Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Allbright: Broncos quietly shopped Demaryius Thomas at trade deadline

I know if I were a young QB like Paxton Lynch or a draft pick next year, I'd hope to hell the Broncos would move on from DT. I'd much rather have an inexperienced young player who didn't make too much money as opposed to a guy who is a team captain and played in two Superbowls.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I know if I were a young QB like Paxton Lynch or a draft pick next year, I'd hope to hell the Broncos would move on from DT. I'd much rather have an inexperienced young player who didn't make too much money as opposed to a guy who is a team captain and played in two Superbowls.
    My sarcasm detector is going off the charts

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    My sarcasm detector is going off the charts
    Good. THat means I'm getting better at it.

We have a talent dearth on offense. Dumping our best offensive player no matter what his shortcomings are seems....stupid?

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    He doesn't turn 30 til Christmas Day; how much younger you wanna go, HS? If we're ever going to develop a young QB, one thing we need in addition to a line that can protect him while he's scanning the field and reading coverage is quality RECEIVERS who can catch his passes.

Bottom line on young QBs is that if you ever want one to develop into an NFL calibre passer, you better surround him with NFL calibre blocking, running and receiving, because whatever he's got while LEARNING the position at the pro level is what he'll be accustomed to as a finished product. If he spends his first five years developing bad habits and reflexes to compensate for the waiver wire rejects impersonating his teammates, those will be hard to shake if/when he finally gets a decent supporting cast later. I remain convinced that's a whole lot of our problem with Oz, Siemian, Lynch and however many successors they'll have.
    I like DT but he is gone next year. I argued that he was making too much money to cut him in 2018, but apparently they feel that nearly $7m cap hit isn't too much to get rid of his $12M salary.

They are going to dump his salary and Talib's too, and that will save $24 M on next years' roster.

They are going to be rebuilding with a rookie QB after a 5-11 or 6-10 or even 4-12 season so there is no point keeping a bunch of high priced veterans who can here to 'win now' when this team is going to suck for a couple of years while their QB learns. It took Peyton Manning a couple of years to learn, there's no way it will take the new rookie less than that. The only high priced veteran they will have from this roster in 3 years time will be Von Miller.

So, this team might be ready to compete again for a championship in 2019, IF they get a Franchise QB and he develops before then. Otherwise not.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We have a talent dearth on offense. Dumping our best offensive player no matter what his shortcomings are seems....stupid?
    hard to argue with this. . . it really highlights our desperate need to develop some young talent on offense, though. . . sanders isn't any younger, and they're the only weapons we have. . . how many more years can we get by leaning on those two? every time another one of our high picks (latimer, schofield, sambrailo, ball, osweiler, hillman, probably lynch and heurmann, and counting) fails, it opens up another hole in the depth chart. . . i really hope we can get something out of carlos henderson and J-booty next year. . . would also be nice to see #33 some time this season. . . maybe traylor can fill one of the TE spots, he looked solid last week. . . we really ain't got shit for playmakers, though. . . hopefully musgrave can squeeze a little more production out of what's on hand, but it will be a challenge with our QB and RT situation. . .

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I like DT but he is gone next year. I argued that he was making too much money to cut him in 2018, but apparently they feel that nearly $7m cap hit isn't too much to get rid of his $12M salary.

They are going to dump his salary and Talib's too, and that will save $24 M on next years' roster.

They are going to be rebuilding with a rookie QB after a 5-11 or 6-10 or even 4-12 season so there is no point keeping a bunch of high priced veterans who can here to 'win now' when this team is going to suck for a couple of years while their QB learns. It took Peyton Manning a couple of years to learn, there's no way it will take the new rookie less than that. The only high priced veteran they will have from this roster in 3 years time will be Von Miller.

So, this team might be ready to compete again for a championship in 2019, IF they get a Franchise QB and he develops before then. Otherwise not.
    OR you make a play for a Vet QB so you can still try to "win now". I absolutely hate the idea of trying to develop a QB while we have an elite defense. Try to get Cousins, Smith, even Rivers, while drafting O-line. Anyone is better than what we have at RT right now.

I agree I think it's a waste to have top tier receivers who aren't being used to their maximum potential because of our inept QB's, but if we're going to keep them.. don't waste their talent on scrub QB's like ours.

OR you make a play for a Vet QB so you can still try to "win now". I absolutely hate the idea of trying to develop a QB while we have an elite defense. Try to get Cousins, Smith, even Rivers, while drafting O-line. Anyone is better than what we have at RT right now.

I agree I think it's a waste to have top tier receivers who aren't being used to their maximum potential because of our inept QB's, but if we're going to keep them.. don't waste their talent on scrub QB's like ours.
    The defense is no longer "elite" that ship sailed after back to back 50 point blowout losses.

They still have a lot of talented defenders but they have lost Hall of Famer DeMarcus Ware, and Shane Ray is a nice player but no HOF. They lost Malik Jackson and since then have had no interior pass rush presence. Teams can double Von Miller every play because there's zero interior pressure on the pocket.

They lost Danny Trevathan who was the only ILB who could cover TEs one on one. He played up against Gronk and covered him in the championship game against the Patriots.

They lost TJ Ward. They were quick to say that they wouldn't miss him, but then there's S's saying that they "lacked coordination" in the back end. That's their way of saying that TJ was a leader on the field and they miss him.

They will lose Aqib Talib next year because he's earning $12M. No way he stays on a rebuilding team.

Do we even need to go over all the offensive deficiencies other than QB? That they have no pass-catching TE who causes mismatches since they let Julius Thomas walk. Maybe Jake Butt, but he'll be a rookie.

No good slot WR since Wes Welker. No RB catches passes out of the backfield the way Knowshon Moreno did in 2013 catching over 60 passes. His production hasn't been replaced either.

Denver has gotten a lot worse on both offense and defense since 2015.

This "re-boot not a re-build" and "we've got an elite defense" crap has got to stop! They are what their record says they are: A 5-11 Rebuilding Team that will need to start over from scratch, and rebuild for several crappy years with a rookie QB.

The pathetic effort to deny that they need to rebuild led to the whole Trevor Siemian fiasco!

Why did they think Trevor would be good enough? Because they thought that they could effectively run the ball, get Trevor to make conservative decisions "Captain Checkdown" and not turn the ball over, and they could win like in 2015.

Only that is a delusion! About 1 team every 10 years wins with great defense and no offense, and they NEVER repeat! '85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2015 Broncos. None ever repeated.

So, lightning was never going to strike twice in the same place! Hopes of winning another championship without an elite QB were always doomed despite all the fan and media hype.

In retrospect, they should have begun the rebuilding effort in 2016 when Peyton retired. Their SB window closed at that moment.

Dude was dropping 5 yard hook passes Sunday. My issue is he's had a nagging injury that's lasted for over 2+ years, it isn't going to go away.

Give me young, healthy, fast slot receivers that aren't afraid to get hit running through the middle.

At this point, I'd rather have talented blocking, than receiving
    No argument on that last part, but I've waited long enough for the former than I'm not exactly holding my breath "at this point." Bolles and Leary are good starts though; no more waiting till after a dozen teams drafted an OT and then taking what's left, or cheaping out on the "top" FA OT available for <$2M/yr. We're just getting a harsh reminder that our line's been so bad so long even premium investments can't fix it in a single year.

As for DT though, I don't believe it's the same injury, it's a series of different nagging injuries that come from being the leading receiver on a team that has little else on offense. Sanders has gotten messed up more than once over the past few seasons, too, but if you're defending against the Broncos you know you'll spend most of the game trying to stop passes to one of those two guys, because after the line lets CJ get tackled for a loss twice we either throw to one of our two Pro Bowlers or someone like Fowler and Sunshine. I mean, I like Fowler and Sunshine, but they're no ones primary receivers.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Yeah nothing like a young inexperienced quarterback going into.games trying to.figure it out and having a (groupI) of rookies selected on day 3 who are all slot guy's playing on the outside also trying to figure it out.... Sounds like a disaster imo.... We have our 3rd and 4th string guys in Carlos Henderson and McKenzie imo who will be ready to contribute next year so I dont think we need to be wasting picks on wideouts when we kinda have 3-4 good one's imo. Henderson will bring a ton of production to the slot with that anquan Bolden ability he has.... Dude's a beast and he can block and break tackles.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by DT88TheGreat View Post
    We have our 3rd and 4th string guys in Carlos Henderson and McKenzie imo who will be ready to contribute next year
    McKenzie has already contributed enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Call it what you want, the kid is here too stay a while, coach is not going to just dump a guy as talented as McKenzie who they just drafted.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Call it what you want, the kid is here too stay a while, coach is not going to just dump a guy as talented as McKenzie who they just drafted.
    This statement reveals much of you and your measurement of both coach and player.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Reminds me of T. Holliday.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Reminds me of T. Holliday.
    Except with more fumbles and fewer home runs lol.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information