Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: By the Numbers: Week 3

Default By the Numbers: Week 3

It was really hard sitting down to do this for week three. I struggled to even get it written up, however, dejected and annoyed as I was by our outing, the show must go on. This is not the end of our season.

Offensively
    Total Yards: 11th with 355.7 YPG
    1st downs: 4th with 23/G
    3rd down percentage: 1st with 52 pct (I figured this would come crashing down, but it only dropped 1 percent. We still moved the ball well, we just didn't finish drives this week)
    Time of Possession: 5th with 32:32 (this one did trend down by a decent margin this week. Even as bad as we did, we were only 30 seconds off of a 50/50 split of time of possession vs the Bills)

Passing
    Yards per game: 20th with 212.17 YPG
    Touchdowns 4th with 6
    1st downs: 14th with 36 pass plays resulting in a first down
    1st down %: 14th with 36% of all passes resulting in a first down.
    20+ yards: 7th with 12 (shocked to see us this high)
    40+ yards: 15th with 1
    Sacks allowed 12th with 9
    QB rating 19th with 87.5
    QB Hits: 13th with 18 (starting to look like maybe our o-line is doing better than we think)

Rushing
    Yards Per Game: 3rd with 143.0
    Touchdowns 7th with 3
    1st downs: 2nd with 25 runs resulting in a first down
    1st down %: 7th with 25.5 percent of all runs resulting in a first down.
    20+ yard runs: 3rd with 3
    no runs of 40+

Special Teams
    Kick Return Average: 2nd with 28.4
    Punt Return Average: 4th with 14.0

Defensively
    Total Yards: 4th with 263 YPG
    3rd down %: 3rd with 29
    Defensive TOP: 4th with 27:28
    Sacks: 17th with 7 (this goes hand in hand with the issues I'll highlight under passing defense)

Passing
    Average Yards: 10th with 203 YPG
    TD's allowed: 31st with 7 (this should be throwing up two warning signs...1st. The number of touchdowns combined with the low yardage tells us we're giving up a short field frequently, often due to turnovers and 2nd. Our pass defense isn't stopping TD's anymore. Neither of these are positive signs)
    Interceptions: 3 (another troubling sign. We aren't turning the ball over anymore. Without the consistent pressure on the QB, the No Fly Zone looks more like the "Where would you like to fly today zone"

Rushing
    Average Yards: 1st with 59.7 YPG (this is the bright spot. These are legit numbers considering the RB's we've faced so far. If we can get a pass rush going, this defense is going to get itself back on track and be a powerhouse)
    1st down %: 1st with only 11.6 percent of rushing attempts ending in a first down (only 8 ground first downs allowed)
    TD's 1st: We have not allowed a rushing TD this season through three games.

Sorry for not going as in depth this week, feel free to add any stats I missed, but I'm crunched for time today. Looking at week 3 vs week 2, there are still promising changes to note, especially the jump to 1st overall rush defense. We've actually improved in several important categories, and we didn't decline in nearly as many as you would have expected coming out of a poor showing.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

You know there are sites that list all this right.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Of course there are, I got most of this from nfl.com But this is a weekly series I do compiling everything into one thread for easy viewing. It's also a place where people can add their own stats and discussions.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Yeah, it's called right ******* here.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Frey likes to play around with the numbers and look at them from different ways. It's like outlining for a class. Good stuff Frey.

too bad all yo numbers don't mean shit if I disagree with them1111!!1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Frey likes to play around with the numbers and look at them from different ways. It's like outlining for a class. Good stuff Frey.

too bad all yo numbers don't mean shit if I disagree with them1111!!1
    Someone's just jelly of my mad statistician skills!

10. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Someone's just jelly of my mad statistician skills!
    I'm sure someone is...I'm not sure why they would be, though.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Of course there are, I got most of this from nfl.com But this is a weekly series I do compiling everything into one thread for easy viewing. It's also a place where people can add their own stats and discussions.
    Appreciate the info Frey, saves a ton of time and digging for everyone.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

From a poster on the reddit version of this post

Total DVOA: 8.2% (13th)
    Offensive DVOA: 3.1% (15th)
    Defensive DVOA: -10.7% (9th)
    Special Teams DVOA: -5.5% (28th) (this lends credence to the short field issue regarding defensive TD's allowed)
    Football Outsiders: Week 3 DVOA rankings

Second to last prong - that isn't true for the last game, though, is it?

Second to last prong - that isn't true for the last game, though, is it?
    It's from the week three games so, I would assume so.

I mean to say that in the last game, did they not literally give up most of the points in the second half on a short field? I know the Bills got one drive that went the distance in like 4 plays.

18. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

I mean to say that in the last game, did they not literally give up most of the points in the second half on a short field? I know the Bills got one drive that went the distance in like 4 plays.
    Mo was trying to use the lack of total yards to defend our pass defense, while throwing shade on the offense. It's like "uh dude, if they have a short field, and it results in a TD, that means that A. Pass D didn't do their job and B. the total yards stat, it's going to be low due to having a short amount of yardage to travel"

It was a slap to the face of both the defense who couldn't stop Tyrod from completing passes, and the offense who put them in a bad field position. Blame deserves spread evenly over the toast that is our team like peanut butter and jelly.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I still feel like the defense allowed us to stay in the game and the offense just simply couldn't muster shit in the 2nd half. The defense doesn't get a pass, but they did ok. We are a bit spoiled with this D, so we notice a big slide when they have a below average day.

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I still feel like the defense allowed us to stay in the game and the offense just simply couldn't muster shit in the 2nd half. The defense doesn't get a pass, but they did ok. We are a bit spoiled with this D, so we notice a big slide when they have a below average day.
    The offense did ok in the second half...The problem is we'd click off 2-3 first downs, then Trevor would run backwards and it would be 2nd and 20, or we'd get a penalty and it'd be 1st and 20 and we'd basically stall out. This is not an offense that can dig themselves out of a hole. Even if it's 1st and long, it's not likely we'll convert. 10 yards or less, we tend to find a way, 10+, forget about it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information