Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Arlington National Cemetery

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Default Arlington National Cemetery

The history of Arlington National Cemetery is unique in our Nation. Since being created during the U.S. Civil War, we - the citizens of this great Nation - have laid to rest veterans and their family members who have served in every conflict. It is our nation's most hallowed ground.

From 30 funerals a day to nearly 4 million visitors a year, the significance and iconic meaning of the cemetery has evolved. Preserving this cemetery as a national shrine for future generations continues this long service to the Nation.

Arlington National Cemetery (ANC) is at another crossroads in its history. In about twenty-five years, ANC will run out of space as an active cemetery to lay to rest our Nation's veterans. In order to significantly extend ANC's capacity, changes to either eligibility criteria and/or expansion of the cemetery's geographic footprint are required.

It is with these factors in mind the Arlington National Cemetery is inviting the public to join in the national dialogue.

Take The Arlington National Cemetery Survey: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/nat...ialogue-survey

2. The Following 7 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I hope they expand the footprint. I guess I'd be OK with changing the eligibility requirements, as there are other national cemeteries like Ft. Logan in Denver. I've had two family members buried there.

It's haunting visiting those places - more so than any other cemetery. I've been to Arlington too. Amazing place.

PS - I didn't take the survey because I'd fail it miserably. I might go back and give it a whirl, just so I can see the correct answers.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I hope they expand the footprint. I guess I'd be OK with changing the eligibility requirements, as there are other national cemeteries like Ft. Logan in Denver. I've had two family members buried there.

It's haunting visiting those places - more so than any other cemetery. I've been to Arlington too. Amazing place.

PS - I didn't take the survey because I'd fail it miserably. I might go back and give it a whirl, just so I can see the correct answers.
    It's a survey to gauge public opinion on how they should move forward with Arlington Joe, not a test brother.

EDIT - I see what you're talking about, the first part of the survey is to see how much you know about Arlington. They're using that to try and gauge how valid the responses are. For instance, if someone gets every question right and says they should expand and another guy gets every one wrong and says just make it really hard to get in to Arlington, they will put more weight on the first guy's responses to the survey.
    Last edited by Davii; 09-29-2017 at 09:52 AM.

5. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    It's a survey to gauge public opinion on how they should move forward with Arlington Joe, not a test brother.
    The link you posted started off with a lot of historical and current questions. As I read through, you're right. I knew it wasn't a "test", but frankly I was a bit embarrassed I didn't know some of the answers.

Also - I was curious your thoughts of the flag flying there. Shouldn't it be flown at half mast?

7. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

I've been to Tomb of the Unknown. Soooo sobering.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post

EDIT - I see what you're talking about, the first part of the survey is to see how much you know about Arlington. They're using that to try and gauge how valid the responses are. For instance, if someone gets every question right and says they should expand and another guy gets every one wrong and says just make it really hard to get in to Arlington, they will put more weight on the first guy's responses to the survey.
    I betting he will still fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I did OK. Wasn't sure about:

Who is eligible to receive military honors funerals at ANC? There were a lot of choices.

Who is currently eligible for burial at ANC? Again, there were a lot of choices.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Military cemeteries are amazing places. I was probably too young to fully appreciate it when I was at Arlington. I go to McPherson several times a year, mostly just to look at some of the graves. There are Buffalo Soldiers buried here.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I did OK. Wasn't sure about:

Who is eligible to receive military honors funerals at ANC? There were a lot of choices.

Who is currently eligible for burial at ANC? Again, there were a lot of choices.
    In a nutshell, anyone who served honorably. I wouldn't be upset if Arlington made it stricter, say only those who served in a combat theater, or during a time of war, etc. I still think they would need to expand, but it would make Arlington last longer, and every other National cemetery should still take anyone who served honorably.

14. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Military cemeteries are amazing places. I was probably too young to fully appreciate it when I was at Arlington. I go to McPherson several times a year, mostly just to look at some of the graves. There are Buffalo Soldiers buried here.
    Have you ever attended a 'Wreaths Across America'? My oldest represented the Marines while home on RA in Dec 2015 at Ft Richardson National Cemetery. We went last year as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Have you ever attended a 'Wreaths Across America'? My oldest represented the Marines while home on RA in Dec 2015 at Ft Richardson National Cemetery. We went last year as well.
    I believe I have. I've attended just about any memorial/support service you can think of. Very somber ceremonies, but poignant.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I find the eternal flame at JFK's grave site to be mesmerizing.

19. The Following User High Fived WTE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

I abstained from taking the survey become I've never been US military. This cemetery was set up to honor those who served and I believe that only they should have a say in any changes to be made.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Can't you just reuse the graves of those long since decomposed. Move their headstone and enter the old details in a tomb of remembrance or wall of remembrance?

In Germany you rent a grave, and are responsible for its upkeep, most leases are twenty years, then if not renewed the plot gets reused.

At least that's what an old German lady told me once, I have no idea of its true, but I like the idea of it

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Can't you just reuse the graves of those long since decomposed. Move their headstone and enter the old details in a tomb of remembrance or wall of remembrance?

In Germany you rent a grave, and are responsible for its upkeep, most leases are twenty years, then if not renewed the plot gets reused.

At least that's what an old German lady told me once, I have no idea of its true, but I like the idea of it
    No.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information