Thread: Former Broncos head coach Red Miller passes away at the age of 89

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Default Former Broncos head coach Red Miller passes away at the age of 89

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Robert “Red” Miller, the former Broncos head coach who changed the trajectory of the franchise 40 years ago, passed away Wednesday morning. He was 89 years old.

Miller, who was elected to the Broncos’ Ring of Fame in May, transformed the Broncos’ fate during his four seasons as head coach of the team.

After taking over as the eighth head coach in Broncos history in 1977, Miller led the Broncos to a 40-22 regular-season record and a 2-3 playoff mark over four years.

In that first season, Miller put together a year that was unlike any before in Denver.
    Miller’s Broncos earned a 12-2 regular-season mark and captured Denver’s first division title. In their first trip to the playoffs, the Broncos beat the reigning Super Bowl-champion Oakland Raiders in the AFC Championship to make their first Super Bowl appearance.

Following that 1977 season, Miller was named the NFL Coach of the Year by the Associated Press and K.C. 101 Club.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to Red’s entire family, especially his wife, Nan,” Broncos President and CEO Joe Ellis said. “Red was a beloved member of the Broncos’ family. He left a great impact on this franchise by laying the foundation for our championship tradition and was so proud to be part of our first Super Bowl team 40 years ago.

“You could tell how much the Broncos meant to Red, and he’s meant so much to everyone here. Red was overjoyed to get that phone call in May notifying him of his Ring of Fame selection, and we’re all very saddened that he won’t be able to join us when we honor him in November.”

Miller would lead the Broncos to another AFC West title in 1978, and his teams qualified for the playoffs each year from 1977-79.

During his time leading the team — fueled by the Orange Crush defense featuring Paul Smith, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Louis Wright and Billy Thompson — Miller never had a losing season.

Miller will be inducted posthumously as the 32nd member of the Broncos’ Ring of Fame on Nov. 19, when the Broncos host the Cincinnati Bengals. Many of Miller’s former players will be in attendance.

Miller is survived by his wife, Nan; son, Steve; stepson, Jeff; and five grandchildren.
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...e-3174eee03a41

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

RIP coach. "We want the rest of the league to think Denver is a good team. And we are a good team."

Robert "Red" Miller - After AFC Championship Game, 1/1/78.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

So sad he didn't make it to his induction in November.

RIP Red. You helped make this franchise one of the best in the NFL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	11125

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

RIP Red. You were a great coach and a great person.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Let's win this game for Red Miller!

10. The Following 4 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

RIP very sad to lose anyone with the Broncos family.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

12. The Following 3 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

The current players weren't even born when Red was coaching the Broncos. How are they supposed to be inspired by a man they've never known until his death is announced?

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    RIP coach. "We want the rest of the league to think Denver is a good team. And we are a good team."

Robert "Red" Miller - After AFC Championship Game, 1/1/78.
    "It's all over fat man!"
    Tom Jackson - during AFC Championship Game, 1/1/78

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

I met Red once at a car dealership and we were in a TV commercial for the place. I was an extra wearing a mechanic shirt in the background. Red & I stood around with nothing to do but small talk. I was a nervous kid and tried to talk football with him for about a half hour until the cameras rolled. That was it. He was a really nice man.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

I became a Broncos fan even though I am from South Florida because my friend was the nephew of Rubin Carter. Former NT and a part of the orange crush. When I was 7 I became a Broncos fan and that was the year they went to XII. Well, every year my friend would have a birthday party at his uncles house. I do remember getting thrown into the pool by Mr Carter. He basically shotputted (that how you spell that?) us into the pool. I remember that being a lot of fun.

I think it was 1979, I got to make a trip up to Denver with my friend. We got to meet the players and we met Red Miller. He was great with us. Left an impression. It was a home game against the Patriots and the Broncos probably had their best performance in that game in years. They won 45-10. I remember Mr Miller after the game trying to convince Rubin Carter to get us to come up to more games. I clearly remember Rubin Carter actually scoring the first TD of the game. I think it was the first. Recovered a fumble in the end zone. My friend and I were jumping all over each other.....could not believe it.

It was pretty funny. That was the only time I have ever been to Denver. What a trip.
    Last edited by Broncoknight30; 09-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    I became a Broncos fan even though I am from South Florida because my friend was the nephew of Rubin Carter. Former NT and a part of the orange crush. When I was 7 I became a Broncos fan and that was the year they went to XII. Well, every year my friend would have a birthday party at his uncles house. I do remember getting thrown into the pool by Mr Carter. He basically shotputted (that how you spell that?) us into the pool. I remember that being a lot of fun.

I think it was 1979, I got to make a trip up to Denver with my friend. We got to meet the players and we met Red Miller. He was great with us. Left an impression. It was a home game against the Patriots and the Broncos probably had their best performance in that game in years. They won 45-10. I remember Mr Miller after the game trying to convince Rubin Carter to get us to come up to more games. I clearly remember Rubin Carter actually scoring the first TD of the game. I think it was the first. Recovered a fumble in the end zone. My friend and I were jumping all over each other.....could not believe it.

It was pretty funny. That was the only time I have ever been to Denver. What a trip.
    I remember that game for an entirely different reason. I was living near Houston at the time and was blacked out from the NBC doubleheader - Oakland at Houston followed by New England at Denver - so I decided to spring for a motel room in LaGrange, TX (home of the famed 'Chicken Ranch") and pulled up a chair in front of the room's tv and watched the doubleheader from Austin television.

Houston won the first game and the play everyone remembers was Jack Tatum laying a goal line lick on Earl Campbell which looked like a bomb detonating. Yet Earl was strong enough to stay upright and stagger backwards into the end zone for the touchdown. Following that, the Broncos gave Steve Grogan a concussion near his own goal line but it took a couple of series (and turnovers) before the Pats figured it out and pulled him from the game. Just then, a front arrived and it began snowing like crazy. Neither offense could move after that and the Broncos laughed their way through a winter wonderland win.

The motel had a restaurant attached and I loved the whole day. What a great investment.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

21. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    I remember that game for an entirely different reason. I was living near Houston at the time and was blacked out from the NBC doubleheader - Oakland at Houston followed by New England at Denver - so I decided to spring for a motel room in LaGrange, TX (home of the famed 'Chicken Ranch") and pulled up a chair in front of the room's tv and watched the doubleheader from Austin television.

Houston won the first game and the play everyone remembers was Jack Tatum laying a goal line lick on Earl Campbell which looked like a bomb detonating. Yet Earl was strong enough to stay upright and stagger backwards into the end zone for the touchdown. Following that, the Broncos gave Steve Grogan a concussion near his own goal line but it took a couple of series (and turnovers) before the Pats figured it out and pulled him from the game. Just then, a front arrived and it began snowing like crazy. Neither offense could move after that and the Broncos laughed their way through a winter wonderland win.

The motel had a restaurant attached and I loved the whole day. What a great investment.
    Yeah, that is what I had remembered. That trip was the first time I had ever seen snow. That whole trip, is still the best trip I ever had. Just the whole experience I will never forget. I miss those days.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information