Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Siemian not only NFL quarterback to endure 'sophomore slump'

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Siemian not only NFL quarterback to endure 'sophomore slump'

ENGLEWOOD - Drew Brees sat his rookie year, started his second. In his third season, he had two games where he threw 3 interceptions and no touchdowns. Both losses.

Matt Ryan was the landslide NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2008. In his second season as the Atlanta Falcons’ quarterback, he threw for 500 fewer yards but three more interceptions.

Alex Smith has easily been the NFL’s best quarterback through the first six weeks this season, throwing 12 touchdowns against zero interceptions. That’s nowhere near how he played in his second season as a starter when he had 16 touchdowns against 16 interceptions.

You know where I’m going with this. Broncos quarterback Trevor Siemian has hit a bit of a sophomore slump in his third season, second as a starter.

He threw two bad picks in an awful loss Sunday to the New York Giants.

What should the Broncos do? The examples of Brees, Ryan and Smith – and there are many others – suggest stick with him.
    rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/siemian-...lump/484401068

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I agree with this piece.

Sadly this is going to be unpopular.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Krugan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

T-Sim is also a 7th round pick unlike those others mentioned.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

There is a learning curve for a QB but 2 great games and a handful of ok games and more bad games does nit mean slump. Means its an issue...pattern.

Now he injured shoulder again.....

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

While its possible that it is a sophomore slump Abe did point out a big difference and that being Siemian was not drafted to be a starter to begin with. The article writer might want to point at the possibility that Siemian could be like those guys but then Siemian could also be a lot like Derek Anderson or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

9. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

To consider it a slump in his second season, wouldn't his first had to have been good?

He is pretty much right on par with last year and what I have figured he is, he is a guy who will have a long career in the NFL as a journeyman QB. A bridge starter that is a quality backup.

11. The Following 4 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

The QBs in the article also didn’t play on teams that had anywhere near the talent the Broncos do. Ryan was a top 5 pick for a reason. Stop giving Trevor excuses for poor play. Other QBs get criticized for screwing up. Trevor can take his medicine like everyone else.

Funny how guys like Wentz and Watson don’t need excuses. One is a second year guy, one is a rookie. All Trevor has to do is stop turning the ******* ball over and convert a 3rd down once in a while with his arm. Nobody expects him to be Tom Lady or Aaron Rodgers. Learn the playbook, learn how to read a defense, learn how to find the hot receiver on a blitz, and learn how to help Paradis with protection calls especially when our RTs are struggling. Do that and people won’t have a reason to complain about him. I don’t expect Trevor to carry this team or even this offense, but I do expect him to do more good than harm.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

13. The Following 6 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Since this is his "sophomore" year, let's go ahead an link him in with the following:

Carson Wentz
    Dak Prescott
    Jared Goff
    Paxton Lynch?
    Jacoby Brissett
    Cody Kessler
    Kevin Hogan

I would take Lynch out of the equation completely, and put Simien somewhere around Brissett. I actually like what Brissett has done with his situation and think he's a QB with future potential. Simien has looked very similar to COdy Kessler, the numbers are very comparable, and the only difference is the players each QB is surrounded by. I don't think either will be a starter in the NFL in 3-5 years.

15. The Following User High Fived silkamilkamonico For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

as of now the team is not good enough to win consistently or maybe even win at all if TS doesn't play mistake free. He's an average QB at best.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Everyone bashed on lynch.....,let me put out a name,of a current young QB who fell flat on face and everyone called a bust after a bad rookie campaign....Goff. He was really bad last year but they let him ride for half a season on bench and threw him into fire.

Another young QB who had a great start to rookie season and kinda flamed out as year went on and is having an amazing season this year.....wentz

I mention these guys because they are true sophomores and had rocky starts and team stuck with them and it paid off. They were much more nfl ready then lynch but they are only QBs drafted ahead of him. If Goff was our QB last year everyone would have called him a bust and told Elway to look for a new QB or pull off blockbuster trade. My point is that lynch needs to get a fair shot to prove self and need live games to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    The QBs in the article also didn’t play on teams that had anywhere near the talent the Broncos do. Ryan was a top 5 pick for a reason. Stop giving Trevor excuses for poor play. Other QBs get criticized for screwing up. Trevor can take his medicine like everyone else.

Funny how guys like Wentz and Watson don’t need excuses. One is a second year guy, one is a rookie. All Trevor has to do is stop turning the ******* ball over and convert a 3rd down once in a while with his arm. Nobody expects him to be Tom Lady or Aaron Rodgers. Learn the playbook, learn how to read a defense, learn how to find the hot receiver on a blitz, and learn how to help Paradis with protection calls especially when our RTs are struggling. Do that and people won’t have a reason to complain about him. I don’t expect Trevor to carry this team or even this offense, but I do expect him to do more good than harm.
    Basically this.

It's not as if people were expecting the world here, just decent QB play with a guy who is conservative, throws the ball away rather than force it into too tight a window, a guy who is smart, understands the playbook and makes the right reads.

Instead he keeps staring down his WRs. Janoris Jenkins said that he saw Trevor on film staring at his target, and saw it during the game so he just sat on the route and picked it off and ran into the end-zone. Game over.

The frightening thing is that this isn't the first game he's done that, and you have to imagine the coaches were going over the film with him, showing him how he was looking right at his target the whole time, allowing the defense to react to that "tell."

Yet, he keeps doing it. That is the sign of a bad QB, a guy who doesn't fix mistakes.

WEll, we'll see this Sunday whether they have gotten through to him or not. If not, then it's going to be really, really long assed season.

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Everyone bashed on lynch.....,let me put out a name,of a current young QB who fell flat on face and everyone called a bust after a bad rookie campaign....Goff. He was really bad last year but they let him ride for half a season on bench and threw him into fire.

Another young QB who had a great start to rookie season and kinda flamed out as year went on and is having an amazing season this year.....wentz

I mention these guys because they are true sophomores and had rocky starts and team stuck with them and it paid off. They were much more nfl ready then lynch but they are only QBs drafted ahead of him. If Goff was our QB last year everyone would have called him a bust and told Elway to look for a new QB or pull off blockbuster trade. My point is that lynch needs to get a fair shot to prove self and need live games to learn.
    And where, pray tell is he going to do that? Not in Denver where this team is ready to win a SB NOW with this defense IF and only IF the QB doesn't suck. Well, a first year starting QB almost always sucks. Even Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year, and so did Elway, to mention two QBs with more talent in the ring finger than Paxton has in his entire body.

If they start Paxton next season it would be just admitting to the team that "we're going to struggle with a first year starter" and one who hasn't done anything in the league yet too.

No, I think Paxton is a career backup at this point, whether they admit it or not. He's never going to be the starter for the Broncos because they are not CLEVELAND! We don't have years to waste letting some rookie learn the ropes. They did that last year with Trevor and didn't make the playoffs. A good QB would have won at least 1 more game and they'd have been in.

We can't AFFORD to "see what we have in Paxton" unless the defense falls apart and becomes just mediocre. Then they can clean house, dump some high priced veterans and "rebuild" with a first year starter.

Quote Originally Posted by nevcraw View Post
    as of now the team is not good enough to win consistently or maybe even win at all if TS doesn't play mistake free. He's an average QB at best.
    If it's IMPOSSIBLE for the team to win unless the QB is FLAWLESS, they're at least as average as him.

Let's lay it all at his feet anyway: Because if we're only ONE guy away from a championship a single trade/draft pick can put us on top, but if we're half a dozen guys away we have too many problems for any quick fix. Never mind that we have "a revolving door of turnstiles" at RT, and our RG isn't much better (or LG, if we keep playing that game where we move Leary over because one gaping hole on BOTH sides is somehow better than two gaping holes on one side.) And I'm not saying we have NO coverage LBs save Marshall (and Von, but the longstanding and valid consensus is that would be a criminal waste) but we sure get raped by TEs and fifth string WRs a lot for a team that bills itself as "The No Fly Zone." Speaking of depth WRs, have we found one yet? I still like Fowler, but here's the thing:

We can talk about throwing it deep, how Siemian MUST be on target and ANY legit starter can get the ball out in <2 secondsbut the reality is that unless DT and Sanders run a 2.0 40 that's not enough time for Siemian to do anything but throw a deep lob and hope they can beat the jam in time to run under it before a safety does. That problem doesn't magically leave if Siemian does, and Lynch isn't mobile nor precise enough to play duck, duck, goose with LBs 3-4 full seconds and still hit receivers.

'Course, if Siemian's so bad he costs us games when he's not even on the field it won't be enough to just bench him; he'll have to be cut.

More reality: We threw 54 times at home against a winless team last week, running just 17 times for 46 yds, or a whopping 2.7 yds/att with not one but TWO Pro Bowl RBs in our backfield. Because our second year QB's not good enough. Same reason 4th year vet Orleans Darkwa (who?!) ran for 117 yds on just 4 more carries, and Manning posted a 95.9 rating throwing to a single TE and a bunch of third tier WRs not even good enough to take Bennie Fowler or Jordan Taylors job.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    And where, pray tell is he going to do that? Not in Denver where this team is ready to win a SB NOW with this defense IF and only IF the QB doesn't suck. Well, a first year starting QB almost always sucks. Even Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year, and so did Elway, to mention two QBs with more talent in the ring finger than Paxton has in his entire body.

If they start Paxton next season it would be just admitting to the team that "we're going to struggle with a first year starter" and one who hasn't done anything in the league yet too.

No, I think Paxton is a career backup at this point, whether they admit it or not. He's never going to be the starter for the Broncos because they are not CLEVELAND! We don't have years to waste letting some rookie learn the ropes. They did that last year with Trevor and didn't make the playoffs. A good QB would have won at least 1 more game and they'd have been in.

We can't AFFORD to "see what we have in Paxton" unless the defense falls apart and becomes just mediocre. Then they can clean house, dump some high priced veterans and "rebuild" with a first year starter.
    According to you it us pointless to draft a QB, Elway has always said he won't sacrifice the future. He can't get giid vets because teams dont let them walk. So we are SOL at the QB position then.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    If it's IMPOSSIBLE for the team to win unless the QB is FLAWLESS, they're at least as average as him.

Let's lay it all at his feet anyway: Because if we're only ONE guy away from a championship a single trade/draft pick can put us on top, but if we're half a dozen guys away we have too many problems for any quick fix. Never mind that we have "a revolving door of turnstiles" at RT, and our RG isn't much better (or LG, if we keep playing that game where we move Leary over because one gaping hole on BOTH sides is somehow better than two gaping holes on one side.) And I'm not saying we have NO coverage LBs save Marshall (and Von, but the longstanding and valid consensus is that would be a criminal waste) but we sure get raped by TEs and fifth string WRs a lot for a team that bills itself as "The No Fly Zone." Speaking of depth WRs, have we found one yet? I still like Fowler, but here's the thing:

We can talk about throwing it deep, how Siemian MUST be on target and ANY legit starter can get the ball out in <2 secondsbut the reality is that unless DT and Sanders run a 2.0 40 that's not enough time for Siemian to do anything but throw a deep lob and hope they can beat the jam in time to run under it before a safety does. That problem doesn't magically leave if Siemian does, and Lynch isn't mobile nor precise enough to play duck, duck, goose with LBs 3-4 full seconds and still hit receivers.

'Course, if Siemian's so bad he costs us games when he's not even on the field it won't be enough to just bench him; he'll have to be cut.

More reality: We threw 54 times at home against a winless team last week, running just 17 times for 46 yds, or a whopping 2.7 yds/att with not one but TWO Pro Bowl RBs in our backfield. Because our second year QB's not good enough. Same reason 4th year vet Orleans Darkwa (who?!) ran for 117 yds on just 4 more carries, and Manning posted a 95.9 rating throwing to a single TE and a bunch of third tier WRs not even good enough to take Bennie Fowler or Jordan Taylors job.
    Giants loaded the box and played man to man. Our RB were not going for a lot with 7 to 8 guys in the box. Several giants even came out and said their game plan was to,force Siemian to beat them with arm. That is the game play for Siemian because he can't run offence without play action and running. A good quarterback would eat man to man alive and try to get favorable matchup ups.

Blitz the QB and load box is how you beat Siemian. Because he picks where he wants to go pre snap and will stare down that target or force it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information