Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48

Thread: Broncos Gameday Thread: Broncos vs Raiders 10/01/17

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yes. I am sure. Siemian panicked and rolled too early. Overthrew Derby and was lucky it wasn't intercepted. He made up for it later on the drive, but let's not make the excuses. It was a bad throw and it wasn't meant for Fowler.

There was also room to step up and buy time. As I watch more of Siemian, he doesn't have the greatest feel in the pocket, and tends to make the wrong decision whether to get out of the pocket or step up. It was good coverage, but he could do much better.
    I think both the criticism and defense of Siemian is a bit over the top. The defense is a reaction to what's perceived as over the top crticism, and the criticism is driven by what's seen as over the top defense of Siemian (or in some cases belief Siemian is no more than a backup caliber QB).

I know that we can be hyper sensitive and critical of our QBs. It's the case now and has always been the case. The reality is whether it's Aaron Rodgers or Matt Ryan or Eli Manning, they all make good throws and bad throws. If they didn't all have bad throws, they wouldn't have picks and their WRs would make the highlight reels with amazing catches.

It's like expecting a batter to never hit a grounder to the third baseman or a lazy fly ball to center field. It's an unrealistic expectation.

Even QBs with 5-10 years experience make mistakes, young QBs make them far more often.

Also, we should not forget the Broncos offense isn't going up against blocking dummies, there is a defense on the other side of the field paid to stop the offense. When Carr made his mistakes, was that because he sucks or because the Broncos defense pressured him into making mistakes?

2. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Just so I don't get yelled at (HA!, fat chance)...

The next two throws were really good. A good read on a long pass to Derby down the sideline, out of trips bunch set where Derby got space outside the numbers and then the touchdown on the next play.

Edit addition: For those complaining about play design, selection, etc., that touchdown to Derby was great play design. Get the defensive eyes moving towards the Raiders' sideline with Emmanuel Sanders' motion, Thomas clears the double coverage and Derby just puts a linebacker on skates on a cross (He was playing fullback...another reason you don't need a fullback!).
    He doesn't yet have the pocket presence of an experienced vet, but he also doesn't have the panicked/happy feet that many young QBs have.

No question there are times he's stayed in the pocket, when he should have bailed or thrown it away, and other times he's moved out of the pocket when he's had time.

It's not aided by the fact that the pass protection has been so bad, including pressure up the middle that often makes stepping up a problem, but ultimately that's still on the QB to work with what he has, and make good decisions.

I think he's making progress, but he's still a work in progress, and it's still a case where only time will tell how much better he gets. Right now, I would call him serviceable and I'm happy with where he's at considering the number of games he's started and the level of pass protection, BUT I wouldn't want this level of play out of a 3rd or 4th year vet. Meaning, he needs to keep improving.

That said, as mentioned, I think he is improving, which is why PFF that has not been very flattering of him in his first 16-18 starts referred to this last game as a strong performance and their write up was nearly "glowing" in terms of what he did considering the pressure he's faced.

So, not where we want him to be and still making mistakes, but clearly learning and getting better as a QB, IMO.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    He doesn't yet have the pocket presence of an experienced vet, but he also doesn't have the panicked/happy feet that many young QBs have.

No question there are times he's stayed in the pocket, when he should have bailed or thrown it away, and other times he's moved out of the pocket when he's had time.

It's not aided by the fact that the pass protection has been so bad, including pressure up the middle that often makes stepping up a problem, but ultimately that's still on the QB to work with what he has, and make good decisions.

I think he's making progress, but he's still a work in progress, and it's still a case where only time will tell how much better he gets. Right now, I would call him serviceable and I'm happy with where he's at considering the number of games he's started and the level of pass protection, BUT I wouldn't want this level of play out of a 3rd or 4th year vet. Meaning, he needs to keep improving.

That said, as mentioned, I think he is improving, which is why PFF that has not been very flattering of him in his first 16-18 starts referred to this last game as a strong performance and their write up was nearly "glowing" in terms of what he did considering the pressure he's faced.

So, not where we want him to be and still making mistakes, but clearly learning and getting better as a QB, IMO.
    Also, the pass pro is so inconsistent that I think Trevor has doubts about what will happen on any given play. For example, and I commented on it when it happened, there was a play where Charles was helping Watson and Watson had Mack engaged and moving him back along the pocket. However, just as Trevor was going to move up in the pocket Charles gives Mack a big shove to the inside and right into Siemian. Have no idea why that happened unless Jamaal thought Trevor was going to slip out of the pocket to the right and roll out. Miscommunication, or misreading the play, or whatever, it doesn't give our young QB a lot of confidence.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived LawDog For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Raiders Nation...

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Marquette King fined $9,115 for unsportsmanlike conduct

The NFL fined Raiders punter Marquette King $9,115 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

King attempted a fake punt on fourth-and-11 on his own 33 late in the third quarter Sunday. After he was tackled for a 3-yard loss, King threw the football into the back of Broncos special teamer Andy Janovich.

Officials flagged King, penalizing the Raiders 15 yards.

In the first quarter, King celebrated a 49-yard punt to the Denver 5 by pretending to ride a horse.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nlike-conduct/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

What a tool King was. Never seen a punter so emotive before. Not that it's a bad thing, but he was just an ass.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    What a tool King was. Never seen a punter so emotive before. Not that it's a bad thing, but he was just an ass.
    It seems you're saying that past tense, but he's still an ass.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information