Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: At What Point Do We Blame Elway and Vance Joseph For the OL?

Default At What Point Do We Blame Elway and Vance Joseph For the OL?

Something simple to consider:

Yesterday the Broncos faced a couple of familiar OTs starting against our #1 NFL defense:

LT Russell Okung
    RT Michael Schofield

Yet, somehow those two who sucked so horribly in Denver, were NOT beaten like a gong against Von Miller and Shaqil Barrett. Rivers was sacked twice by Von and 3 times over all, but most of those were harmless. Rivers knew he had the game in hand and the only thing that could possibly lose for the Chargers would be for him to throw it into coverage and give Chris Harris and Aqib Talib chances to intercept and return one to the house.

There was no need to throw the ball into coverage so he took the safe play, and took the sack instead on a couple of plays.

Supposedly, Mike McCoy and all this incredible coaching talent that was supposed to get this offense geared up and running like an Indy Pace Car and the offense can't score a point. And the OL is just the worst it's ever been. We thought it sucked in 2015. Then they replaced a bunch of OL for 2016 and we thought "at least it can't be worse."

Then in 2017 the Broncos rebuilt the OL again and got rid of Russell Okung and Michael Schofield because BOTH of them sucked.

But, I didn't see either of those players embarrassed like Bolles or Alan Barber. Why is it that the Chargers can get productive play out of two players the Broncos discarded - and those discarded players are playing adequate, if not great football for the Chargers, while the Broncos OL goes from bad to worse every single game, and Trevor is looking like a piñata that lost a bout with George Foreman.

Something is wrong with the OL coaching. It's true that they were relying on Menelik Watson and he's hurt.

But, the dude was hurt over 1/2 his career before this season, so surely there was a plan "B" in case he got hurt again? Right?

Only apparently that idea that was obvious to every single fan escaped the notice of Elway and Joseph. They got rid of Schofield, and tried to sell everybody on the idea that Allen Barbre - a backup LG could be their swing tackle!

Well, is it even his fault that he can't do the job? It was idiotic to think he could just jump into the lineup against Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram when he hasn't played RT in years, and only played it sparingly before.

If the OL lacks talent and isn't playing up to even their rather meagre potential, whose fault is that? That's on the coaching staff starting with VJ.

And the lack of talent is on Elway and the scouts who failed to secure at least an adequate swing T to back up, knowing that their RT has missed over 1/2 his career with repeated leg injuries and predictably has another one going this season.

It's like they gambled on things that were unlikely to happen and had no backup plan when those things didn't happen.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Well, Vance inherited this line so I'd say it's more on Elway, but that's just me.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

https://www.milehighreport.com/2017/...ffense-edition

Read this article from the Giants game and keep blaming the offensive line and coaches.

6. The Following 8 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Meh. If we could have swapped QB's with the Chargers yesterday we would have won that game. Just sayin.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Well, Vance inherited this line so I'd say it's more on Elway, but that's just me.
    Well... Considering ALL coaches have no final authority on personnel decisions since Elway came on board; I'd say this entire team is Elway's responsibility. The situation seems worse than ti was at the end of Shanahan's tenure but I don't think it's quite as bad as the brief McDumbNuts experiment.

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Meh. If we could have swapped QB's with the Chargers yesterday we would have won that game. Just sayin.
    Didn't watch the game. Looking at the box scores I was surprised to see such a lopsided score! I'd have though it would be 20-21 or 17-14. Just goes to show that the little things can add up on you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Starting out this year, the OL was playing good, run game was good, passes were being completed as protection was there. Can't see how VJ or John can be blamed for the injuries now on the OL.

http://www.foxsports.com/san-diego/s...ve-line-102017

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Read this article from the Giants game and keep blaming the offensive line and coaches.
    Wow that was a great write up. Even as an armchair QB you can see Siemian stare down receivers which is the only way to explain the fact that they are brought down instantly or mugged for the ball. You never see him throw a guy open or throw to a spot like the really good QBs do. Even the long ball never leads a receiver who seems to have a step on the corner. Drives me crazy. It was apparent with the Chargers yesterday when they just lined up everyone at the sticks on 3rd and long and rushed 3 or 4. They have no respect for our QB.

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Wow that was a great write up. Even as an armchair QB you can see Siemian stare down receivers which is the only way to explain the fact that they are brought down instantly or mugged for the ball. You never see him throw a guy open or throw to a spot like the really good QBs do. Even the long ball never leads a receiver who seems to have a step on the corner. Drives me crazy. It was apparent with the Chargers yesterday when they just lined up everyone at the sticks on 3rd and long and rushed 3 or 4. They have no respect for our QB.
    There are other problems no doubt but his play is by far the biggest.

14. The Following 6 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Is Chad Kelly practicing yet?

Wouldn't it be nice if we still had Sloter?
    Let's Rid3!!!!

16. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Good article.

The thought of rooting for a giraffe troubles me. I know it shouldn't but there it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Why would this be on Joseph?

First off, the line is improving. Injuries don't change this fact. It's just unlucky that injuries are happening to the worst part of the line. The other four are playing alright. RT is still a real problem. QB is also a real problem. No one can block forever.

But, while it is Elways fault, a lot of the problems are the changes to the coaching staff (which is also Elway). We have completely changed oline philosophies multiple times in the past 5 years. Each one has required a different type of lineman. Each change in staff has meant a change in linemen. That doesn't bode well for good oline play.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived jhns For This Post:

I’m a little baffled Trevor doesn’t seem to climb the pocket and fire considering the amount of time he spent watching Manning

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    I 100 percent agree with you. Most of the starting QB's in the league could have won that game even with our line IMO. How hard is it to score 14 fricken points? (I know it ended up 21, but it wouldn't have been without TS giftwrapping INT's to them)

24. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

On the bright side...

LB Shane Ray is back. Again, I am going to depend on defense this season.

Unfortunately, I do not know what to say about offense. However, I hate to say... Coach VJ found himself in hot water with his offense. I think coaching system is starting to crumble down little. I hope they will find a rhyme again.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information