Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elway: Broncos Got Soft

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Elway: Broncos Got Soft

"I think at this point we're still trying to figure out how we can get through it,'' Elway said. "So, there's no question at the end of the year we'll evaluate it and we'll look back and see what happened. But I will tell you, I think we got a little bit soft. To be dead honest with you, we got a little bit soft. We went 4-0 in the preseason, we started out 3-1, then we get a bye week, and if you exhale in this league, you're in trouble. To be dead honest with you, I think we exhaled, and it's hard to recover from that. So, it's a lesson that hopefully we all learned and prevent it from happening again.''

Full:
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21451137/denver-broncos-president-john-elway-says-team-become-little-bit-soft-current-losing-streak

Apparently Joseph will be back. I have no idea why if the team got soft under his watch. Great job Coach. Elway and Co. better have a great off-season and bring in Line help and a QB. This team is at a crossroads and hope they make the right decisions in the fall.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Here's a link that works: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-losing-streak

Lots of lip service. I sure as hell hope the GM is thinking beyond Sunday. That's his job.

Lynch needs to face live bullets as soon as possible and if he ain't the guy, Elway has to go find a new one in the offseason. Can't pussyfoot around the QB position another year. He ****** up going into the year with Siemian as the guy. It was a stupid decision.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The Link works fine.

If they shouldn't have started Siemien, who should have started if Lynch clearly wasn't ready? Who should they have brought in?

Siemien isn't nearly the trainwreck you and everyone makes him out to be. This team has some massive problems that all equal uneven QB production. Cant put it all on him.

5. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    The Link works fine.

If they shouldn't have started Siemien, who should have started if Lynch clearly wasn't ready? Who should they have brought in?

Siemien isn't nearly the trainwreck you and everyone makes him out to be. This team has some massive problems that all equal uneven QB production. Cant put it all on him.
    The link doesn't link. I don't know what else to say.

As to Siemian, we saw what he was down the stretch last season. He was worse than that this year. It really wasn't that hard to see.

Who should have started? Tough question. Had they realized Siemian was a dud they could have reacted better and evaluated differently. Elway chose to try to address other areas offensively and in the end it was a mistake. I would have rolled with Lynch and Sloter, or pushed harder for Romo or Kaepernick. I will be severely disappointed if they don't play Lynch exclusively past this week and if they don't do anything again in the offseason to address the position. It's the most important one on the team.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I see a QB shellshocked from getting plastered behind an OLine that is mauseatingly atrocious. It doesnt matter as his time in Denver as a Starter is over.

I do want Lynch to get some time. I think we will see him start the Jets game.

I can't wait to see what Chad Kelly has, and letting Sloter go was a mistake.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I see a QB shellshocked from getting plastered behind an OLine that is mauseatingly atrocious. It doesnt matter as his time in Denver as a Starter is over.

It's not the offensive line's fault. He wasn't very good behind two different lines. He's got enough talent to be a solid, smart backup for years and years but he is not a starter in the league.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

If he was destroyed by being sacked less than guys performing better does that not make it clear he's not the guy? At what point is his lack of production his fault? He gets a pass just because? Then the rest of the team does as well. The line gets a pass because TS hasn't proven to be adept at reading defenses, holds the ball to long, drifts too far back in the pocket, and truly has bad pocket awareness. The run game gets a pass because the passing game sucks. Our TEs get a pass because our QB can't go through progressions. Our defense gets a pass because our offense. Our special teams get a pass because everything else sucks. Coach gets a pass because he can only roll with the players he has. Elway gets a pass because coach. Ellis gets a pass because Elway. Blame nobody, blame everybody.

Trevor is not a quality starter. Period. This is a qb driven league and we're a team without a quality qb.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

While having a good Oline is very helpful it doesnt guarantee you success if you dont have a QB who can make plays on their own when other parts of the team break down. Proof of this is the case of teams like Miami, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Oakland, and New York Giants. They have Olines ranked in the top 15 but have losing records at this point. People may try to argue that Eli is without some of his best receivers and has two championship rings but if i had to be honest ive never witnessed Eli make those around him better. Its always been with great defense and great players around him that has allowed him success compared to his brother who while in Indy took a lot of no names and made them stars.

13. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

As far as Siemian goes, I saw a QB that is NOT the answer.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

15. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The link doesn't link. I don't know what else to say.

As to Siemian, we saw what he was down the stretch last season. He was worse than that this year. It really wasn't that hard to see.

Who should have started? Tough question. Had they realized Siemian was a dud they could have reacted better and evaluated differently. Elway chose to try to address other areas offensively and in the end it was a mistake. I would have rolled with Lynch and Sloter, or pushed harder for Romo or Kaepernick. I will be severely disappointed if they don't play Lynch exclusively past this week and if they don't do anything again in the offseason to address the position. It's the most important one on the team.
    I agree that Lynch has to play. I think he has to if we lose tomorrow. But if we win and Os plays well, I could see Joseph staying with him, which would be a mistake long term. They’ll say we still have a shot at the playoffs, etc

17. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    As far as Siemian goes, I saw a QB that is NOT the answer.
    He was merely the best of a bad situation. I think a lot of us hoped that he would make a big jump in his second season of starting. That clearly didn’t happen, but it doesn’t make the expectations themselves wrong. Now we’re just stuck with reality. I just want to see them be competitive. Losing is one thing, getting blown out every week is another.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    While having a good Oline is very helpful it doesnt guarantee you success if you dont have a QB who can make plays on their own when other parts of the team break down. Proof of this is the case of teams like Miami, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Oakland, and New York Giants. They have Olines ranked in the top 15 but have losing records at this point. People may try to argue that Eli is without some of his best receivers and has two championship rings but if i had to be honest ive never witnessed Eli make those around him better. Its always been with great defense and great players around him that has allowed him success compared to his brother who while in Indy took a lot of no names and made them stars.
    I agree with your general point but the Giants have one of the worst, if not the worst, OL in the league. Even if they fix that though, Eli is pretty much done

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Proof of this is the case of teams like Miami, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Oakland, and New York Giants. They have Olines ranked in the top 15...
    I stopped reading right there. Those teams, including Denver are some of the most awful units in the League, who can do nothing well and nothing with any kind of consistency.

What 'ranking' puhleeeze. They stink.

"I think at this point we're still trying to figure out how we can get through it,'' Elway said. "So, there's no question at the end of the year we'll evaluate it and we'll look back and see what happened. But I will tell you, I think we got a little bit soft. To be dead honest with you, we got a little bit soft. We went 4-0 in the preseason, we started out 3-1, then we get a bye week, and if you exhale in this league, you're in trouble. To be dead honest with you, I think we exhaled, and it's hard to recover from that. So, it's a lesson that hopefully we all learned and prevent it from happening again.''

Full:
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-losing-streak

Apparently Joseph will be back. I have no idea why if the team got soft under his watch. Great job Coach. Elway and Co. better have a great off-season and bring in Line help and a QB. This team is at a crossroads and hope they make the right decisions in the fall.
    There are times when I feel like it's obvious VJ can't do the job and they should just terminate him at year's end, and I think that will happen if they lose out and keep getting blown out by 25 points. You just can't keep doing that and keep you job in this league. Because you're not even competitive in a league where even the Cleveland Browns are competitive.

This is how bad the Broncos are: The woeful Browns are 0-9 right? That's an NFL worst (again). So they must be the worst team, right?

Here's their losing margins:
    1. 21-18 vs. Pittsburgh -3
    2. 24-10 @ Baltimore -14
    3. 30-28 @ Indy -3
    4. 31-7 vs. Cincy -24
    5. 17-14 vs. Jets -3
    6. 33-17 @ Houston -16
    7. 12-9OT vs. Tenn -3
    8. 33-16 vs. Minn -17
    9. 38-24 @ Detroit -14

Only 1 loss by 20 or more points, and 4 losses by 3 or less.
    By comparison the Broncos losses:

26-16 @ Buffalo -10
    23-10 vs. Jets -13
    21-0 @ Chargers -21
    29-19 @ KC -10
    51-23 @ Eagles -28
    41-16 vs. Patriots -25

Not one loss by less than 10 points, and 3 blowouts, two consecutive, in which they lost by more than 3 TDs.

That is not even remotely competitive. They are less competitive than the Browns!

You just can't get to the end of the season playing like that and keep your job. No way.

The Link works fine.

Obviously not, since I didn't see Trevor drop any punts on Special Teams last week. Not one muffed punt! Nor did they block his kick! In fact he wasn't even in the game at all and they still managed to lose by 25 points!

So, I'm guessing that the Broncos problems START with the QB position, but they go a lot deeper than that.

And they are not just OL issues. What fans in Denver don't ever seem to understand is that this is a league wide problem. Almost NOBODY has a good OL any more. Did you see Dallas in the last game, with Dak Prescott getting sacked EIGHT times by the Falcons? The best OL in football, but they lose a starter on their OL and they are playing like the Broncos OL.

Good, experienced QBs make defenses pay for rushing them like that. Inexperienced or bad ones get rocked. And we have bad and inexperienced guys.

And then there's a few other problems:

No TE can catch passes. None can't be covered by a LB.
    No RB is much of a threat to catch passes over the middle, not even Jamaal Charles who did that his entire career in KC. He's not being used for some reason.
    No 3rd WR. And No! Jordan Taylor does not count.

So, no red zone mis-matches the Broncos can take advantage of. They kick a lot of FGs.

Then their Special Teams are "special" all right, like Special Olympians.

The defense has given up long TD drives to let the team get down early in games. NOBODY on this defense can cover TEs over the middle of the field. And when someone pointed this out to VJ his response was to discuss how hard it is to cover TEs over the middle of the field these days because they're so big and athletic.. . . . blah, blah, blah!

Well, other teams seem to manage, and opponents are going to keep doing that to you until you fix it, so what are you going to do to fix this problem?

Nothing apparently. They let Danny Trevathan walk and ever since then they haven't been able to cover TEs for shit.

They also lost Malik Jackson and since they they have zero interior pass rush. Teams are able to double-team Von on every play because there's no middle pressure. Nice clean pocket to throw from.

The defense is also experiencing continued communications issues between players in the secondary. That is also a problem.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information