Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Annoying little trend about this team....

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Default Annoying little trend about this team....

Started out with week 1. Broncos dominating, up 24-7. Things are going great, and defense is dominating. 5 minutes after we were all feeling good about that, all of a sudden it is 24-21 and the Broncos are reeling. The defense is completely breaking down and they had to survive to win it.

Even in week 2 against the Cowboys. Broncos up, 35 to 10. The Cowboys score, a bit of a coverage breakdown with Simmons. Ok, that happens. All of a sudden, again the offense goes into the tank. It is not able to convert any 3rd downs. The Cowboys are driving. Remember, it was a 103 yard int return. The Cowboys were driving and really in control of the game over the last half quarter or so. Maybe more.

The Bills game. Broncos are not getting exactly dominated. The game is in reach, and the offense at some point in the 3rd and 4th quarters was completely inept. Now, granted the Bills look pretty legit this year. Still flying under the radar a bit, but with them shutting down the Falcons in Atlanta this week, well they are a team to be reckoned with this year. However, the Broncos offensive ineptitude in the second half against the Bills was the 3rd straight game they did that.

Now against the Raiders. Broncos in really complete control. Broncos get a gift wrapped first down inside their 20 yard line. Can put the game away with a mere FG, but they really need a TD. They come away with ZERO points. Broncos need to survive a back up QB who was looking like Brady against the Falcons in the SB up until that int. Again, 4 games in a row where the offense actually looks ok and then fades into a something that resembles an offense led by Craig Morton in 1980, then something dynamic.

Disturbing trend. Both on offense and defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

This team is kinda reminding me of those shanahan teams that would look awesome for those first 15 scripted plays, then just fall apart as the game went on. Definitely not the best trend.

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

Siemian is beginning to look worse and worse as the games go on. Are teams figuring him out? Is he cracking under pressure? Play calls? What is it? I don't understand it but it's alarming when you can't put teams away as OP has stated. All 3 games we have won, we should have won by 21+ points, but we keep them in games because of failed 3rd down calls, and offense not staying on the field long enough.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    This team is kinda reminding me of those shanahan teams that would look awesome for those first 15 scripted plays, then just fall apart as the game went on. Definitely not the best trend.
    Yes. This had me wondering if McCoy is doing the same thing.
    In Elway We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Yes. This had me wondering if McCoy is doing the same thing.
    Joseph said the are believers in scripted plays, the first 15 or so.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Statistically speaking this observation or opinion is well too small of a sample size to consider a trend.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Statistically speaking this observation or opinion is well too small of a sample size to consider a trend.
    4 games is a quarter of a season. It is a trend. Small or not.

9. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

This is a trend has McCoy did this in SD. In the lead in 2nd half goea conservative to kill as much time as possible. This was why SD lost so many games in 4th quarter and why teams keep climbing back into games.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    This is a trend has McCoy did this in SD. In the lead in 2nd half goea conservative to kill as much time as possible. This was why SD lost so many games in 4th quarter and why teams keep climbing back into games.
    I really don't have a problem with the call for running and spinning the clock with a lead. Ask Atlanta fans how valuable that is. It really is a effective and most of the times we don't see it when it works. It would probably amaze people how much time a team has if a team is not working on the clock. It is like the prevent defense. We all see when it does not work. Most of the time it does work and most of us don't see the effects.

I have a problem with the execution or lack there of by this team in crunch time. I forgot which NBA coach said this, but the quote has something to with a player that is able to hit pressure free throws with 2 minutes left as compared to when there is not pressure. The Broncos offense with Siemian seems to execute in the beginning (apparently scripted plays) when there is little pressure to convert 3rd downs. Then as the game goes on and the heat is turned up the offense (Siemian) does not execute plays consistently.

Granted, it takes a special type of QB to do that. I really believe that is what sets great QBs apart from the rest. If we notice, Siemian becomes less effective when the heat is on and the team NEEDS to move the chains. That goes for the end the half as well as the 4th quarter.

I could be way off with what I am seeing too. It certainly seems that way.

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    4 games is a quarter of a season. It is a trend. Small or not.
    so you know nothing about statistics then.. and since it didn't happen in Dallas game you are down to three.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    so you know nothing about statistics then.. and since it didn't happen in Dallas game you are down to three.
    I pointed out how it also happened in the Dallas game. Midway through the 3rd quarter till the end of the game, the offense did not execute consistently.

Missed the game?

I pointed out how it also happened in the Dallas game. Midway through the 3rd quarter till the end of the game, the offense did not execute consistently.

Missed the game?
    Seriously?

Denver opened 2nd half with a 7 minute drive that ended in a Touchdown.

Next possession was a quick Touchdown after we intercepted Dallas.

Next possession was a one-play deep pass to DT that was intercepted.

On to the fourth quarter.

First possession was 3 and out.

Next possession was a 5 minute drive starting from the Denver 6 that included 3 penalties (1 by Dallas, 2 by Denver including a False Start on Trevor when Paradis had the snap count wrong).

Next possession was a 3 and out consisting of three straight run plays forcing Dallas to use up all three of their timeouts.

The only other time we had the ball was when Talib was running 7 and half miles on a pick six, and the following PAT and kickoff.

How, exactly, does that prove your point that the offense was completely ineffective?

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Seriously?

Denver opened 2nd half with a 7 minute drive that ended in a Touchdown.

Next possession was a quick Touchdown after we intercepted Dallas.

Next possession was a one-play deep pass to DT that was intercepted.

On to the fourth quarter.

First possession was 3 and out.

Next possession was a 5 minute drive starting from the Denver 6 that included 3 penalties (1 by Dallas, 2 by Denver including a False Start on Trevor when Paradis had the snap count wrong).

Next possession was a 3 and out consisting of three straight run plays forcing Dallas to use up all three of their timeouts.

The only other time we had the ball was when Talib was running 7 and half miles on a pick six, and the following PAT and kickoff.

How, exactly, does that prove your point that the offense was completely ineffective?
    I seem to remember AFTER the Broncos went up 35-10 in the third that they were relatively ineffective. Two 3 and outs and an int on the first play after a big int as you pointed out.

After going 35-10, the offense failed to run the clock and failed to score. The Cowboys offense scored a rather quick TD at one point and moving the ball better.

That is what was happening. I know I am being a bit technical, but there is a trend with this team. It has happened to one degree or another in each of the 4 games. A quarter of the season.

I seem to remember AFTER the Broncos went up 35-10 in the third that they were relatively ineffective. Two 3 and outs and an int on the first play after a big int as you pointed out.

After going 35-10, the offense failed to run the clock and failed to score. The Cowboys offense scored a rather quick TD at one point and moving the ball better.

That is what was happening. I know I am being a bit technical, but there is a trend with this team. It has happened to one degree or another in each of the 4 games. A quarter of the season.
    After the one-play interception early in the 3rd quarter, Dallas got the ball on the Denver 39, converted a 4th and 1, then scored on a 28 yard pass to Witten. That wasn't "moving the ball better" and has zero to do with how effective Denver's offense was in the second half. From that point it was a three and out (supports your view, but happens to all teams in every game), a 5 minute drive, and a 3 and out that exhausted Dallas' timeouts.

Denver does have an issue with keeping the pedal down late in games, but this game is not an example of that.

18. The Following User High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    Siemian is beginning to look worse and worse as the games go on. Are teams figuring him out? Is he cracking under pressure? Play calls? What is it? I don't understand it but it's alarming when you can't put teams away as OP has stated. All 3 games we have won, we should have won by 21+ points, but we keep them in games because of failed 3rd down calls, and offense not staying on the field long enough.
    Siemian is looking worse and worse because teams are deciding that they have to stop the Broncos rushing attack, go with double coverage on DT & Sanders on the outside and basically dare Trevor to beat them down the middle of the field passing. And he's a very inexperienced QB. So, they do everything they can to confuse him and put pressure on him with extra defenders, etc.

Right now Trevor lacks the experience necessary to take the team on his back and carry them in a game, and unlike some running QBs who have tremendous arm strength, he can't rely on athleticism to get the job done either. He's a pocket passing QB who doesn't take many chances. He's been compared with a younger Alex Smith. Well it took 11 years for Alex Smith to develop into the QB he is now. Trevor would have to develop a lot quicker, but he is doing that.

But, if he just eliminates basic mistakes and doesn't try and throw the ball into the tightest coverages, then the team can win. With this defense they can win the SB. But, that will depend on getting much better offensive performances - and that will in turn require developing the TEs as pass catching threats, working Jamaal Charles into the lineup as a 3rd down pass-receiver more, and getting more production out of the #3 WR too.

In short the players around Trevor are going to have to play better, because he's not Tom Brady out there and you can't just rely on him to make all the difference on offense.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information