Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Shanahan?

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    There's absolutely no way you fire a head coach in his first year for anything other than maybe insubordination or something. No chance. We're 6 games in and you think the book is written already?

I could see Shanahan coming in during the off-season to help Elway with the draft, maybe as an offensive consultant or something, but not anything else.
    /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Mike Shanahan would be perfect for the position of offensive coordinator. He was an awesome coordinator for Niners. I would bring him back to fix the offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

After getting slaughtered by KC, something will have to be done. No way some big shake up doesnt happen if tbis team plays dead.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    To who? You? He reports to the Bowlen family and his buddy Joe Ellis. He just signed a new 5 year deal making him the one of the highest paid GMs in football, and he's not going anywhere, whether the Broncos win another game this year or not. Everybody else can "go fish" as far as he's concerned. If the fans aren't happy that's not any worse than when he sometimes was booed as a player. You learn to tune it out to do your job.

He made some really bad personnel decisions particularly regarding the QB position. That's life in the fast lane. He also won a SB.

It's not easy to find really good QBs in this league. Some teams have never even had one. The Browns have been waiting since Bernie Kosar's day to get another elite QB, and the Bills have been waiting for their next great or even good QB since Jim Kelly retired.

It would not be a terrible surprise if Paxton simply was a bust. That happens to about 1/2 the QBs taken in the first round, and almost ALL of them taken in later rounds. No surprise.

As JFK said: "10% never get the word." Paxton could just be one of that 10% for whom the light never goes on. All the tools in the bag, but mentally he just never learns how the game is played at the highest level. That happens some times.

If the team continues to struggle for the next 2 or 3 seasons then maybe there's some talk of getting rid of Elway prior to the expiration of his contract, but it will take a LOT of fail to get John Elway out of that job.

As for answering to the fans, well. . . . he just doesn't care much. Too busy doing his job.
    when you say really bad decisions - you act like there were better options. like what?
    he also made the most brilliant QB personnel decision / in FA history to take huge chance on PFM who at the time couldn't throw a ball. won one SB and went to another. i guarantee to those he is accountable to are not looking at it as Elway has made the bad decisions you speak of. He has the cheapest QB payroll in the league. He has pro bowlers all over the defense and a couple HOF'ers. The team is competitive and the strands are always full.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    To who? You? He reports to the Bowlen family and his buddy Joe Ellis. He just signed a new 5 year deal making him the one of the highest paid GMs in football, and he's not going anywhere, whether the Broncos win another game this year or not. Everybody else can "go fish" as far as he's concerned. If the fans aren't happy that's not any worse than when he sometimes was booed as a player. You learn to tune it out to do your job.

He made some really bad personnel decisions particularly regarding the QB position. That's life in the fast lane. He also won a SB.

It's not easy to find really good QBs in this league. Some teams have never even had one. The Browns have been waiting since Bernie Kosar's day to get another elite QB, and the Bills have been waiting for their next great or even good QB since Jim Kelly retired.

It would not be a terrible surprise if Paxton simply was a bust. That happens to about 1/2 the QBs taken in the first round, and almost ALL of them taken in later rounds. No surprise.

As JFK said: "10% never get the word." Paxton could just be one of that 10% for whom the light never goes on. All the tools in the bag, but mentally he just never learns how the game is played at the highest level. That happens some times.

If the team continues to struggle for the next 2 or 3 seasons then maybe there's some talk of getting rid of Elway prior to the expiration of his contract, but it will take a LOT of fail to get John Elway out of that job.

As for answering to the fans, well. . . . he just doesn't care much. Too busy doing his job.
    when you say really bad decisions - you act like there were better options. like what?
    he also made the most brilliant QB personnel decision / in FA history to take huge chance on PFM who at the time couldn't throw a ball. won one SB and went to another. i guarantee to those he is accountable to are not looking at it as Elway has made the bad decisions you speak of. He has the cheapest QB payroll in the league. He has pro bowlers all over the defense and a couple HOF'ers. The team is competitive and the strands are always full.
    THIS.

Elway answers to season ticket holders. Thid id not the Miami Dolphins.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    I agree with you to a point, but the team has not been competitive at all the last 2 weeks. We'll see if this week is any different.

As for the "huge chance" on PFM, everyone who didn't have a good QB was willing to give their left testicle for him. Elway was instrumental in him choosing Denver, but let's not pretend he took some major chance to get one of the Best QB's who has ever played or ride with Tebow. It was a no-brainer.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Are we talking about replacing McCoy or Joseph?

I think we are viewing shanny with rose tinted glasses, he is old and his system it's as out dated as kubiaks any glimmer of success came from his sons offensive play calling

I never liked the Joseph hire, but damn we need to give him at least two seasons

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

come on, man! you're better than this. . . you know who fires coaches after two months? the raiders. . .

11. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

No...

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Are we talking about replacing McCoy or Joseph?

I think we are viewing shanny with rose tinted glasses, he is old and his system it's as out dated as kubiaks any glimmer of success came from his sons offensive play calling
    All this^

I excluded the last line because i dont think VJ needs 2 years. There is too much talent on this team to be as stale as it is and now the kicking and screaming from even a year ago is gone. Shanahan isnt the answer either, as you said he is outdated and would bring nothing new to the table. The reality is Denver hasnt found their franchise HC yet just like they have not found their franchise QB. VJ will get at least this year but if he bombs out with the kind of talent that is on the offense and the team doesnt at least play more competitively than i could easily see him getting the axe. JE has shown he will even kick you to the curb with a winning season and a SB trophy. Yes, i know Kubes health played a factor but i also think his inability to improve the offense helped that decision a lot more than was let on. The window with this defense is rapidly closing so Elway can not afford another Josh McDaniels.

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

I am not remotely worried that VJ is McDaniels, he was a special case...I do worry though that he is another Fox.

Good demeanor, easy to like, unable to make adjustments and stubborn.

16. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I am not remotely worried that VJ is McDaniels, he was a special case...I do worry though that he is another Fox.

Curious as to how so?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I was talking more in the sense that we cant really afford to wait 2 and a half years to figure out if VJ is going to work out or not. I agree with you about the demeanor though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Curious as to how so?
    I get the idea that no matter how Simien plays, he will be the QB. Sometimes you just have to make a change and I am not sure he will.

20. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

I get the idea that no matter how Simien plays, he will be the QB. Sometimes you just have to make a change and I am not sure he will.
    IMO.....Brock wasn't brought here to take over if things go south....like the last 2 games.......I'm thinking this is Elway's plan. He's only here if Siemian gets hurt, and until Lynch heals (maybe Kelly). I don't believe either of those guys are ready to hit the field, and may not be for the rest of the season. I have no factual evidence to back my theory, but I believe Osweiler was a desperate, impulse buy.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information