Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Way Forward For Next Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    But Elway keeps trying to "develop" Paxton.
    I would sure as heck hope we would try and develop a guy we traded up in the first round of the draft to acquire. Or at the very least let him play to see if he is worth continuing to develop.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Carlos Henderson looks like a capable slot WR. Apparently he's not going to get on the field this year.

RT - They could draft a RT of course. But they might try and find a "bargain basement" RT like Menelik Watson, whose team has given up on him.

Watson cost them $6M for 1/2 a season. They would have been better off paying $12M to Reilly Reiff and getting an actually GOOD RT, but there you go.

It's hard to imagine them keeping Watson or Donald Stephenson, but they kept Stephenson this season when not one fan wanted to see him back on the roster.

Elway and company have been making some really strange personnel decisions and virtually none of them have worked out. So, you'd have to say they were bad decisions.
    I wouldn't mind them drafting a tackle early and seeing what the athletic Watson can do at guard where he could work in a phone booth.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Yeah God forbid they actually try to “develop” an undeveloped player, horrible idea.

If they don’t play Lynch this season they have to draft a QB in ‘18 regardless, because the ‘19 QB draft class is garbage.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 11-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wouldn't mind them drafting a tackle early and seeing what the athletic Watson can do at guard where he could work in a phone booth.
    That’s what I’m thinking, move Leary back to LG and give Watson a shot at RG in front of a rookie.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    The guy is in his second year and has very few live reps. He was tabbed as a 3 year project from the get-go. So, why should they jettison him? Because he's not AHEAD of expectations?
    Because they will be drafting a top 10 QB, that's why. That guy will instantly vault ahead of Paxton on the depth chart, but he won't be ready to start week 1.

Meanwhile Paxton has virtually no NFL experience and it doesn't appear he will get any this season. So, he can't be their veteran starter unless they are angling to beat out the Browns for that #1 overall pick in 2019.

The obvious assumption is that you keep 3 QBs on the roster. They still need to make a decision about Chad Kelly, whom most fans want to see in action.

Who gets cut? Trevor? He's the only decent quality backup they have. He could go out there and start until the rookie QB is ready.

But, if Paxton is hogging reps with the #1 team this off-season that will only slow the development of the #1 pick. You can't have this indecision at the QB position!

But, they can't just ignore the QB problem and say "well, we're rolling with Paxton and Trevor again!" There will be a fan Revolution if they try that crap. It will get uglier than it's ever been at Mile High next season if they try that. You'll have fans booing in the first half of the home opener.

But, if they draft a QB in the top 10 that guy MUST play. MUST. And that means committing to a rebuilding program.

That makes perfect sense if the team is 5-11. They cannot afford another stupid "QB controversy" because Elway is trying to jam Paxton into the lineup when he just sucks.

My own opinion, based on ALL of NFL history is that if Paxton was ever going to develop, he would have done so by now. What do you expect to change between now and next September? He made ZERO progress during the last off-season after his rookie year. He's awkward and injury prone. And he can't read NFL defenses.

Personally, I'd like to see them jettison him right now, and move on. We've seen enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking, move Leary back to LG and give Watson a shot at RG in front of a rookie.
    He'd have to take a monster pay cut to move to G. He's making $7.5M next season if they keep him, and it only costs $2.6 M to cut him. That's much too much for a G. Ron Leary is making $8M but he's an elite Pro-Bowl LEFT G. They only have him playing RG because Max Garcia can't play RG and for some idiot reason they need that loser in the lineup. He's not even the full time starter - Garcia is rotating with Allen Barbre.

Like I said. None of these personnel decisions makes much sense.

But the rest of their Gs are making around $2M which is more in line with their worth.

10. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

No wonder they put Watson on IR with a calf injury, his salary more than doubles next season ... he’s done in Denver.

Btw, it costs them $1.3 M in ‘18 and $1.3 M in ‘19 if they designate him June 1st cap casualty.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Yeah God forbid they actually try to “develop” an undeveloped player, horrible idea.

If they don’t play Lynch this season they have to draft a QB in ‘18 regardless, because the ‘19 QB draft class is garbage.
    There's no point in "developing" TWO QBs at the same time! And one of them will be a top 10 pick! They will only steal reps from each other and slow the development of both. That's what happened with Paxton and Trevor this off-season and it didn't work out, did it?

They need to commit to a QB and develop that guy, giving him all the first team reps. And obviously that cannot be Paxton. They tried that the last 2 seasons and it didn't work out. There is ZERO reason to think he's suddenly going to get good during this off-season!

Now, if they draft a QB they could just let him sit on the bench until he's ready, but if the team is 5-11 there's no point doing that either.

This team will not be competing for anything next season. They will have LESS talent on defense next season than they do now. Offensively their TE and slot WR will be rookies as well. They may not fix the RT spot either. T's are expensive in FA and they will be dumping salary like Aqib Talib's. So they aren't going out and getting an elite RT costing $12M. If they get a bargain basement FA Rt there's no reason to think that guy will be any better than Watson was.

What has hurt this team is trying to "re-boot and not re-build." They need to bite the bullet and just re-build for the long term with a new franchise QB. And they cannot commit to Paxton obviously.

No wonder they put Watson on IR with a calf injury, his salary more than doubles next season ... he’s done in Denver.

Btw, it costs them $1.3 M in ‘18 and $1.3 M in ‘19 if they designate him June 1st cap casualty.
    Agreed. I think he's toast in Denver. They gambled he could stay healthy for an entire season after he missed over 1/2 his NFL starts over his career. And it didn't work. No need to repeat that mistake.

But, it does leave a gaping hole at RT. A rookie might fill it, but they will be drafting in the top 10. They can't take a RT with a top 10 pick even if they didn't draft a QB.

14. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Agreed. I think he's toast in Denver. They gambled he could stay healthy for an entire season after he missed over 1/2 his NFL starts over his career. And it didn't work. No need to repeat that mistake.

But, it does leave a gaping hole at RT. A rookie might fill it, but they will be drafting in the top 10. They can't take a RT with a top 10 pick even if they didn't draft a QB.
    Sure they can, they can even take a LG (Nelson) Top 10 and sign Nate Solder to play RT.

The Broncos play in the most brutal division for RT’s in the NFL, you can absolutely take a RT in the Top 10, and probably SHOULD.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 11-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

16. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Why are we keeping up with the narrative that Paxton is gone after this year? He's still got another 2 years here doesn't he? Makes no sense. Brock is gone, maybe Chad gets cut in off-season, maybe we trade Siemian for a 4th to a desperate team, Idk, depends on the draft I guess. But Paxton is here for a while, regardless if he plays or not.

18. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

Sure they can, they can even take a LG (Nelson) Top 10 and sign Nate Solder to play RT.

The Broncos play in the most brutal division for RT’s in the NFL, you can absolutely take a RT in the Top 10, and probably SHOULD.
    No way. Top 10 picks are for elite players. Any T taken that high must start at LT. And they just drafted Bolles to play that spot. They don't use that high a pick on a RT!

Of course, they could draft a LT and move Bolles to RT. But, then who will start at QB? Trevor? Paxton?

Barf!

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

No way. Top 10 picks are for elite players. Any T taken that high must start at LT. And they just drafted Bolles to play that spot. They don't use that high a pick on a RT!

Of course, they could draft a LT and move Bolles to RT. But, then who will start at QB? Trevor? Paxton?

Barf!
    I have no problem with drafting a tackle with a top 10 pick, and giving a kings ransom to Cousins.

21. The Following User High Fived tripp For This Post:

I wouldnt do either of those.

I would draft a Joey Bosa type player with our top 10 pick. If we have to move up to get him, then do it! We need another pass rusher full time to keep Von from getting double and triple teamed....That is my target for a 1st rd pick! Aaron donald, Joey Bosa, I do not care but get someone like that! That is what we need.

We can find a perfectly fine T in the 2nd round. Cam Robinson, probably the best tackle in the draft last year went to the cheifs? in the second round. Hes a boss!!

Next year I bet you anything it will be: Brock, Pax, Chad as the 3 qbs battling it out. I have money on The Chad! -if that is the case, then we still have 3rd rd + com picks to find us a CB, G, ILB, WR, Rb, TE.....And Free Agency to boot. We know that Talib is gone, so is CJ, so likely is Shaq Barrett, and Both RT (stephenson and Watson). So CB, RB, and T get moved up the priority list. Pass rush is key imo. Our defense is lacking because of that! We dont have the sacks or turnovers. WHy does Jacksonville have such a good D right now? How are their ILBs? They are getting sacks and turnovers. We are not.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

23. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

From John Elway's interview with Dave Logan, Broncos KOA announcer:

1. Paxton will be on the roster next year.

2. Elway is not trotting Paxton out there this year if he's not ready.

Since nobody thinks he's going to be ready this season Logan doesn't think we'll see Paxton this season. They will play it out with Brock, and/or Trevor.

This sounds like another "QB competition" next season.

REMEMBER: My take is like everybody else. The Broncos need to just accept that Paxton is worthless and move on. But Elway keeps trying to "develop" Paxton.

So, it looks like even if they draft a QB we will see a lot more of Paxton next season.
    That's so disgusting...Elway is going to try and force Paxton on us next year as the starter. I bet you anything we don't draft a QB until mid to late rounds next year...

25. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information