to draft. That's my opinion I don't claim to be an infallible football genius (I have been wrong more than i've been right this season sadly) but I just really like this draft.

10. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Eventually you have to stop clinging to the "2-3 year project" and start calling a spade a spade.
    Agreed, maybe after say 2 or 3 years? Wouldn't you think that if you have a 2-3 year project, that calling him a bust after one season is a little silly?

We'll see what we have Sunday.

I'm all for him starting the rest of the year. But I would hope by that point if he still hasn't shown anything more than we've seen so far we can wash our hands of this.

If we give him another year next year, this team is going to be a hot mess in 2018 just like it was this year.

He needs to either step his ass up and QB this football team, or we need to sign, trade or draft someone who will. I don't have have a lot of patience for this crap.

We've basically suffered through 3 years of terrible QB'ing. Yes we won the Superbowl one of those three years, but enough is enough. I made excuses for and pinned my hopes on Trevor, I'm not going to do the same thing again for another year with Paxton. He's either got it or he doesn't. Finish the year out and figure out which one it is.
    As I said earlier in this thread or another, while we could see a rocky start since he's had very limited reps over the last 13 weeks or so, if he starts the rest of the year, then between that and the offseason/training camp, we will be in a very good position to know whether he's boom or bust.

From the front office perspective, they need to see enough between now and the end of the year to decide if they need to get another QB in the offseason.

All of that doesn't change the fact that it's ridiculous to call him a bust after 2.5 games of playing time.

To play devils advocate here though. How many QB's deemed 2-3 year projects can you name that have ever made it as a QB with their original team? How many of them were drafted with a first round pick.

A QB who isn't ready, and may or may not ever be ready, it amazes me that he managed to be a first round draft pick.
    How many QBs drafted in the first round ever make it with their original team? That's a good starting point, because you know it's going to be a subset of that.

Unless things change dramatically this college season, everything I've read is that this is one of the weakest QB classes (certainly at the top, in terms of can't miss prospects) in the last decade or longer.

If Denver winds up in the top 5 they certainly draft a QB. If they're not in the top 5 it means Lynch played much better than we all thought. Starting him at this point is a no brainer.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    If Denver winds up in the top 5 they certainly draft a QB. If they're not in the top 5 it means Lynch played much better than we all thought. Starting him at this point is a no brainer.
    With a top 5 pick I'd rather see them swap firsts and throw in a 2nd to trade for a quality vet QB with a good 5-6 years left in the tank. Now, I have no idea which QB that would be or which team would make that trade, it's just the scenario I would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    With a top 5 pick I'd rather see them swap firsts and throw in a 2nd to trade for a quality vet QB with a good 5-6 years left in the tank. Now, I have no idea which QB that would be or which team would make that trade, it's just the scenario I would prefer.
    I might agree if I knew which QB Denver ends up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Unless things change dramatically this college season, everything I've read is that this is one of the weakest QB classes (certainly at the top, in terms of can't miss prospects) in the last decade or longer.
    Before the season, this was considered one of the best QB classes. Now that they’ve played, some of the shine is off

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information