Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New graphics card for PC

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Unless you are using crossfire/SLI, I'm not sure what the benefit of running both is, unless you have multiple monitors or something.
    It's an asus p6x58d/e and it said crossfire enabled on the mobo advert but idk...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

I am running 2 monitors and the 1050 card only has 1 dvi slot, so it actually is an issue for that reason
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    It's an asus p6x58d/e and it said crossfire enabled on the mobo advert but idk...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6X58DE/
    My statement was generic. Crossfire is Radeon's technology for linking 2 cards, and SLI is Nvidia's. I don't think you can mix card types like this.

It's fine to run 2 monitors, if that's what you need it for, but you won't see performance benefit to doing so. If anything, you are just using more juice/causing more heat.

4. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Just order this and a few supportive parts for it and you will be set.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357836/nv...-card-costs-3k

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just order this and a few supportive parts for it and you will be set.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357836/nv...-card-costs-3k
    that's a lot of graphics card

It's been a long time since I built my system, thinking about replacing the graphics card. There's one on amazon for $150 or so, looks like the solution for my laggy ass games. Don't think I need to bump the RAM (at 6gb right now) or CPU.

There you have it.
    I know either Amazon or New Egg has a Geforce GTX 1060 for around $200. It's the desktop version of the card I have in my laptop and my laptop runs pretty much everything I throw at it. I can play most new games on highest settings and get between 60-70 FPS at all times.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I know either Amazon or New Egg has a Geforce GTX 1060 for around $200. It's the desktop version of the card I have in my laptop and my laptop runs pretty much everything I throw at it. I can play most new games on highest settings and get between 60-70 FPS at all times.
    I saw a 1060 for 225, but that's too much money to spend on kid's stuff. I'm a grown man.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I saw a 1060 for 225, but that's too much money to spend on kid's stuff. I'm a grown man.
    Uh... we've seen some of your late night posts.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

You spend a little more now, you'll have a longer gap between now and when you need to spend again the next time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    You spend a little more now, you'll have a longer gap between now and when you need to spend again the next time.
    Part of the problem is not being sure that a graphics card alone is a solution. Perhaps the problem was in l1/l2 cache, ram, or some other bottleneck/temp issue/etc... Hated to spend so much without a better diagnosis.

It turns out a 1050 and 6gig of ram are plenty for my situation. When my law practice takes off and I'm a millionaire I'll buy Rick's card the same day I buy that Tesla that extracts fillings.

Part of the problem is not being sure that a graphics card alone is a solution. Perhaps the problem was in l1/l2 cache, ram, or some other bottleneck/temp issue/etc... Hated to spend so much without a better diagnosis.

It turns out a 1050 and 6gig of ram are plenty for my situation. When my law practice takes off and I'm a millionaire I'll buy Rick's card the same day I buy that Tesla that extracts fillings.
    I was using a small form factor desktop to run Cities Skylines and it worked great as is until I tried using a ton of mods and it came crashing to a halt. I am leaning towards getting a low profile GTX1050 Ti but dunno if I want to spend money on a computer when I look at the thing maybe once every couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

14. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

My son wants an upgraded video card and memory for his desktop for Christmas. He plays a lot of games online with friends (Steam) and his computer lags a bit.

How can I figure out what cards and memory are compatible? His computer is approx. 2-3 years old and I got it from Cybertron, which has since been sold/merged with another company.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    My son wants an upgraded video card and memory for his desktop for Christmas. He plays a lot of games online with friends (Steam) and his computer lags a bit.

How can I figure out what cards and memory are compatible? His computer is approx. 2-3 years old and I got it from Cybertron, which has since been sold/merged with another company.
    Find out what motherboard you have and post it in this thread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8

17. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

The best way is to find documentation on your motherboard. That will lead to bus speed/slot types so you can determine what the mobo can handle. That's not the only consideration though. Graphics cards (good ones anyway) are juice hogs, so you need to makes sure the powersupply can handle it. There's online calculators for estimating wattage based on your hardware. Then there's little stuff that can be forgotten (such as buying a graphics card only to realize that your monitor's connection type is different or the maximum resolution is a bottleneck).

If you can post some specs/makes/models, I (and others) may be able to at least point you in the right direction.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Thanks, guys. I'll do this later tonight and post the info.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information