Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Jones among owners trying to halt Roger Goodell's extension

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Jerry Jones among owners trying to halt Roger Goodell's extension

The Cowboys' Jerry Jones was a leading voice among 17 NFL owners on a conference call Thursday that discussed the possibility of halting commissioner Roger Goodell's pending contract extension, sources involved with the call told ESPN.

There is a growing difference of opinion among owners on Goodell's overall performance as commissioner, according to sources. The owners on Thursday's conference call are generally unhappy with Goodell and the NFL's front office for a variety of reasons, including the player protests staged during the national anthem, the issues regarding the relocation of teams to Los Angeles and the league's handling of the Ray Rice domestic violence case, according to sources.

"You don't get to have this many messes over the years like Roger has had and survive it," said one owner on the call.

Despite the unhappiness, this group of owners is skeptical that it will be able to outright fire Goodell, according to sources. The NFL would need 24 owners to approve Goodell's ouster. But one person involved in this past week's conference call compared the NFL's current situation with Goodell to Major League Baseball's situation with Fay Vincent in September 1992, when baseball owners voted 18-9 to force him out and replace him with Bud Selig.

"There is, and was, something that is an issue," a league source who was not on the conference call and didn't learn about it until Saturday night said. "I'd be very surprised about wanting to change Roger. I'd be shocked about that."
    rest - much more - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ract-extension

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Im with Jones, i dont like Goodell at all.

I like him.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

4. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

it's about time jerruh did something good. . .

6. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Im with Jones, i dont like Goodell at all.
    I'm not a fan of Goodell, but I am even less of a fan of Jerry Jones. Isn't it amazing that Jerry was a strong supporter of Roger Goodell until his player "Zeke", who is an idiot and thug, was suspended. Not to mention Jerry's 180 degree turn on the national anthem situation.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

8. The Following User High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    I'm not a fan of Goodell, but I am even less of a fan of Jerry Jones. Isn't it amazing that Jerry was a strong supporter of Roger Goodell until his player "Zeke", who is an idiot and thug, was suspended. Not to mention Jerry's 180 degree turn on the national anthem situation.
    Jones has his issues but Goodell has been mostly bad for the NFL. The fact that he is so wishy washy on things has not helped at all. He totally screwed the pooch on the Ray Rice issue.

10. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

The players don’t like Goodell because he holds them accountable. The owners are turning on him because they’re afraid of their players.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

12. The Following 4 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Goodell doesn’t make these messes, he doesn’t beat his wife, murder people, get DUI’s ... that’s the players making these headlines. Fans don’t like him because he’s suspending their best players. All these messes amounts to about 5% of the leagues players.

The owners lining up to ship Goodell out are probably the ones that Goodell had the stand up to, Jones, Kraft, Bisciotti.

The problem here is some owners think they’re above the others.

Somebody has to hold all these Billionare/Millionaire infants accountable.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Goodell doesn’t make these messes, he doesn’t beat his wife, murder people, get DUI’s ... that’s the players making these headlines. Fans don’t like him because he’s suspending their best players. All these messes amounts to about 5% of the leagues players.

The owners lining up to ship Goodell out are probably the ones that Goodell had the stand up to, Jones, Kraft, Bisciotti.

The problem here is some owners think they’re above the others.

Somebody has to hold all these Billionare/Millionaire infants accountable.
    I don't think Kraft is one of the owners who are plotting to ship Goodell off. Kraft was pissed at Goodell for screwing the pooch with the Ray Rice and Brady situations. I suspect that the owners who are plotting against Goodell are Jones, Richardson (Panthers), McNair (Texans), etc. who want to punish the minor number of players who are protesting during the national anthem.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The NFL has changed dramatically during his tenure. Not for the better. I miss Paul Tagliabue. I am all for this and hope it happens.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

17. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

I hope he gets enough owner support to cancel the extension. The NFL has spiraled down under Goodell's watch. I didn't watch a minute of any game this weekend and didn't miss it.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

The owners just need to gel.

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I hope he gets enough owner support to cancel the extension. The NFL has spiraled down under Goodell's watch. I didn't watch a minute of any game this weekend and didn't miss it.
    Everyone involved, the Owners, Goodell, the players, have all seemingly forgotten that they are all replaceable. The fans are not so easily replaced. I think these idiots may have actually killed that proverbial golden goose.

PS - Yesterday i went to church, went out to lunch, went grocery shopping, took a nap, read a book, and watched the superb WS game at night. I'll watch the Broncos tonight, though I suspect I'll regret that decision...
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

23. The Following 5 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Everyone involved, the Owners, Goodell, the players, have all seemingly forgotten that they are all replaceable. The fans are not so easily replaced. I think these idiots may have actually killed that proverbial golden goose.

PS - Yesterday i went to church, went out to lunch, went grocery shopping, took a nap, read a book, and watched the superb WS game at night. I'll watch the Broncos tonight, though I suspect I'll regret that decision...
    I didn't watch any football yesterday either. It was a fantastic day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I watched a little RedZone between the 12 bags of leafs I had to bag. Only because I had heard the Raiders were getting ass-whooped.

27. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information