Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos fire OC Mike McCoy

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

There were obvious problems, but honestly, I'm not sure this fixes much.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    There were obvious problems, but honestly, I'm not sure this fixes much.
    It doesn't, it's just the beginning of the scapegoating that will likely ultimately lead to a cleansing.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I actually disagree, for the most part. While there may be some scapegoating I think it's clear McCoy needed to go. VJ was a defensive coach before coming here, as a DC and as a position coach. I believe McCoy was given, more or less, total control of the offensive side of the ball other than Vance saying "hey we need to run more" or whatever during the game. The offense has CLEARLY been the biggest hurdle the Broncos have had to overcome. Special teams is next on the list, and the Defense is the best unit on the team (although looking pretty bad lately). If the rumors we are hearing about the playsheet not being practiced are true there is no doubt McCoy needed to go. About time we see some real consequences to the staff. I don't understand why Olivo still has a job, he needs to be kicked to the curb as well.
    Last edited by Davii; 11-20-2017 at 07:04 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Special teams actually played well yesterday.

As to McCoy? See ya. If what's being reported is true, then that's just simply stupid. Calling plays you never practiced? Beyond dumb. I also heard on the radio earlier that they had 15 scripted plays to open up the game, but then during the first part of the game he'd change them. Idiotic, IMO.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 11-20-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarification

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    total scapegoat move. . . VJ, olivo and joe woods suck just as hard, but they still have their jobs. . . olivo should have already texted mccoy an apology. . . "thanks for falling on the sword for the rest of us, dude!"

scheme ain't our main problem-- not having an NFL QB, or functional right tackle or tight end, is the real issue with the offense. . . if they want to actually fix it, they need to fire the guys responsible for that, not the guy who failed to make chicken salad out of bullshit. . .
    Kind of. I see it as Elway may be accepting responsibility for a mistake. But offensive production/turnovers is the major problem with the team. Not adapting to the players talent-level (or lack thereof) is a major mark against him. We stubbornly refused to add help to the RT, we stubbornly insisted on running 3 WR sets in which 1) had no benefit/reward on majority of plays, 2) cost the team as the majority of INTs have come out of that set, and 3) resulted in tons of blown up plays because defenders were either on the RB or QB before the play developed.

I still say McCoy should not get credit for Tebow either (as much credit as you can give Tebow anyways). We stubbornly refused to let Tebow be Tebow for the 1st 3 quarters of those games when he played and tried to force him in to something he wasn't. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that we started calling plays that benefitted his play style.

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Currently at work but I just saw an article posted on Facebook that the Broncos might be parting ways with DT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kind of. I see it as Elway may be accepting responsibility for a mistake. But offensive production/turnovers is the major problem with the team. Not adapting to the players talent-level (or lack thereof) is a major mark against him. We stubbornly refused to add help to the RT, we stubbornly insisted on running 3 WR sets in which 1) had no benefit/reward on majority of plays, 2) cost the team as the majority of INTs have come out of that set, and 3) resulted in tons of blown up plays because defenders were either on the RB or QB before the play developed.

I still say McCoy should not get credit for Tebow either (as much credit as you can give Tebow anyways). We stubbornly refused to let Tebow be Tebow for the 1st 3 quarters of those games when he played and tried to force him in to something he wasn't. It wasn't until the 4th quarter that we started calling plays that benefitted his play style.

A man after my own heart
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

I can't see anyway they could do that, not at the cost of cutting him.

And who else do they have? Sanders is literally the only other good receiver.

12. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Currently at work but I just saw an article posted on Facebook that the Broncos might be parting ways with DT

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I actually disagree, for the most part. While there may be some scapegoating I think it's clear McCoy needed to go. VJ was a defensive coach before coming here, as an OC and as a position coach. I believe McCoy was given, more or less, total control of the offensive side of the ball other than Vance saying "hey we need to run more" or whatever during the game. The offense has CLEARLY been the biggest hurdle the Broncos have had to overcome. Special teams is next on the list, and the Defense is the best unit on the team (although looking pretty bad lately). If the rumors we are hearing about the playsheet not being practiced are true there is no doubt McCoy needed to go. About time we see some real consequences to the staff. I don't understand why Olivo still has a job, he needs to be kicked to the curb as well.
    Yea, I'm not sure why the claims of scapgoating are being thrown around.

McCoy was brought in to run the offense. The offense has sucked. So, when that happens, one of two actions usually takes place. 1. Fire the OC. 2. Relieve OC of play calling duties. Granted, they could have gone with number two, but since Musgrave will probably have his own scheme, it makes more sense to have a clean break.

McCoy, like Kubiak before him, did not do a good job of creating a gameplan to work within the limitations of talent he has to work with. Lots of teams have bad lines or young QBs or whatever. A good OC will create a scheme to maximize player talent, and work around/cover up player flaws. McCoy did not.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I actually disagree, for the most part. While there may be some scapegoating I think it's clear McCoy needed to go. VJ was a defensive coach before coming here, as an OC and as a position coach. I believe McCoy was given, more or less, total control of the offensive side of the ball other than Vance saying "hey we need to run more" or whatever during the game. The offense has CLEARLY been the biggest hurdle the Broncos have had to overcome. Special teams is next on the list, and the Defense is the best unit on the team (although looking pretty bad lately). If the rumors we are hearing about the playsheet not being practiced are true there is no doubt McCoy needed to go. About time we see some real consequences to the staff. I don't understand why Olivo still has a job, he needs to be kicked to the curb as well.
    And that's precisely why any attempt to paint this as accountability rings a bit hollow. I agree McCoy needed to go. But he's not the only one.

It didn't help matters that the firing was telegraphed...

17. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Exactly, considering our protection problems, they would be better off running two TEs or two RBs or BOTH and then be creating about putting some of those blockers in motion, and other times leaving them in to block. You can't just keeping letting the QB be pressured repeatedly and not do anything to compensate.

Interesting on DT.

Not sure what the plan would be if they move him. That would be WR in the draft as a high priority on a team with a ton of high priority needs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I can't see anyway they could do that, not at the cost of cutting him.

And who else do they have? Sanders is literally the only other good receiver.

Highly doubtful they out right cut him but I certainly can see them trading him he has way too many drops for a guy getting the kind of money he is

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Interesting on DT.

Not sure what the plan would be if they move him. That would be WR in the draft as a high priority on a team with a ton of high priority needs.
    Depends on what they get in return

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information