Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos fire OC Mike McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    No QB can be productive behind Denver's OLine. Its like watching a train wreck.

I would have done something completely and radically different on offense to compensate for this.

Every time he went with straight 5 on the Line and 3 Wides they got wrecked. He couldn't seem to get away from the concepts that worked here years ago with PFM and in SD. They do not have the personnel to run it effectively.

Tailor to your strengths instead of forcing players to do what they cannot. Square peg round hole didn't work.
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    No QB can be productive behind Denver's OLine. Its like watching a train wreck.

I would have done something completely and radically different on offense to compensate for this.

Every time he went with straight 5 on the Line and 3 Wides they got wrecked. He couldn't seem to get away from the concepts that worked here years ago with PFM and in SD. They do not have the personnel to run it effectively.

Tailor to your strengths instead of forcing players to do what they cannot. Square peg round hole didn't work.
    Seattle and Philly both have equally suck o-lines. That isn't stopping wentz or Russel.

The o-line isn't as bad as the popular narrative, the QB's are. We have to get capable QB's, period.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    You saw nothing wrong with the play calling, schemes, protection packages, WR miscues, etc?
    Of course I did - but the idea that McCoy, a former HC and successful OC in this league, is solely responsible is total nonsense. He didn't deserve to be fired midseason - it's a scared move by an inexperienced and insecure HC as evidenced by all of the idiotic reasoning in the press yesterday.

4. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Of course I did - but the idea that McCoy, a former HC and successful OC in this league, is solely responsible is total nonsense. He didn't deserve to be fired midseason - it's a scared move by an inexperienced and insecure HC as evidenced by all of the idiotic reasoning in the press yesterday.
    Vance is a defensive coach. His hand, it's not very visible in the offensive scheme. McCoy had basically complete control. The execution, preparedness, lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball, they all fall on him as the person IN CHARGE of the offense. VJ isn't without blame, not by a long shot, but McCoy is the vast majority of the offensive problems. As the person who setup the scheme and sees to its implementation, there isn't really anywhere else the buck could fall.

The special teams problems, they basically fall on Brock. The defense, I think VJ's meddling had a little to do with it there. Rumor has it he's the one insisting on zone defense.

But for the offensive problems, yea, those can be lumped squarely on McCoy.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Vance is a defensive coach. His hand, it's not very visible in the offensive scheme. McCoy had basically complete control. The execution, preparedness, lack of creativity on the offensive side of the ball, they all fall on him as the person IN CHARGE of the offense. VJ isn't without blame, not by a long shot, but McCoy is the vast majority of the offensive problems. As the person who setup the scheme and sees to its implementation, there isn't really anywhere else the buck could fall.

The special teams problems, they basically fall on Brock. The defense, I think VJ's meddling had a little to do with it there. Rumor has it he's the one insisting on zone defense.

But for the offensive problems, yea, those can be lumped squarely on McCoy.
    If we were going to fire a coach it should have been Olivo whose Special Teams have been every bit as disastrous as our offense. Or better yet wait until the end of your first year as HC to make changes as opposed to scapegoating someone in the middle of a lost season.

Anyway - it's done. I'm beating a dead horse. But VJ lost me with the move - and I'm pretty loyal to former Buffs. I think he's in over his head and not a good leader nor an effective coach.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

In a perfect world VJ would have been fired and McCoy would have been named interim but Elway is not going to fire his guy 9 games into his first season. It's as plain as day that hiring VJ was a mistake just like drafting Lynch was a mistake, but now we have to live with it for at least one more season. It sucks but that's how I see it going down.

I just hope Elway figures out the QB and the OL sometime in the next 2 seasons. The track record suggests otherwise though.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    In a perfect world VJ would have been fired and McCoy would have been named interim but Elway is not going to fire his guy 9 games into his first season. It's as plain as day that hiring VJ was a mistake just like drafting Lynch was a mistake, but now we have to live with it for at least one more season. It sucks but that's how I see it going down.

I just hope Elway figures out the QB and the OL sometime in the next 2 seasons. The track record suggests otherwise though.
    You gonna watch the Raider game Chazoe?

If we were going to fire a coach it should have been Olivo whose Special Teams have been every bit as disastrous as our offense. Or better yet wait until the end of your first year as HC to make changes as opposed to scapegoating someone in the middle of a lost season.

Anyway - it's done. I'm beating a dead horse. But VJ lost me with the move - and I'm pretty loyal to former Buffs. I think he's in over his head and not a good leader nor an effective coach.
    Olivo should have been fired too. Him deserving fired doesn't make Mike McCoy less deserving of the honor as well.

VJ is trying to save his job, I'm not defending VJ, I'm not a fan of him at this point either, but none of the other issues with this team mean that Mike McCoy is deserving of being here anymore.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You gonna watch the Raider game Chazoe?
    Is that who we play this week? If Lynch starts I'll DVR it but otherwise probably not. We have a ton of family stuff going on all weekend.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Olivo should have been fired too. Him deserving fired doesn't make Mike McCoy less deserving of the honor as well.

VJ is trying to save his job, I'm not defending VJ, I'm not a fan of him at this point either, but none of the other issues with this team mean that Mike McCoy is deserving of being here anymore.
    McCoy has a track record, Olivo is some johnny come lately. By that standard alone I'd rather have the guy who has HC experience on my staff. But again - I think the more prudent move is to take the bullets as a first year HC and try to let the guys see you leading through adversity... Instead he leaked to the media and passed the blame. Bush league and revealing of VJ's character if you ask me.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

McCoy has a track record, Olivo is some johnny come lately. By that standard alone I'd rather have the guy who has HC experience on my staff. But again - I think the more prudent move is to take the bullets as a first year HC and try to let the guys see you leading through adversity... Instead he leaked to the media and passed the blame. Bush league and revealing of VJ's character if you ask me.
    McCoy has a bad track record...He has one good season, and that was a season when manning was basically in control of almost everything. The year after he left to go be a HORRIBLE head coach for the Chargers, we put up one of the best statistical seasons of all time without him. McCoy is one of the most overrated coaches in Broncos history. He's HORRIBLE. And thank goodness he's gone!

16. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

McCoy sucked...he sucked with tebow... and he sucks now

get over it

18. The Following User High Fived arapaho2 For This Post:

I guess we'll see. I'm not sure if you've read or listened to his interview with Dave Logan, but he goes into a fair amount of detail about why he made the change. I guess we'll see. If Musgrave does things exactly the same, and does not change the scheme in terms of the passing game, then you will have a valid point. VJ alludes very heavily multiple times, might have actually outright said it, that Mike has his scheme and it's been successful with multiple QBs, but hasn't been working here and Mike wouldn't adjust away from the scheme. Changing QBs resulted in the same problems.

So, as I said, if the passing game, 3 wide looks, protection schemes, etc. are the same under Musgrave, then you will have a valid point that VJ just lied and is trying to cover his own butt.

You all don't understand the term scapegoating. In those scenarios, the blameless one takes the fall (i.e. all the sins were placed on the innocent goat who then got sacrificed). McCoy is far from blameless so stop claiming he's just a scapegoat. That's not to say that there isn't plenty of blame that lies with a lot of other folks.

21. The Following 5 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post

If McCoy was made interim HC, then the offensive scheme, which has failed miserably, would still be what the Broncos are running. He wouldn't have allowed Musgrave to switch to his own.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information