Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The uncomfortable position of hoping the Broncos lose.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Default The uncomfortable position of hoping the Broncos lose.

Is this where we are now, or are some still actually hoping that they somehow finish 8-8 or 9-7?

Just wondering, cause this is a rather rare time. I mean the land of mediocrity that lasted from 2006 to 2011 was a very frustrating time.

How many here think if Broncos get one of the top 3 picks that they will be drafting a QB?

Here is the situation. The season is over. Is there still hope for Lynch? Are there any tentative plans for Kelly? If they do draft a QB, do they come back with this shit staff?

This franchise is truly screwed. I cannot even think of a viable candidate for HC right now for next year.

IF the Broncos finish with a 6-10 or 7-9 record, would that be enough for this shit staff to stay?

I have this weird feeling this staff will be coming back...
    UNLESS this team loses out.

Which means we should hoping they lose out. Right?

Right?

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Why, in the name of Christ would you draft a top level QB and out him behind the line we currently have.
    All top picks we have need to go toward tackles and guards... period.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Is this where we are now, or are some still actually hoping that they somehow finish 8-8 or 9-7?

Just wondering, cause this is a rather rare time. I mean the land of mediocrity that lasted from 2006 to 2011 was a very frustrating time.

How many here think if Broncos get one of the top 3 picks that they will be drafting a QB?

Here is the situation. The season is over. Is there still hope for Lynch? Are there any tentative plans for Kelly? If they do draft a QB, do they come back with this shit staff?

This franchise is truly screwed. I cannot even think of a viable candidate for HC right now for next year.

IF the Broncos finish with a 6-10 or 7-9 record, would that be enough for this shit staff to stay?

I have this weird feeling this staff will be coming back...
    UNLESS this team loses out.

Which means we should hoping they lose out. Right?

Right?
    As much as it pains me, if you aren't first, you're last. At this point we aren't making the playoffs, we aren't winning the division. Yes we could have some Christmas miracle and win out and somehow sneak in as a wildcard, but for what? The only reason to win is for pride and this team has no pride in themselves this year.

As much as it stings, I'd rather we lose out, get a top 5 draft pick and go to town rebuilding this team. Draft a stud QB, some o-line, a few linebackers and make a comeback next year.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastBronco View Post
    Why, in the name of Christ would you draft a top level QB and out him behind the line we currently have.
    You can fix more than one issue in a years time. This o-line isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. At the beginning of the year, absolutely, but it has taken steps forwards and gotten better as a unit. We need a RT and a G, that's it. Sign a guard in FA, draft a RT with your second round pick or use the second round pick to trade back into the back half of the first round.

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    You can fix more than one issue in a years time. This o-line isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. At the beginning of the year, absolutely, but it has taken steps forwards and gotten better as a unit. We need a RT and a G, that's it. Sign a guard in FA, draft a RT with your second round pick or use the second round pick to trade back into the back half of the first round.
    The O-Line is pretty ******* bad.
    QB destroyer bad.

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I will never root against the Broncos for draft position. To me, even in a down year, the object of the exercise is to win as many games as possible. Ideally to also sweep the Raiders
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

8. The Following 11 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I will never root against the Broncos for draft position. To me, even in a down year, the object of the exercise is to win as many games as possible. Ideally to also sweep the Raiders
    Each to their own, but I'll never root for the BRONCOS to lose.

QB destroyer bad.
    It's not though... Watch, really watch. The QB's have had time the last several weeks and the times that they are getting blown up, it's normally due to the RT.

According to football outsiders, our o-line ranks 10th in pass protection with an adjusted sack rate of 5.8%.
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Everyone wants to scapegoat the o-line and in the beginning of the year I'd have agreed with you, but the o-line is there. It's protecting. Pass protection isn't the problem. Running could be better, our o-line is ranked 18th in run blocking, but we can pass protect now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Each to their own, but I'll never root for the BRONCOS to lose.
    I respect these opinions but I see the other side too. Nobody that is a fan of the team enjoys seeing Denver lose but I get the reasoning behind, "well, we're out of any playoff picture..."

You root for a higher draft pick because you believe it will help the team get better much faster. Denver was stuck in mediocrity so long under Shanahan because he never really sucked enough to get any real difference makers in round 1.

I don't know that Denver's drafted well enough lately for that to make a difference.

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    QB destroyer bad.
    It's not though... Watch, really watch.
    I suggest you do this. They are AWFUL. There is nothing they do good. I mean GOOD. Nothing. Thats why they are getting creamed because there are no smoke amd mirrors.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I suggest you do this. They are AWFUL. There is nothing they do good. I mean GOOD. Nothing. Thats why they are getting creamed because there are no smoke amd mirrors.
    A lot of the sacks and hits this year have been QB's holding the ball far longer than they should. We had zero sacks last week. I'm by no means saying this line is good, but it's not the worst in the league and it's not nearly as awful as some of you make it out to be. We are getting solid play out of Boles, Leary and Paradis. We need two o-line positions. Guards can be found in free agency, we need a RT.

We aren't miles away from a good line, we need to replace a turnstile RT (which really, again, we gave up zero sacks with Malik finally not out there anymore) Barbre didn't play poorly and I have hope he can shore up that position going forward. I have been watching. For at least the last 5 weeks, the majority of our problems on the o-line have been related to the QB playing like an idiot. When TS was out there he was stepping into the pressure when there was a clear pocket for him to reside in or he was holding the ball too freaking long. Brock is playing smarter and actually helping the o-line out instead of making them look worse than they actually are.

15. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Freyaka is making a lot of sense in this thread. Our line isn't good, but it also isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. We have a very good C and RG right now, and our LT is showing promise - I expect him to be even better next year. We need a RT desperately and we certainly could use an upgrade at LG. But as I said in another thread, no team is great at all five positions. Depth is a problem too, and that will come with time if we actually focus on the line. It wasn't going to be solved in one year, but Bolles and Leary were a good start. Think about it - the Cowboys have three all pros on their line but even they have depth issues - with Tyron Smith out last week, Prescott got abused.

In any case, we need a QB and that should be our number one focus, no matter how we get it.

As to the OP, I know it would be better to finish with the best pick possible, but I cannot root against my own team. I loved beating the Raiders in week 17 last week even if it cost us a few draft picks (and that was when we had already officially been eliminated from the playoffs).

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The problems start with the quarterback. Always does in the NFL. If they're in position to get one next year, they have to.

That said, I don't hope they lose.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Totally wrong! TOTALLY WRONG!

There is only 1 way to win consistently in the NFL, and that is to have an elite QB. So, the Broncos need to do BOTH. One does NOT come before the other, except to the extent that scarcity determines where you draft them.

Elite Franchise QB prospects are normally only found in the top 10 picks, often top 5. RTs can be found in the second round. Since the Broncos will be drafting in the top 10 of the SECOND round as well, they can draft an OL there.

NOBODY in the NFL uses a top 5 pick on a T unless they need a LT, AND unless they already HAVE a franchise QB.

The Broncos will have to improve dramatically to get 3 more wins out of the next 7 games, and that will only get them to 6-10. To do better than that they will have to win more than they lose (4-3 gets them to 7-9).

They are probably going to be 4-12 or 5-11 and they could even go 3-13. That is possible the way they are playing, with the defense giving up 40-50 points a game now.

3-13 or 4-12 gets them a top 5 pick, and they will use that on a QB. The only possible exception would be if the Broncos didn't like any of the top QBs and saw the chance to draft a monster pass-rushing DL like JJ Watt, Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram or Kalil Mack. That would restore the defense to what they lost when they lost Malik Jackson.

But, even that need pales into insignificance before the need to draft a franchise QB.

Who the Hell will start for them next year if they don't? Trevor? He's toast. They have given up on him. Paxton? The fans have accepted his total uselessness even if Elway has not. They will try and see what they have in him. And we know that is nothing. Brock? Brock will be a FA and will be let go. He'll be a backup somewhere else next season. Chad Kelly?

He's a rookie who will need to develop for a couple of years, if he ever does. If the Franchise QB they draft doesn't develop as they hope, well, they still have Chad Kelly and Paxton on the roster as "break glass in case of emergency" QBs.

Pay $25m a year to Kirk Cousins, who will probably stay in DC anyway? Pay something similar to Drew Brees?

Check out Bree's deal:

Drew Brees signed a 1 year, $24,250,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $30,000,000 signing bonus, $24,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $24,250,000. In 2017, Brees will earn a base salary of $13,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $19,000,000 and a dead cap value of $37,000,000.
    No wonder the Saints have no talent! They are paying a boat-load of money to Brees, and that money is going to go UP since Brees will be an unrestricted FA next season. Some team will give him whatever he wants. And he has NOT been willing to take deferred money like Tom Brady to help the salary cap. He wants to get paid $$$$.

The only way to get a cost effective elite QB is to draft and develop him. And that takes a top 5 pick - unless you just get amazingly lucky and find Aaron Rogers at #24, or Drew Brees at #32 or Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. But, that just isn't likely. And attempting to turn a 7th round QB or a late 2nd round QB like Brock into a Franchise QB usually doesn't work ! Then you are just wasting more seasons grooming a guy who will never be able to do the job!
    Last edited by Cugel; 11-17-2017 at 02:21 PM.

One would think a guy who graduated from Stanford and won two Super Bowls and five conference championships would value intangibles over a big arm, but what do I know?

22. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information