Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Shanahan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Mike Shanahan?

I know people will say this is crazy, but i was thinking last night. Just hear me out.

We all wanted to run Shanahan out of town, but lets be real: He overstayed. Messages got stale. Defensive decline. Bad personnel moves. The move to Cutler over Plummer was his demise (see Sundquist, Ted).

However, this is a different day and Shanahan is wiser.

Elway has brought back former Broncos before. With Shanhan working WITH Elway and not having full control over personnel, I can see it.

It would be a quick transition. Quality Defense and a great Coaching Staff are in place (Woods). He would need to focus on STs.

Shanahan and son Kyle had an excellent relationship with Kirk Cousins. IF Denver is committed to going this route, I can see this as a major drawing point for Cousins to come to Denver.

I can certainly see it. Shanahan can come in immediately as he knows the organization. He would be vast improvement over what we have seen i think. Joseph is not ready IMO.

I also say if Denver comes out dead again in KC, Joseph needs to be fired upon his return to Denver. Who else can they bring in with such short notice other than Shanahan? There's still a LOT of football left, and I know Elway won't throw in the towel like that.

With the state of the offense and all these young QBs he can certainly help. And if we want Cousins it may be the best way to acquire him.

Thoughts?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

3. The Following 7 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I hear ya Tim. But, if Denver not only gets destroyed, but comes out flat, dead, lifeless, again... What else is there to do? Start for 2018? At 3-4? This won't be accepted by the Season ticket holders.

Once the Defense throws in the towel, not wanting to continue to kill themselves and risk injury for nothing, this thing can get a whole lot worse.

If they get whacked again, and there is another performance like weve seen the past two weeks, Joseph gotta go ASAP. And believe it that Elway doesnt want to continue to get embarrassed. His reputation is getting tarnished.

I am all for change, conservative warrior.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

There are so few options out there of people who can come and quick fix this and bring new ideas. We tried the hot coordinator route and it has failed apparently twice.

I am all for Mike Shanahan returning BUT this is under the consideration that this Organization will do whatever it takes to lure Kirk Cousins. THAT is the X factor in my thought process.

I see no reason whatsoever to believe the Broncos will suddenly fix these offensive issues. It is only going to get worse. I expect them to get absolutely manhandled vs a KC team looking for payback. Elway will then have to do something immediately to stop the bleeding.

I see bringing in Shanahan would be accepted by the players too.
    Last edited by Shazam!; 10-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

There's absolutely no way you fire a head coach in his first year for anything other than maybe insubordination or something. No chance. We're 6 games in and you think the book is written already?

I could see Shanahan coming in during the off-season to help Elway with the draft, maybe as an offensive consultant or something, but not anything else.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

I didn't like the hire but he should get at-least a season, preferably at-least 2 to show he can do something unless he is a little general asshat like McDaniels and just shits the team to pieces. I don't think this is the case

I think he has made good hires, I think if he lets his coaches coach then he will do ok but he needs to make some tough calls on the offense, he and his team need to get that shit figured out.

Worst case scenario, he may be another Jon Fox. I hope not...but he doesn't deserve to be fired...yet.

I hated the VJ signing. Something was just off with the whole thing and I wanted Kyle Shanahan. Had Wade stayed and Kyle was hired I truly believe this team would have been on the right path to great things.

However, I'd love to see Mike here but I highly doubt that would happen. How would Mike and Elway get along? Two alphas...

Really...I want to see us trade for a QB more than anything then figure out this coaching situation. Elway hand picked VJ so....I don't expect a change anytime soon....unless we get shut out against the raiders and KC.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

If they come out lifeless and dead @ KC... Elway will have some splainin' to do.

Mike Shanahan?
    I know people will say this is crazy, but i was thinking last night. Just hear me out.
    No. I'm not going to hear you out.

Mike Shanahan has retired. Permanently. He's 65 years old and happy to stay retired:
    Kyle Shanahan spent four years working for his father Mike on the Redskins' staff, but don't expect the pair to team up in an official capacity with the 49ers.

The younger Shanahan told reporters at Super Bowl media night that there have been no discussions about his father having a role in San Francisco, where Kyle is expected to be named head coach early next week.

“I always anticipate asking my dad for advice and stuff like that, just like anybody would in their profession if their dad had done the same thing and been successful at it,” Shanahan said, via CSN Bay Area. “But as far as him working in the building and doing stuff like that, that’s definitely not been in the discussions. My dad’s basically retired.”

Mike Shanahan, 64, has been out of coaching since he and Kyle were fired by the Redskins following the 2013 season. He spent 20 years as an NFL head coach with the Raiders, Broncos and Redskins, winning back-to-back Super Bowls with Denver in 1997 and 1998.

The pair's partnership in Washington ended in a 24-40 record and will be remembered by many for a falling-out with Robert Griffin III a year after the quarterback led the Redskins to the playoffs in his rookie season.

“We did our deal in Washington and I wouldn’t take that back for the world, but that was pretty much the end of it,” Kyle said.
    If he was going to come back into football at all it would be in some kind of advisory position with the 49ers. But, he's not interested. He has tens of millions of dollars in the bank and he doesn't have to get up and work in the morning. Life is good. He plays golf a lot and does speaking engagements.

It's like all those idiots who keep suggesting Jon Gruden, only he concluded a long time ago that there's a easier life than coaching professional football. When you're an analyst you don't lie awake all night tossing in your bed because your FG kicker keeps missing key kicks, or your star RB just had a domestic relations arrest or shot himself in the leg and is facing an 8 game suspension. You can't quit football as a coach for years and years and then come back.

And NO, NO, NO he wouldn't be any good any more even if he did come back. The NFL changes every year and to do that job right you have to be immersed in it all day every day all year long. Just because you were good at your job 5 years ago doesn't mean you'd be any good at it today if you have been out of it that long.
    Last edited by GEM; 10-27-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Personal attack deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    If they come out lifeless and dead @ KC... Elway will have some splainin' to do.
    To who? You? He reports to the Bowlen family and his buddy Joe Ellis. He just signed a new 5 year deal making him the one of the highest paid GMs in football, and he's not going anywhere, whether the Broncos win another game this year or not. Everybody else can "go fish" as far as he's concerned. If the fans aren't happy that's not any worse than when he sometimes was booed as a player. You learn to tune it out to do your job.

He made some really bad personnel decisions particularly regarding the QB position. That's life in the fast lane. He also won a SB.

It's not easy to find really good QBs in this league. Some teams have never even had one. The Browns have been waiting since Bernie Kosar's day to get another elite QB, and the Bills have been waiting for their next great or even good QB since Jim Kelly retired.

It would not be a terrible surprise if Paxton simply was a bust. That happens to about 1/2 the QBs taken in the first round, and almost ALL of them taken in later rounds. No surprise.

As JFK said: "10% never get the word." Paxton could just be one of that 10% for whom the light never goes on. All the tools in the bag, but mentally he just never learns how the game is played at the highest level. That happens some times.

If the team continues to struggle for the next 2 or 3 seasons then maybe there's some talk of getting rid of Elway prior to the expiration of his contract, but it will take a LOT of fail to get John Elway out of that job.

As for answering to the fans, well. . . . he just doesn't care much. Too busy doing his job.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Shanahan really lit it up his first few years as HC. Joseph gets his chance to right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Shanahan really lit it up his first few years as HC. Joseph gets his chance to right the ship.
    And on this note, as much as I and others wanted Kyle as the HC, it is not like his 49er team is setting records, they are 0-7 with a shitty offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And on this note, as much as I and others wanted Kyle as the HC, it is not like his 49er team is setting records, they are 0-7 with a shitty offense.
    Kyle could be the next Bill Walsh, since Walsh went 0-7 too.

19. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I have no problems at all with Shannahan coming back. But I think it's far more likely that we would get Rodgers or Luck before that happened.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information