Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: New graphics card for PC

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Unless you are using crossfire/SLI, I'm not sure what the benefit of running both is, unless you have multiple monitors or something.
    It's an asus p6x58d/e and it said crossfire enabled on the mobo advert but idk...

    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    I am running 2 monitors and the 1050 card only has 1 dvi slot, so it actually is an issue for that reason
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It's an asus p6x58d/e and it said crossfire enabled on the mobo advert but idk...

    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/
    My statement was generic. Crossfire is Radeon's technology for linking 2 cards, and SLI is Nvidia's. I don't think you can mix card types like this.

    It's fine to run 2 monitors, if that's what you need it for, but you won't see performance benefit to doing so. If anything, you are just using more juice/causing more heat.

  4. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:


  5. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    Virgil Green
    Posts
    2,563

    Default

    Just order this and a few supportive parts for it and you will be set.

    https://www.pcmag.com/news/357836/nv...-card-costs-3k
    “Absolutely, I can help, not just protection-wise but in the run game. That’s something that I take a lot of pride in,” Green said. “It’s something I feed of off. I love to hit. I’m smiling right now – just the thought of hitting somebody is a great feeling.”

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just order this and a few supportive parts for it and you will be set.

    https://www.pcmag.com/news/357836/nv...-card-costs-3k
    that's a lot of graphics card
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It's been a long time since I built my system, thinking about replacing the graphics card. There's one on amazon for $150 or so, looks like the solution for my laggy ass games. Don't think I need to bump the RAM (at 6gb right now) or CPU.

    There you have it.
    I know either Amazon or New Egg has a Geforce GTX 1060 for around $200. It's the desktop version of the card I have in my laptop and my laptop runs pretty much everything I throw at it. I can play most new games on highest settings and get between 60-70 FPS at all times.

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I know either Amazon or New Egg has a Geforce GTX 1060 for around $200. It's the desktop version of the card I have in my laptop and my laptop runs pretty much everything I throw at it. I can play most new games on highest settings and get between 60-70 FPS at all times.
    I saw a 1060 for 225, but that's too much money to spend on kid's stuff. I'm a grown man.
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I saw a 1060 for 225, but that's too much money to spend on kid's stuff. I'm a grown man.
    Uh... we've seen some of your late night posts.

  10. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:


  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere Kansas
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I saw a 1060 for 225, but that's too much money to spend on kid's stuff. I'm a grown man.
    You spend a little more now, you'll have a longer gap between now and when you need to spend again the next time.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    You spend a little more now, you'll have a longer gap between now and when you need to spend again the next time.
    Part of the problem is not being sure that a graphics card alone is a solution. Perhaps the problem was in l1/l2 cache, ram, or some other bottleneck/temp issue/etc... Hated to spend so much without a better diagnosis.

    It turns out a 1050 and 6gig of ram are plenty for my situation. When my law practice takes off and I'm a millionaire I'll buy Rick's card the same day I buy that Tesla that extracts fillings.
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    18,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Part of the problem is not being sure that a graphics card alone is a solution. Perhaps the problem was in l1/l2 cache, ram, or some other bottleneck/temp issue/etc... Hated to spend so much without a better diagnosis.

    It turns out a 1050 and 6gig of ram are plenty for my situation. When my law practice takes off and I'm a millionaire I'll buy Rick's card the same day I buy that Tesla that extracts fillings.
    I was using a small form factor desktop to run Cities Skylines and it worked great as is until I tried using a ton of mods and it came crashing to a halt. I am leaning towards getting a low profile GTX1050 Ti but dunno if I want to spend money on a computer when I look at the thing maybe once every couple of months.


    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.

  14. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:


  15. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    31,718

    Default

    My son wants an upgraded video card and memory for his desktop for Christmas. He plays a lot of games online with friends (Steam) and his computer lags a bit.

    How can I figure out what cards and memory are compatible? His computer is approx. 2-3 years old and I got it from Cybertron, which has since been sold/merged with another company.

  16. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Adopted Bronco:
    The Puzzlers
    Posts
    11,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    My son wants an upgraded video card and memory for his desktop for Christmas. He plays a lot of games online with friends (Steam) and his computer lags a bit.

    How can I figure out what cards and memory are compatible? His computer is approx. 2-3 years old and I got it from Cybertron, which has since been sold/merged with another company.
    Find out what motherboard you have and post it in this thread.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard.

  17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:


  18. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Centennial (which is in Colorado)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Meck
    Posts
    15,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    My son wants an upgraded video card and memory for his desktop for Christmas. He plays a lot of games online with friends (Steam) and his computer lags a bit.

    How can I figure out what cards and memory are compatible? His computer is approx. 2-3 years old and I got it from Cybertron, which has since been sold/merged with another company.
    The best way is to find documentation on your motherboard. That will lead to bus speed/slot types so you can determine what the mobo can handle. That's not the only consideration though. Graphics cards (good ones anyway) are juice hogs, so you need to makes sure the powersupply can handle it. There's online calculators for estimating wattage based on your hardware. Then there's little stuff that can be forgotten (such as buying a graphics card only to realize that your monitor's connection type is different or the maximum resolution is a bottleneck).

    If you can post some specs/makes/models, I (and others) may be able to at least point you in the right direction.

  19. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:


  20. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Posts
    31,718

    Default

    Thanks, guys. I'll do this later tonight and post the info.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Rick

Similar Threads

  1. If anyone needs graphics
    By OhSnap! in forum Graphics Gallery and Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
  2. Is this a video/graphics card problem?
    By gnomeflinger in forum Technology and Electronics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
  3. Graphics Help Please!!!
    By getlynched47 in forum Graphics Gallery and Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 08:52 PM
  4. Graphics
    By Cgantz20 in forum Town Hall Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2007, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group