Thread: Joe Namath: Overrated

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default Joe Namath: Overrated

After talking with a NYJ fan friend of mine, he was going on about how bad they need an elite QB and how they haven't had one since Joe Namath.

I said Namath is known for the Guarantee and helping put the AFL on the map. He played with some great Backs, a solid OLine and a nasty Defense. He had a great arm but he was sloppy, had terrible mechanics, awful stats and is the worst QB in the HoF.

He proceeded to having a melt down.

His stats are terrible. More INTs than TDs, more losses than wins, a very mediocre passer rating... He resembles more Cutler than Farve.

He benefited from the NY media and a flamboyant lifestyle and being the sex symbol of the 60s.

Am i alone with my thoughts on Namath? He was thoroughly outplayed by other QBs of the era that arent in the Hall.

Calling Topscribe...
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    After talking with a NYJ fan friend of mine, he was going on about how bad they need an elite QB and how they haven't had one since Joe Namath.

I said Namath is known for the Guarantee and helping put the AFL on the map. He played with some great Backs, a solid OLine and a nasty Defense. He had a great arm but he was sloppy, had terrible mechanics, awful stats and is the worst QB in the HoF.

He proceeded to having a melt down.

His stats are terrible. More INTs than TDs, more losses than wins, a very mediocre passer rating... He resembles more Cutler than Farve.

He benefited from the NY media and a flamboyant lifestyle and being the sex symbol of the 60s.

Am i alone with my thoughts on Namath? He was thoroughly outplayed by other QBs of the era that arent in the Hall.

Calling Topscribe...
    Couldn't agree more re: Namath. The Jets have had a couple of near misses who were better QB's than Namath. Kenny O'Brien was almost there. I really thought Chad Pennington had a real future, but he got derailed by injuries and could never recover.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Couldn't agree more re: Namath. The Jets have had a couple of near misses who were better QB's than Namath. Kenny O'Brien was almost there. I really thought Chad Pennington had a real future, but he got derailed by injuries and could never recover.
    Yeah, but how many of those QBs tried to make out with Suzy Kolber (not sure whether that was the female reporter) while drunk on national television!
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

5. The Following User High Fived MNPatsFan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Not sure I agree. You have to look at the time period. His stats were inline with other QB's of that era.

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Not sure I agree. You have to look at the time period. His stats were inline with other QB's of that era.
    I would argue not. Guys like Kenny Anderson, Bert Jones, Staubach, John Brodie (some years - he defined erratic), Starr, Unitas, Tarkenton, put up numbers in the 60's and 70's that were a lot better than Namath's. Namath had a good '66, a great '67, and won the SB in '68...and that's pretty much it.
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

His numbers were horrific.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

The best QB they had since was Boomer Esiason in his prime.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

In Namath's defense, QBs back then were expected to throw deep more often. No bubble screens, no three-yard outs. Also, his knees were shredded by the time of the merger so he couldn't move much in the pocket. Makes you wonder if he sold the Jets to the devil just to win one Super Bowl for which Tom Brady now says "Ha! He sold out cheap".
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information