Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Elway's 7 drafts on the offensive side of the ball

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Default Elway's 7 drafts on the offensive side of the ball

I was having a conversation with my boys about how our offensive can consistently be this bad. This question popped up in that conversation: Name the top 5 offensive players John Elway has drafted in the 7 drafts he's had since taking over the team. With the new CBA, drafted players locked into their 4 year deals are the clear building blocks teams have used to build good squads so don't count UFAs or free agent acquisitions. I'll go first:

1. Matt Paradis (even though we cut him to put him on the practice squad and lost his 4 year deal)
    2. Julius Thomas (even though Elway AND Xanders said after the draft that Xanders "pounded the table" for him)
    3. Trevor siemian? (clearly not the future for us at the position)
    4. Garret Bolles? (just because he's the first lineman we've drafted other than paradis to not be terrible)
    5. Virgil Green????!!!!

How in the world has he acquired virtually nothing other than a center on the offensive side of the ball through 7 drafts????!!!!!

Here's a list of every offensive player he's drafted with the rounds listed:

2nd Orlando Franklin
    4th Julius Thomas
    7th Virgil Green
    7th Jeremy Beal

2nd Brock Osweiler
    3rd Ronnie hillman
    4th Phillip Blake

2nd Montae Ball
    5th Tavarres king
    6th vinston Painter
    7th Zac Dysert

2nd Cody Latimer
    3rd Michael Schofield
    6th Matt Paradis

2nd Ty Sambraillo
    3rd Jeff heuerman
    4th Max Garcia
    7th Trevor Siemian

1st Paxton Lynch
    4th Devontae Booker
    5th Connor Mcgovern
    6th Andy Janovich

1st Garret Bolles
    3rd Carlos Henderson
    5th Jake Butt
    5th Isaah Mckenzie
    6th De'Angelo Henderson
    7th Chad Kelly

2. The Following User High Fived foco For This Post:

yep... drafting at the back-end of the round every year will hinder your drafts for sure. He should have tanked every year and got one of the top 3 picks in each draft. ...championship!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:

Welcome, light bulb!

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    yep... drafting at the back-end of the round every year will hinder your drafts for sure. He should have tanked every year and got one of the top 3 picks in each draft. ...championship!
    That would actually be a good snarky point if the Steelers and Patriots front offices didn't exist. Must be some sort of East Coast magic.

7. The Following User High Fived foco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Yea, you dont necessarily have to draft in the top 10 every year to acquire talented players. You just have to be smarter with your choices.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by foco View Post
    That would actually be a good snarky point if the Steelers and Patriots front offices didn't exist. Must be some sort of East Coast magic.
    The Pat's... So you're saying the Broncos should be lucky and just happen to draft one of the best QB's of all time in the 7th round and then have that QB take much less money than he is worth? Great plan! Yeah how smart the Pat's were, they knew he was that good and waited for the 7th round to draft him. You know the Pat's were the worst ******* team in the league and had 90% of their stadium empty for a decade before that, right?

The Steelers? Since Elway has been here what have the Steelers done that the Broncos haven't?

Get the **** outta here with that ******* nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Yea, you dont necessarily have to draft in the top 10 every year to acquire talented players. You just have to be smarter with your choices.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

11. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

So the point you are making is that Elway hasn't done enough with the offense. How'd he do on Defense?

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    So the point you are making is that Elway hasn't done enough with the offense. How'd he do on Defense?
    He's done amazing. outside of the 2014 free agency bonanza (ward, talib, and ware), he's built probably the best Denver defense ever fielded through the draft. A defense that basically single handedly brought us a super bowl in an era where that should be impossible. I guess i was just bringing it up because I didn't realize exactly how poorly we had drafted on the offensive side of the ball till I went through all the drafts to look at it.

14. The Following User High Fived foco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    The Pat's... So you're saying the Broncos should be lucky and just happen to draft one of the best QB's of all time in the 7th round and then have that QB take much less money than he is worth? Great plan! Yeah how smart the Pat's were, they knew he was that good and waited for the 7th round to draft him. You know the Pat's were the worst ******* team in the league and had 90% of their stadium empty for a decade before that, right?

The Steelers? Since Elway has been here what have the Steelers done that the Broncos haven't?

Get the **** outta here with that ******* nonsense.
    The point was that other franchises have drafted later in the rounds and still came away with talent. Elway has just not done that on the offensive side of the ball, and that is the principle reason we're not a contender now...even though an average offense would put us in contention with the defense we have.

The patriots are more than just Brady (who was drafted in the 6th not the 7th btw). They've now drafted basically two whole above average to great offensive lines since winning their first SB, as well as Gronk, 2 backup qbs who've they've flipped for better assets, and a 3rd backup QB who they turned down the #12 overall pick for this last draft.

The Steelers have drafted Smith-Schuster, Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Markus wheaton, decastro, martavius Bryant, and emmanuel sanders since they won the SB. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel were both drafted in 2010, the year after the won the SB and had the last pick in the draft. ya know, since that was your point. 4 of those are Pro Bowlers. Julius Thomas is the only offensive Pro bowler Elway has ever drafted.

Despite his obvious strength at talent evaluation on defense (which has become the team's identity now), I just didn't realize exactly how poorly we've drafted on the offensive side of the ball in the last 7 years. And it's not a lack of effort, we've put over 45% of our draft picks into offensive players; they've just not worked out. That, more than anything in my opinion, is the principle reason we've been a shit show on offense for nearly 3 years now. Since the rams game in 2014. And as much as I love Elway (and wouldn't trade him for the majority of front offices in the league because of his success in many other areas), I think he's kinda been given a free pass from media and fans for how bad he's done on that side of the ball.

But don't bother trying to actually research anything for an opinion....or having a discussion. I see the "blue" forum hasn't changed much since I left. I'll just take the discussion to the other forums. Good to see you're still on here though, North.
    Last edited by foco; 10-18-2017 at 04:45 PM.

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived foco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Yeah, I would go so far as to say overall he's done amazing. His biggest areas of weakness clearly are QB and OL. And the former is easier to explain away as TONS of QB picks end up being busts. It's difficult for anyone to draft that position effectively/easily without trading up or being perennial losers.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by foco View Post
    But don't bother trying to actually research anything for an opinion....or having a discussion. I see the "blue" forum hasn't changed much since I left. I'll just take the discussion to the other forums.
    You should stick around, but grow a set of balls first.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

No te vayas foco.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Chris Harris

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    You should stick around, but grow a set of balls first.
    I'm a 30yr Navy man. I've worked with a lot of "bro balled" dudes. I guess I just can't keep up y'all's internet balls....or least want to in my free time. It's cool though. This is America; we all have options.

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived foco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Texans have shown y'all the blueprint. Sign a worthless quarterback for $72 million then trade him and a 2nd round pick to an idiot team like the Browns. Then you trade the same idiot team your first pick and draft a superstar quarterback. Meanwhile, the worthless quarterback gets cut and signs with his original team for a lot less.

Rick Smith is a genius.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

In a side note bolles is the highest rated OT out of the draft this year so far through 5 games. 40 points above the Alabama OT Robinson.

26. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information