Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New graphics card for PC

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Hey Guys - sorry for the delay, but my son's room is a pig-sty. Here's the info:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	11568

Hopefully you can read it (click to enlarge).

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

this has some good info about your memory and processor (which sucks btw, sorry), but there's no info on your motherboard. Who built the system? Is there a model number?

edit; Nvm, I think I may see it in there (ms-7721), let me dig.

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    this has some good info about your memory and processor (which sucks btw, sorry), but there's no info on your motherboard. Who built the system? Is there a model number?

edit; Nvm, I think I may see it in there (ms-7721), let me dig.
    ya its a low end msi board...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Unfortunately, I got it from a company called Cybertron. It's a Strike X system, but I don't have time at the moment to see if there's a model number.

Would the motherboard itself have any identifying information? I can open up the system later tonight. Or, I can just drop if off at your house later. I think you live about 2 miles away from me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Unfortunately, I got it from a company called Cybertron. It's a Strike X system, but I don't have time at the moment to see if there's a model number.

Would the motherboard itself have any identifying information? I can open up the system later tonight. Or, I can just drop if off at your house later. I think you live about 2 miles away from me.
    Sure tro' it on da porch, I'll taka look....

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

You could open it up and look directly at the motherboard to try to find the model number. Might be difficult with all the wires though. Make sure it's unplugged an you are grounded before opening it up (which I have to say and yet have never ever heard of anyone practically having an issue from this). Here's a sample of an MSI board using the same chipset, and where the model is (if we are lucky, this is the exact one):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mobo1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	11569

Even if this isn't it, I'm betting it's close enough for our purposes. You'll still need to know what your power supply wattage is rated for (RMS is better, but whatever it says is whatever it says).

It's got PCI-e which is what is important, most all video cards will work, power supply is important, but if it isn't good enough, replacing the power supply is fairly inexpensive.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Gtx 980

most of them used for bit coin farming these days. So price inflated.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Yeah... I would not put that card in this machine. It's like putting a 500 hp engine in a ford fiesta.

A 970 would be top of the line that I'd even consider. And that card is probably worth more than the machine itself, or maybe a 1050
    Last edited by wayninja; 12-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Other than power/connector considerations, I'd probably be considering 2 cards for this machine depending on what you are going to do in the future.

Scenario 1 - This card will likely only live as long as this machine does - Don't spend a lot
    In this scenario, I'd probably go with a nVidia GTX960. I've used this card (and still do) and I find it's got great performance for the money. I can play most games on high or nearly highest settings @ 1920x1060 resolution. I'm sure there are AAA titles out there now that would make this card beg for mercy, but it can basically do most modern stuff. You can get one for about 150$ give or take.

Scenario 2 - You plan on someday upgrading the rest of your hardware and taking the card from this system
    In this scenario, it's much more wide open, but I'd probably look at a Radeon RX580. Still not going to break the bank, but a solid card all around. I doubt there's much currently that you could throw at this card that it couldn't handle. Nothing is future proof, but this card is VR ready if you are into stuff like that and should be a solid card for at least the next 5 years. You can probably get a 4GB version of one these for around the mid 250's. This is one card though that unfortunately suffers from crypto miner inflation. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded my card this year. Getting this card basically assumes that in the future you will be using a VR headset or a higher end 144hz monitor.

11. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Yeah... I would not put that card in this machine. It's like putting a 500 hp engine in a ford fiesta.

A 970 would be top of the line that I'd even consider. And that card is probably worth more than the machine itself, or maybe a 1050
    to be fair people should be upgraded for the next 5 years if they into gaming.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    to be fair people should be upgraded for the next 5 years if they into gaming.
    I won't argue that, it's a fair point. But we aren't talking about buying an entire system, just 1 component with the rest almost at the end of it's usable life. There's a few angles to consider here.

That card though (980) has ridiculously poor price for performance though. I wouldn't even consider getting gouged like that on it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

all high end cards have crazy prices because of bitcoin mining

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    all high end cards have crazy prices because of bitcoin mining
    So.. don't get a high end card. Especially not for that rig. Problem solved.

damn miners

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information