Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice / press conference notes - week 8 (Chiefs week)

Default Practice / press conference notes - week 8 (Chiefs week)

A few roster notes from yesterday before the practices begin. Klis talks about Zaire Anderson possibly starting with week, with Todd Davis hurting:

ENGLEWOOD - Maybe, a couple pad pops from Zaire Anderson is just what the Denver defense needs in its attempt to slow Kareem Hunt.

Anderson could get his first NFL start in Denver’s next game against the Kansas City Chiefs as Broncos inside linebacker Todd Davis moved through the locker room Monday with the aid of crutches and a protective boot on his right foot.

Davis suffered a high ankle sprain in the Broncos’ 21-0 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday. Anderson came off the bench at StubHub Center and recorded four solo tackles in just 10 defensive plays.
    http://www.9news.com/sports/bronco-n...rson/485456480

He also mentions Ray's return and the potential returns of Watson, Sanders, McKenzie and Latimer, which I'm sure we'll hear more about today.

A few more bottom of the roster notes:

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 23h23 hours ago

Broncos re-signed Kyle Peko to the practice squad.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 16h16 hours ago

Broncos have waived Dillon Day. Added LB Kevin Snyder to the practice squad.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 16h16 hours ago

So with 2 practice squad additions (K. Peko, Snyder) and release of Day, Broncos have 1 spot open on both active roster & practice squad.

I can barely contain my excitement for this upcoming game.

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I can barely contain my excitement for this upcoming game.
    Maybe they'll surprise us and rally the troops for a win? It could be the type of game that gives the team the identity they are searching for, and make a season. Then again, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back for this season... I guess we'll see in 5 days....

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

I don't see a win for us for quite some time, but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

I think everybody but CHefs fans are dreading this game, rather like Giants fans were prior to the Broncos game and we all know how that turned out. Nothing in the NFL is ever as simple as it appears. Denver appears hopelessly outmatched but who knows?

Denver's Offense has scored 16, 10 and Zero points in the last 3 games. Everybody from Trevor on down to the backups has sucked totally and completely.

Denver's defense has played well, but has given up long game shattering drives like the 8 minute drive the Chargers used to put the game away. They struggle to get off the field on third and long in key situations.

The Special Teams: They've given up TDs on punt returns. They've given up big plays on kick returns. And McManus got paid $6M and seems to have decided to retire but not tell anybody, because he's the worst kicker in the NFL right now.

Meanwhile the Chefs are scoring nearly 30 points a game and Alex Smith is playing like Tom Brady, while their defense has pass rushers like Justin Houston.

But, the past is no predictor of the future. The worst team in the NFL can always beat the best on a given afternoon. Well, we don't play the best team in the NFL until we travel to Philly to face the Eagles so maybe they can pull it off.

4-4 at mid-season would be bad, but not terra-bad like 3-5, 3-6. Lose two to the Chefs and Eagles and then the Patriots come to town. And they are starting to play better on defense which means they might suddenly emerge in a couple of weeks as the high flying Patriots team everybody expected. It's called coaching. They had a problem in their defense, so they look to acquire help prior to the trade deadline: The Patriots could boost their roster depth over the next week.

So, on the surface it looks like the kind of game that got McDaniels fired, when the Raiders came to town and just annihilated the Broncos in front of a 1/2 full stadium of angry fans. If this team goes 3-6 and gets humiliated by the Pats, it could be the sign that they need to start rebuilding and spend the rest of the season figuring out who wants to be part of the team moving forward, and who they want to cut or trade in the off-season.

Unfortunately, the obvious candidates for getting rid of are DT, Sanders and McManus because they are not earning their $31M a year combined salaries. But they just signed McManus and DT to huge cap-busting deals and can't get rid of them prior to 2019. And Sanders has been their best WR and they'd probably like to keep him and move him up to #1 WR.

Lots of problems. No solutions in sight but it's a long time until September 2018 and they have a long time to figure out stuff like "who's our QB?"
    Last edited by Cugel; 10-25-2017 at 11:17 AM.

8. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Good teams in the NFL rarely lose two in a row. They never lose three in a row.

So we've got that going for us. Maybe they wake up and play with their hair on fire.

What's that you say? The Chiefs have lost two in a row as well? And they've just had a mini-bye after the Thursday night game? And the game's in K.C.

FML.

The line in Vegas is KC -7. I would give the points on this one.

"I don't see any way the Broncos can score enough points to keep up with the Chiefs, so I see the Chiefs bouncing back in a big way after 2 losses. Give me the Chiefs -7 this week."

Pretty much sums up my feelings. The question is whether the Broncos can score TDs on the Chiefs offense. We'll see, but the desperate sounding player interviews make me feel like this team is really down and ready to fall apart. I could see veteran defenders like Aqib Talib wanting off the team next season if this continues and the Broncos are in full rebuilding mode next year.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Can’t wait for the “great week of practice” soundbite from the coaching staff.

I think our problem is that we can’t hit in practice anymore. Siemian, like Orton before him looks great in practice because he’s not facing real bullets and the RTs look okay because Von isn’t blowing by them to strip sack Siemian every play.

This is a pivotal point in our season. If I were VJ, we’d be in pads this week (I’d use one of the allowed full pads weeks) and guys would be popping. TS would even get “popped” -not taken to the ground, but popped so he knows the defender is there. There wouldn’t be any “vet rest” days either. This team would work this week if I was the HC.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

12. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Can’t wait for the “great week of practice” soundbite from the coaching staff.

I think our problem is that we can’t hit in practice anymore. Siemian, like Orton before him looks great in practice because he’s not facing real bullets and the RTs look okay because Von isn’t blowing by them to strip sack Siemian every play.

This is a pivotal point in our season. If I were VJ, we’d be in pads this week (I’d use one of the allowed full pads weeks) and guys would be popping. TS would even get “popped” -not taken to the ground, but popped so he knows the defender is there. There wouldn’t be any “vet rest” days either. This team would work this week if I was the HC.
    And the RT would have a TE tied to his waist.

14. The Following 5 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    And the RT would have a TE tied to his waist.
    Maybe John could come down and play QB. At least he wouldn't lock on targets and would go through a progression. The ball might only go 10 yards, but it might be enough.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 2h

Chiefs have NFL's leading rusher in Kareem Hunt. But the 2 teams that averaged fewest rush yards in Weeks 6-7 were KC (61 yds) & DEN (57.5)

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 49m49 minutes ago

#Broncos Donald Stephenson worked out w trainers. Incline training as makes way back from calf injury @DenverChannel

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 49m49 minutes ago

Injured Bronco besides Shane Ray w/best chance of returning vs KC is Isaiah McKenzie. Not sure about Sanders, Latimer, Watson. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 48m48 minutes ago

Isaiah McKenzie (ankle) at Broncos walkthrough, wearing a helmet. Good sign.

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 48m48 minutes ago

Paxton Lynch is practicing for first time since Aug 19 shoulder injury. #9sports

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 43m43 minutes ago

Cody Latimer (knee) at walkthrough too.

Mike Klis‏Verified account @MikeKlis 40m40 minutes ago

TE Jake Butt came up a little sore last week. Not practicing. #9sports

Nick Kosmider‏Verified account @NickKosmider 40m40 minutes ago

Broncos right tackle Menelik Watson joined the team on the field with a helmet just as the media-viewing window of practice was ending.

18. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Come on Jake Butt. Rub some dirt on it.

20. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Harris Jr doesn't sound too happy.

“We have to find a way to not give up any points,” Harris said. “We can still be more dominant.”

“We just have to worry about ourselves,” Harris continued. “We have to worry about being better and try to give up zero points. We can be more dominant and make more turnovers. That’s the only thing we’re trying to focus on ourselves and what we can do.

“We can’t control what the offense does. That’s on them. They meet in a totally different room than us. We have to control what we can control on defense and try to be more dominant.”
    http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017...s-zero-points/

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos VJ said Lynch working in slowly. Has had some soreness But no timeframe to be ready for a game @DenverChannel

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck now3 seconds ago

#Broncos VJ said have to block heavy fronts better, must have RB make guy miss. And be efficient in passing game on outside @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala now5 seconds ago

Vance Joseph said Shane Ray will start Monday at Kansas City.

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos VJ said simple. Siemian must minimize turnovers. Team even in takeaways in wins. Minus 8 in losses @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 3m3 minutes ago

Joseph said Shane Ray will be on a snap count Monday vs Chiefs. First game back from injury.

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

Joseph said Menelik Watson “is doing very well.” Was out last week with calf injury.

Lindsay Jones‏Verified account @bylindsayhjones 48s48 seconds ago

Joseph called game vs Chiefs a “must-win.” “This game is absolutely urgent. ...It’ll allow us to get back in the race.”

Troy Renck‏Verified account @TroyRenck 27s28 seconds ago

#Broncos VJ said Watson making progress toward playing. Sanders improved. Has not been ruled out. But will be race vs clock @DenverChannel

Nicki Jhabvala‏Verified account @NickiJhabvala 2m2 minutes ago

Todd Davis (ankle) sore. Broncos haven’t ruled him out, but I’d be surprised if he’s available Monday vs. Chiefs.
    Last edited by VonDoom; 10-25-2017 at 02:37 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information